bad to nap after a workout?

• Hi! I'm new, and joined because I have a question I can't seem to find an answer to! Is it a bad idea to nap after working out? I tend to wake up early and go to the gym because I know I won't go, if not then, so when I get home I am just exhausted sometimes...is it bad for you? Does it counteract your weighloss??

If anyone knows, fill me in! Thanks!
  • I hope it's not bad to nap after a workout! On Sundays I usually wake up early and go for a long run, and when I get home I'm so tired I often nap a little. I don't have any research to back it up, but I think it may even be good to nap after a hard workout. First of all, your muscles get a chance to recover while you sleep. Also, I find that after a long run I want to snack on everything in sight. If I sleep I can't eat ;-) Last but not least, if a nap is what you need in order to get to the gym, then feel good about going to the gym, and think of the nap as well deserved rest afterwards!
  • I see nothing wrong with taking a nap after a workout... I've done it several times in my life with no adverse side effects... I have gotten up at 4:30am to get to the gym, come back at 6:30am, snoozed then go to work....You should always eat after a workout though, within half an hour, to feed the muscles you have just worked so hard. After a cardio I will have a complex carb like oatmeal after a weight workout I will have a low glycemic carb like strawberries in a whey protein shake...after a cardio and weights workout I will have the strawberries and protein shake...
  • Like you Mari when I get up early to workout I am often exhausted and can't imagine an entire day ahead of me without a nap. Haven't noticed any side effects, but make sure you cool down first and don't drop into bed still sweaty and hot from your workout. Bad for your muscles.
  • Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input!
    Take care!