Here It Is! My Big Weight Loss Secret!!!

You're on Page 4 of 8
Go to
  • Quote: There is no easy way. There is no easy way. Say it again, and again, until you believe it. What you weigh is a combination of what goes in your mouth and out of your body as physical effort. It isn't easy, but it is knowledge that will last you a lifetime. It also doesn't matter how long it takes, as long as you keep going in the right direction.

Some people want the weight to come off as fast as possible. Personally, I think that what the scale says five, ten, or forty years from now is a lot more important than what it says a month from now. And don't forget, your health is gauged by a lot more than just a number on the scale. Skinny people can be unhealthy, too.
    I always remember what Pa Ingalls said to Laura in one of the Little House books - I think it was "Little Town on the Prairie" - paraphrasing here - "Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was anything else worth having".

But hard work doesn't need to mean 'bad' or 'something to avoid'. Remember reading "The Good Earth" by Pearl S. Buck in high school? (one of my all time favorite reads, BTW). During the entire book, Wang Lung was always happiest when he was working hard on his land. His wife, O-lan, was always most content when she was working - in her home or by her husband's side in the fields. It was the satisfaction from that hard work - and the results - remember the part where Wang Lung, O-lan, his father and their baby son were sitting in their house filled with the results of their hard labors - their bountiful harvest and 'richness and reserve' of the silver hidden in the wall?

I remember just recently (about 5 years ago) when I was first learning to ride English and I just COULD NOT GET the posting thing down (you know, rising out of the saddle at the trot - specifically getting the right diagonal). It was SO FRUSTRATING! for MONTHS I couldn't get it...but now it's just second nature. Sure it took a lot of hard work, but it was well worth the effort.

IMO a lot of your results depend on the JOY and positive energy you put into it. How boring would life be if everything came easy? Pretty darn boring IMO!
  • As partners in my weight loss success I would like to thank the makers of the following products:

1. VELAMINTS. Especially the vanilla mint ones...I buy them 24 boxes at a time now...just don't eat a whole box in a day - your tongue will hurt. please don't ask how I know that

2. Dreyers Slow Churn low fat ice cream...

3. Ruffles Light - who needs prunes when you can have OLESTRA? And I know if I eat too many I will be SORRY...
  • GINA what a riot!!
  • Thank you Mrs Jim for reminding me of how good I felt when I lost a huge amount of weight last year and how much of my life I have lost by putting it all back on. I feel inspired. Thank you again.
  • Thank you... I have been a lurker for a while, and have decided that now is the time to get my life and my body back...

Your post makes such perfect sense!
  • MrsJim, thanks for such a great post - and thanks for stickying it so I could see it. I've had some good success with my weight loss over the past year, and people around me are noticing (especially at work). One of the most surprising things I found was they all asked me "how did you do it"...and even more surprising is the disappointed looks on their faces when I told them how. Just watching how much I eat, watching what type of food I eat, and lastly exercise. I was kind of amazed at how disappointed everyone was with my answer. It's like they all expected me to hand them a little pill and say, "here, swallow this my dear and 30 lbs will melt away right now"...or "I went on a cabbage diet for three days and lost it all, it was so easy!".

I really related to your post.
  • "I went on a cabbage diet for three days and lost it all, it was so easy!".

I love that quote! I do so wish I could get to my goal and be able to say that! I'm just getting started, so it will be quite some time before I can use the line! Thanks.
  • Very Inspirational
    Wow! I am so impressed by your words. I've also struggled with my weigh since about the age of 13. I was a skinny child, but during times of strife during those hard teen-age years, I tried to buy happiness with food. Well, now I'm 47 and I've been at my lowest adult weight when I met my husband (I remember it well....I hadn't eaten for 3 days)....awful. Anyhow, I was around 128, but I did warn him that I was normally a fat girl. My highest weight was 242, and I lost 70 pounds about four years ago on a supervised high protein diet. BUT, I got lazy, stressed, overworked (you know all of the excuses) and recently weighed in at 230. This was Jan. 2nd when I joined Curves. I am doing their six week challenge hoping to get on track. I weighed yesterday and was down 9 pounds, so that's very encouraging. I really have to monitor myself and make sure that I eat what they have on program. I catch myself going to old diets and pulling bits and pieces from each one. Bottom line is that I have no moderation in my life. I'm either eating, or I'm not. So, the consequences are that I yo-yo and then my entire metabolism becomes shot. So, my goal is to eat healthy, in moderate (big problem) and exercise daily.
    You have all given me a great way to start my week, and I thank you!
  • Check this post out...
    Wanted to make sure that *EVERYONE* got a chance to see these awesome posts by LovesBassetts (Thanks to Mel for bringing these to my attention!).

This is GOLDEN advice. GOLDEN.

The actual thread is located in the Support forum - see this link.

Post #1:

Quote: This whole weight loss thing has been 100% mental for me, too, and (like I said) my trainer has REALLY helped me shift my attitude and entire way of thinking about food, exercise, body fat, etc.

A couple of the biggest and best tips she's given me:

1. It's NOT about a number on a scale. It's about how your clothing fits.
    2. Protein, protein, protein. Aim for 100 - 140 grams a day.
    3. Be consistent. No excuses. If your goal is exercise 3 days a week, DO IT.

One thing she's really good at is asking great "why" questions when I have a complaint, comment, confession, etc. She's now gotten into my head (so to speak), so when I try to talk myself out of exercise or into a cookie, her "why" pops into my head. Example: if I eat something I really shouldn't have and vent to her about it, she says, "Why'd you eat it?" which makes me really think about it...and the answer is usually boredom, stress, or being tired. Then she'll say, "The next time you reach for something to eat, first ask yourself if you're actually hungry. If you're NOT hungry, ask yourself WHY you want to eat it." It's the same thing with exercise. Cardio, actually, which I despise. I was at the gym Friday and DID NOT want to get on the elliptical. I said to her, "I don't think I'll do cardio today." She said (of course), "Why?" I think I snorted and said, "I don't want to." She looked at me and said, "What DO you want?" LOL...and I said, "to be 135 lbs." So I solved that one on my own and got on the darn elliptical . She's just so fabulous about asking just the right questions at the right time to get me thinking about things...I hope that makes sense.

We also talk a lot about why I was heavy to begin with. And again, it's all about the "why" questions: Why did I gain 50 lbs in college? What was is about college that made me eat so much? Why do I hate vegetables and chicken and CRAVE pasta? Why did I never try to lose weight before? Why did I gain another 30 lbs while I was a teacher?

I won't bore you with all the answers to those questions about me, but I WILL tell you that by breaking down my entire life into little sections -- looking at the times when I gained weight, etc., her questions really helped me focus in on the fact that for me stress + depression = self-medication with food + weight gain. I never made that connection before, but she could see it as an objective observer simply by saying, "Why did you gain 30 lbs as a teacher?" and then listening to me babble on and on during our weight session about the correcting, the parents, the administration, and the sheer EXHAUSTION of dealing with 7th graders all day every day...

As I write this, I'm thinking now that these might be good questions to ask YOURSELF and maybe put down into journal form.

She also asks questions like, "When in your life did you feel MOST healthy?" and then of course, "Why? What was happening in your life then that was different?" And looking back at those healthier times in my life has taught me a lot about what I need in my life to BE healthy. If that makes sense...which it probably doesn't...LOL.

ANYWAY...

She also gave me a whole new perspective on the purpose of food. Which sounds mighty moronic, I know. But for me, food was either (a) bad for you but yummy, (b) good for you but disgusting, or (c) a good, loyal friend on a lonely Saturday night . And despite middle school health class, etc. I never *got* the fact that food is fuel. Food was something my mother never ate (she was anorexic), something my father OVER-ate (he was obese), and something I never learned how to prepare beyond the boil-water-insert-macaroni level. But when I first started out and she had me doing food logs, she went over absolutely everything I was and WASN'T eating. So I learned that my desperate need to sleep every day at 3pm was linked to the fact that all I ever ate was carbs. Etc...

I hope I answered your question, Robin...I fear I may have started babbling BIG TIME!!! As usual.
    and post #2:
    Quote: To continue on with the food is fuel concept...

I used to drink something like 4 - 5 cans of regular Coke a day. And mentally I *thought* I needed it. Like I said, I was a teacher, and somehow I'd convinced myself that I needed the caffeine infusion all day -- 2nd period, 4th period, lunch, faculty meeting, the drive home, etc. When I started seeing my trainer, she said, "How many calories are in one can of Coke?" And LOL...I had no idea. And she taught me a concept that was utterly new to me: "empty calories." Being a nutritional disaster area, I'd never heard of that before. Once I realized I was taking in 500 - 1000 extra, useless, empty calories a day I was like "whoah!" and then took her previous advice to cut back.

I've always known what was "right" as far as food, but I never really understood the WHY -- the MATH behind it.

I also drink a ton of tea, usually in HUGE (10 - 12 oz) mugs...and I never thought about the 3 tablespoons of sugar I used to put in each mug. It makes me sound like an idiot, but I was chugging down hundreds of extra calories a day without even thinking about it...until she pointed it out. Again, she'd already suggested Splenda instead of sugar, but to me it was all about the TASTE of my tea. I think I said something like "no one messes with my tea" . But then she showed me the math. And it clicked.

She also emphasized something that a lot of 3FCers say all the time: BABY STEPS. If you try to change everything all at once, you're setting yourself up for failure. So I cut DOWN on the Coke -- I didn't quit cold turkey. I switched to Splenda. I started reading the nutritional labels on food. She taught me that carbs are basically sugar and that protein goes (practically) straight to your muscles.

I also thought you *had* to lose weight before you started weight training. For some reason I had always thought of the "get toned" process as something for thin people. I didn't know muscle burns calories at rest. I didn't know cardio only was only part of the exercise equation.

MOST importantly, I didn't think I could lose weight. I thought it was 100% GENETIC and that I was destined to be fat forever. My biological mother weighs probably 350 - 400 lbs. She needs a scooter to get around because she is so heavy. And I accepted obesity as my fate. After all, I'd ALWAYS been heavy (or so I thought). How could I possibly lose weight when I hadn't ever been thin? I didn't know what thin WAS.

But slowly....very slowly...she helped me to understand that it WAS possible. That I could do it -- anyone could do it with the right nutritional understanding, perserverence, commitment, consistency, and (most importantly) MINDSET. You have to believe you can do it. You have to tell the negative, self-defeating voice in your head to SHUT UP. And this was probably the hardest thing for me. But as long as you believe in yourself, if you trust the process despite the inevitable set-backs and occasional failures you CAN succeed. And it's easy for me to say that, but unbelievably difficult to put into action.

And the last thing I want to say is something that I wish I could shout from the rooftops: getting fit and healthy CAN change your life. When I complained about my weight in the past, friends would say "being thin won't change your life, Kate. You have to learn to be happy with yourself no matter what size you are." And while that's true on one level, I have to say that (for ME, at least) my life has improved 500% since I started losing weight. Telling my self I COULD do it -- and then seeing progress -- taught me I could do lots of OTHER things, too. I quit teaching, sold my house, and moved to the UK for a year to work on my dream of being a published writer. The old, fat, depressed and self-defeating Kate NEVER would have done that...but the confidence I gained by taking control of my life trickled into other parts of my life. I'm now back in school. I've started a new career that I LOVE. And (the best part) is that some of my writing IS published.

So I guess my (very long-winded ) point is that you have to have faith that all this hard work will not only pay off in weight loss, but it has the serious potential to change your life entirely. I have a confidence now that I haven't had since I was 16. I'm living two dreams simultaneously -- my writing career is (slowly) taking off, and I work with animals. I'm not a different person; I'm the "real" me now. And then there's the "superficial" stuff. I'm wearing size 8 jeans. I feel GOOD everytime I'm out in public. I'm happier, more relaxed, and more willing to interact with other people. I take risks now -- I do things I always wanted to do but never did because I told myself "I'm too fat" or "that takes too much effort," etc.

If there is one thing I want to tell EVERYONE, it's that all the work and struggle and frustration is absolutely, positively, without a single doubt, WORTH IT.

Tell yourself you can do it, and you can.
    One of the unique things about the 3 Fat Chicks forum - and the reason that I rarely or never post at any other weight loss forum - is the fact that we have SO many *STARS* here with SO much valuable info to draw from.

IMO, LovesBassetts is worth more than a solar system of Kevin Trudeaus, Anna Nicoles, and all of the other 'miracle weight loss system' infomercial peddlers out there *AND a bag of chips*

Just my two cents!!
  • Quote:
    One of the unique things about the 3 Fat Chicks forum - and the reason that I rarely or never post at any other weight loss forum - is the fact that we have SO many *STARS* here with SO much valuable info to draw from.

IMO, LovesBassetts is worth more than a solar system of Kevin Trudeaus, Anna Nicoles, and all of the other 'miracle weight loss system' infomercial peddlers out there *AND a bag of chips*

Just my two cents!!

Hear hear!
  • I always remember a cartoon I saw in the paper one day, it had a doctor pointing to a chart that said:
    1. eat less
    2.exercise more
    3. repeat

If only it were that simple!
  • Congrats on the weight loss, everyone!

I understand all about *what* I need to do to lose weight. The problem is making myself *do* it. I literally want my cake and to eat it, too. I want to lose weight, but I want to stuff myself with Swiss Rolls! Any advice? Thanks in advance.
  • Swiss Rolls
    Quote: Congrats on the weight loss, everyone!

I understand all about *what* I need to do to lose weight. The problem is making myself *do* it. I literally want my cake and to eat it, too. I want to lose weight, but I want to stuff myself with Swiss Rolls! Any advice? Thanks in advance.
    I know it sounds funny but Stop buying the Swiss Rolls!!! Take control of what is in your house to eat! When you buy stuff like that and have it in the house you are setting yourself up for failure!!

Teach your family to eat healthy by setting a good example and providing good, healthy food. So there will be resistance and maybe even anger but maybe they will sympathize with you and be willing to make the change with you. At least they can eat their junk away from the house if they absolutley insist on having it.

If you show them you are really trying and putting real effort into your weight loss, they will begin to support your efforts or they may be threatened by them...you need to go on anyway, because it is your life and your health and your future that depends on you losing weight! You cannot let others sabotage you or guilt you into eating inapropriately!

Maybe you are like me and do not buy the food for the family and half the family eats whatever sweets and junk they want and have it all over the house. You just have to walk by and keep walking by it until it is a habit not to have it. You are worth the effort. YOU ARE WORTH THE EFFORT! Dont give up on yourself...YOU CAN DO THIS BUT YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE CHANGES NECESSARY FOR A HEALTHY LIFE!! No one can or will do them for you.

Dont feel like you have to eat all the fattening food in the house before you can start working on your weight. It just gives you more weight to lose and worse habits to break. Throw it away or donate it. So it is wasted money, better than inches on your waist! Get real with yourself! Are you going to do it, make the effort, make the changes or not? That is what it boils down to, how much do you care about your health, your body, your life??
  • Quote: I always remember a cartoon I saw in the paper one day, it had a doctor pointing to a chart that said:
    1. eat less
    2.exercise more
    3. repeat

If only it were that simple!

It is that simple. The trick is ... it's not easy.

Try this .... as many times daily as you need to, think 'is this the right thing to do, right now'.
  • Thanks for the replies!