The Royals' "Slimmin' to Summer Solstice" Challenge!!!!!

You're on Page 1 of 25
Go to
  • Tra-la, it's May and as previously discussed in the Great Hall o' the Royal Palace, methinks we are MOVING ON IN MAY & THE FIRST HALF OF JUNE to a big smashing celebration o' the Summer Solstice (June 21) as proposed by our fabulous Punkinseed!!!!

Amarantha hath beaucoup thoughts about the significance o' the Summer Solstice to -ly folk like us ... for one thing it's the longest day o' the year where most of us live and to me this is a good thing as I really like the sun ... but she hath deigned to spare thee the beaucoupness o' the thoughts and must away from her spacious quarters in the palace soon anyway.

s ... THIS IS A CHALLENGE! LET'S ALL TAKE TIME TO STOP IN THE GREAT HALL TODAY AND PLEDGE WHAT POSITIVE THING(s) WE WILL PERFORM DURING THE MARCH TO THE SOLSTICE AND LET'S REPORT BACK IN ON A REGULAR BASIS!!

No slackin'!!!! This means you, Amarantha!!!!
  • Well, ok, Amarantha, I am taking Punkin's challenge and just notin' here that I, your IC (Inner Child), will be continuing on with my "amended" bootcamp stated yesterday: 280 minutes of exercise per week, any intensity, broken up however it suits me. In the unlikely event that the 280 minutes is not completed each week, the unfinished minutes will be added to the following week (that's why they call it a BOOTCAMP, no slackin' )!!!!!

Amarantha started this with the idea of doing 420 a week, but I, the Inner Child, had a tantrum and A relented!!!

Here's where I am with this so far: Sunday, 60 minute walk, minutes remaining for week 220!
  • I'm signing on to the Summer Solstice Challenge but will need time to process all my thoughts regarding how I can best work on this challenge while working on a few others. But count me in - I'm up for a feisty May.
  • Ho, there Summer Solstice Challenger Anagramatic!!! A feisty May be on the way!!! Huzzah!

Much work today since I didn't do it yesterday, so will just report on my bootcamp minutes: Monday walked one hour with trainer, minutes left to go 160! Hmmmm, maybe this IS a bit too easy on the Inner Child ...

I'm going to be working out once a week with the personal trainer I had before, only this time it's not through the gym so I can get help with a lot more activities that I want to do ... like hiking up the side of a mountain!
  • I'm there!..er..here...wherever.

I have decided to undertake this challenge a week at a time and goals for this week ending Saturday, May 7th are:

1) Increase water intake...that's really been neglected lately.
    2) Daily walk, whether it's around the block or around the neighborhood, just to get out there.
    3) To set up my weight bench that was stuffed in a corner of the laundry room when we moved. Sold the treadmill, but still have the weights.
    4) To start USING the weights/bench again (No getting out on a technicality here!)
    5) No "diet" really, just to watch and make better choices when possible.

There. That's doable.

It's COLD and rainy here today. Blech.

Pitter patter, let's get at 'er!
  • Hello all!

Here I am!

Yes, this is terrific! hmmm

Now, what would really be a challenge....

280 minutes of activtiy a week.... I like that one a lot....

hmmmm

I'll be back soon!

KETTLE IS ON!@
  • hi royals!

thanks for starting the thread, amarantha!

i am definitely up for summer solstice bootcamp. my goals for this challenge are:
    -SMALLER food portions
    -continue with my regular exercise, including:
    tai chi, back exercises, and chair exercises, etc.
  • I'm in! I just need a little extra time to come up with a cunning plan......
  • Hi everyone!
    1 ~ Drink more water
    2 ~ Go for a daily walk

Thanks, Amarantha!
  • HEllo all!

Went to my WW's meeting last night and happily, their scale also showed a loss so I am finally back at goal weight,.... had been .6 above the 2 lb grace allowance since almost the first week after I had met goal.... of course, thinking the maintanance "point allowance" for the week was the day allowance!!! Yikes! ... guess that would explain a gain!

so....

Live and learn...
    Live and learn...

In fact...

That's a good thought for the day....

Take care all!

KETTLE IS ON!
  • CONGRATULATIONS on gettin' back to the "grace" weight, K!!!!

Again, welcome to the Summer Solstice bootcampie challenge to s Anagramatic, Wsw, Eydie, Wildfire, Aria and Amarantha's Inner Child!!!! Huzzah! If I forgot anyone, please accept my -ly apologies and my howdy anyhow!!!

IC is caught up with my exercise minutes and is going to skip today in honor o' the fact that Amarantha hath gone to bed last night instead of finishing the story from heck that was due at midnight and consequently is TRYING to do it now (can we say she's a tad BLOCKED!).

Gotta go!!! Am impressed with all the goals and looking forward to a) getting the story from heck done and b) A FANTAAAAASTIC AND UPBEAT, NOT TO MENTION TOTALLY SUCCESSFUL, CHALLENGE JOURNEY TO THE SUMMER SOLSTICE.

If only that Inner Child would shut up and behave sometimes!!!!
  • Mornin' all!

Sign me up for the great Solstice Slim Down!!!

Goals:
    Some form of exercise 3x week (starting slow)
    Cut out excess sugar (weening myself off!)
    Journal my daily food intake

I decided last night that I'm going to go to WW tonight and get the new program. Points work ok, but I've had the problem from the get-go that I'll spend the points poorly if given the chance. I'm hoping the "new" no counting program is actually them going back to the portions - ya know, 4 proteins, 3 milks, 5 fruit/veggies? Anyone know for sure??

Otherwise, life still throwing one-two punches. Found out an old friend in CA has breast cancer again and not only is she refusing treatment this time, but her doctors don't think she'd survive chemo again if she did want treatment. She's got a 14 year old daughter, somewhat lousy new husband, ex (dd's dad) is all but out of the picture.... a very sad story. I'm trying not to get too emotionally invested in it all, I can't handle it and I know my blubbering would be of NO help. But she knows I'm there if she needs me (although there's nothing any of us can do at this point except just be there).

Hmmmm.... what else..... I guess that's it! Mums and I have some family coming this week - step dad's cousins that never made it up here while he was alive. They're very nice people, but I don't know them that well.... guess that'll change since they're staying with my mom - and that's where my office is!

Must away, work calls!

Terri
  • Welcome to the ranks o' the noble 'n -ly challengers gatherin' in the Great Hall this a.m. Punkin!!! Thanks for thinkin' o' this challenge 'n hope ya don't mind me going ahead and postin' the thread!!!!

Re the Core program, it's not the old portion exchange thing ... it's more there's a list of healthy foods you can eat without doing any counting and then they give you 35 points a week that you can use for other foods not on the no-counting list.

You can find the USDA food exchanges online, though, and plans for implementing that kind of a portion controlled diet ... actually even the Richard Simmons food mover program is based on that ... I also used to have a good website addy for the exchanges, where you could do meal planning and logging for free, but it's lost in cyberspace ... ya can google and probably find it.

Sorry about your friend's health situation ... hopefully she will reconsider her treatment options, even though the prognosis might not be good ... many times people do better than expected and it'd be a shame not to try.

Finished with story from heck and must rest a bit before heading to newsroom as one of my vows is now to always be rested and ok before taking the wheel of a car!

Later, gators!
  • Well, the roster is growing.

While I was taking my time and about to come up with "the best challenge plan ever", life sort of happened (that old one-two punch, Punkin) and my challenges were sort of set for me.

Basically it will be to just hang on the the wagon. I've been doing fairly well despite the prednisone and not seeing a major gain after about ten days worth - been using the nervous energy to tackle all sorts of little projects - can't concentrate long enough for big ones - but little things need to get done as well.

Then DHs bloodwork took a turn for really bad and looks like he'll be having the surgery soon to prepare him for going back on dialysis. Which will likely occur about the end of this challenge. He's also been having trouble walking because he's been swollen and goutish, etc.

SO ---

Next two and a half weeks on prednisone - struggle with ravenous food demons, continue getting enough fluids, etc., etc. Continue/improve w/exercise. (Yard work coming up!)

Continue/improve stress relieving meditation, prayer, counting the good things. See dh through the next few rough weeks (thank goodness, he's a gem and a trooper) and just keep on keeping on.

Will try to keep coming to court but some days may be more quiet than usual. Don't want to dump all the bad stuff in the Grand Hall. We have, always, so much more good than bad and I want to concentrate on that. Somehow, though, I think this is going to be One Tough Challenge.
  • anagram, we have a special place in the palace where any Royal, such as you, can visit and unload whatever burden they may be carrying, even if only for a short while, and she will be met with a sisterly hug, a comforting hand, and a knowing nod. Of course, there is always a good strong shot of scotch or a soothing cup o'tea, whichever one needs/prefers. We are here for you anytime, my dear.

Took today off work to attend to some personal matters. Walked for an hour, food okay, need to work on more water.

Punkin, sorry to hear of your friend's illness. Very sad situation.

Aria, I don't think I've officially welcomed you! Welcome! Glad you are with us.