OA OR Weight watchers?

• I am currently on WW. I started at 149lbs and hover at 144-146 lately. My goal is 135 - so I don't have a lot to lose but, one of my problems is that I overeat. Some weigh ins I gain 3-4lbs in a week! It is a vicious cycle. I am just wondering if anyone is doing both the OA and WW? I am wondering if I should be at OA to deal with these issues I am having that don't seem to be going away.
    Any advice, comments or thoughts would be appreciated.
  • OA and Weightwatchers
    I started at 298 lbs and lost about 60 with weightwatchers but found I needed something more to get to the next level. For me it really has been about recognizing and dealing with other issues that I have dealt with through food.

I am now down 98 lbs and know I will get to my goal. I am in a group that supports individual eating plans and sees no problem with the WW program. I also find I take OA thoughts to my WW group and people appreciate it.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Kari
  • Wow
    Katie, your story and stats are phenominal! Thanks for sharing and congratulations.
  • Mama, I would think that if your overeating isn't caused by cravings brought on by sugar, you might want to look into OA. There was a poster in SBD just the other day who said she often saved all her flex points for Sunday and ate way beyond them anyway. I think that if you are an overeater, the structure of points can help you, but so can getting sugar out of your diet and the help of groups like OA. You might want to check into it. Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • I am doing wwers and attending OA meetings.
    Please PM me if you want to email.
  • Lynn, I removed your email address from your post because spammers will pick it up very quickly. PMing is safer for giving out your email address.
  • OA and WW can work together. I would do both
  • OA website is helpful
    Hi,
    I too have stepped on that WW scale a many of times in my 31 years and I recently returned to OA this weekend. Last year I had went for about 5 months had surgery and then my old habits came back and OA was out of the picture. Just recently I realized how bad it was getting for me. If you have any doubts that you just need to lose some pounds, or if you truly have a problem with food addiction you should check out the OA website, there is a questionaire that helps you decide if you need help or not. OA is not a diet, its a lifestyle change that helps put you back in control with support, guidance, and spirituality. Meal plans are'nt discussed with anyone but your food sponsor or anyone else you want to share with but during meetings they are not handed out, forced on you or anything like that, the meetings are to see that there are others just like you and that support is always there. I hope this helps. Good luck with what ever choice you make.
  • Doreane, great post! Thank you for your input!
  • I also do both and find it the only way to truly get at the heart of what makes me tick. WW gives me the structure I need (because I am powerless) and OA gives me a path to obtain help from a higher power and to better the flaws in my nature that cause me to want to overeat. I think they are a very good duo. I have been in relapse for many months and have just gotten back OP.

It's scarey and difficult but praying for help and talking about the truth on my day - each day - is helping me get back on the positive side of the fence.

Radiodoll
  • I thought about doing both but I don't want to start obsessing about the scale any more than I already do. In the past I would end up not eating for a couple days before weigh-in and then binging afterward. I don't want to set myself up to have that happen again.
  • Hi,
    I recognized my own behaviour in what you just said... going to WW and starving myself a few days before being weighed, only to allow myself to binge right afterwards. I looked at the OA questionnaire in the book "Why can't I stop eating?", and answered yes to all but a couple of questions. I have never read another weight-related book that had such a huge impact on me. I saw myself in so many of the behaviours they discussed. However, I'm still putting off going to an OA meeting. Partly I"m finding it hard to squeeze one in (i have a 2 yr old and a 4 month old and a husband who is not altogether enthusiastic about my going)... or maybe that's just an excuse. I am now reading "12 steps for overeaters", which is inspiring me even more!
    I'd love to hear what people's experiences were of their first OA meeting. Maybe that will give me some courage!
    Good luck with whatever you decide !
    Liisa
  • For anyone who cannot make it to a face-to-face OA meeting (or for anyone who needs a meeting in between meetings) there are on-line meetings every 3 hours. Check:

http://www.therecoverygroup.org/meetings/index.html

Good luck!