Singles Supporting Singles #4

You're on Page 8 of 11
Go to
  • Sounds like a marvelous trip, lilybutt! Thanks for telling us about it. I used to not have a lot of interest in seeing Europe but, now that I have seen some pictures of someone's European cruise and all the beautiful architecture and scenery, I'm a lot more interested! I also remember loving the Italian seaside scenery in the movie The Talented Mr. Ripley.

So glad you enjoyed your trip and good to have you home safely (jet lag and all hehe).
  • hi
    hi singles! busy,busy weekend! of course i had to work all weekend. then i called off today. when i got up my eyes were puffy and my hand stiff. i think it is from the heat. i took my water pill and not i am feeling better. it is hard to take them on the weekend because i am not always near a bathroom.

sheriva - sounds like your "grumps" are still at bay. i can all to well relate to them. i am glad you are feeling better and i hope this week is much better for you. at least we have a long weekend to look forward too.

lilybutt - your trip sounded wonderful. i never heard that the "french" were not so nice. i just finished reading "French Women Don't Get Fat" and France sounds like it would be nice to visit. i guess it would make it sound nice or else the book wouldn't sell. she did say that they can't believe the way our culture regards eating, so i guess that applies in other areas too. anyways, i did like the book too, it was interesting to read about the way french women regard eating.

wanderlust - tops is "take off pounds sensibly". it is a support group. they don't emphasize so much a specific eating plan. i like it, but i had to go back on 2nd shift and had to quit. it is also much cheaper.i think i am going to check out today's meeting.

well, i'm of to get something accomplished today. i don't know what yet though. have a good monday!
    kathy
  • hi
    hi singles! looks like we are fizzling off again so here is a bump up. i hope everyone is having a good week. tomorrow will be a busy day at work as it is the last shipping day.

i did make it to my tops meeting and it was most of the same girls there. i can't believe they are still going. they were very happy to see me again. i think i will be much happier there instead of ww. i also like their scales better, i was about 5lbs less than the ww scale.

anyway, i have a busy weekend planned. i am going up to the lake for sat/sun and then i have to get my bathroom finished around that. i have to get this house in tip top shape before my mom comes on july 19th. busy, busy, busy. anyone else have any fun plans for the 4th??

happy thursday!
    kathy
  • No big plans for the 4th here. My group of friends tend to be a spontaneous lot who aren't much into advance planning. LOL I did get invited to a picnic down by the Potomac River where you can see the DC fireworks from the Virginia side, but I don't think I'm going to go. Since I love seeing movies and haven't seen any in a while, I think I may try to catch up on seeing a few movies like War of the Worlds over the long weekend. We'll see!
  • Hi
    hi singles! had to get on computer to check something so i thought i'd drop in. i probably won't be back till next week.

sheri - i hope you enjoy your movies. i don't see them till months later. i watch more during the winter months.

well, i'm off to pack my weekend bag and cooler. have a happy 4th!
    kathy
  • Hi all...sorry I have been out of touch. Life got away from me again... some day I will learn to control my life instead of it controlling me . I'm tired of always paying attention to the "should-dos" instead of the "want-to-dos" if you know what I mean.

Weight loss is doing pretty well. I've lost all the weight I put back on and now it's going back in the right direction. Enjoying all the fresh in-season fruits and vegies. Tried a Santa Clause Melon. I bought it on a whim and rather enjoyed it. Kind of tasted like watermelon, but the seeds were all in the center like a cantaloupe, so it was easier to eat. I've been trying to vary my diet some as I tend to eat the same things alot.

No plans for the fourth either. A friend from work who happens to be a master gardener is coming over to give me some advice on my yard. Half of me is excited for some new ideas, the other half is embarassed about how much more work I have to do out there. I've been in my house almost 9 years and this is the first summer I've had the energy to get out and put in significant time in cleaning it up.

Welcome back, Lillibutt. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I went to Germany/Austria once about 20 years ago and it was a blast. I'm glad you tried everything in the way of food. There is a definite time to indulge and that was it.

Kat & SheriaVa - this group would die without you two! Thanks for that. I don't contribute as much as I want to, but I do look forward to visiting when I am able. I find both of you and your perseverence an inspiration.
  • Hi folks! Cat: thanks for the TOPS info. Glad the meeting went well for you! I'm not sure I can go to meetings... My weight is my personal nightmare - I don't think I can face other people - even for support. It feels intensely shameful.

It's been a bit challenging lately. I can't get out of my head: I'm feeling super self-conscious lately... I'm so uncomfortable in my body. The only upside is that I hope this motivates me to try and not feel like this forever.

Thanks for "listening".
  • Hello to all.....
    Well I am back on track (I hope).....I have about a week and 1/2 on my own....friends on vacation and no plans! So I am going to use this time to get back on the diet and get back to exercise! I leave for another vacation on the 14th.....just a long weekend on the beach.....so I would like to be under control by then!

Wanderlust....I know how you feel.....I have been self conscience lately too....it is TOM that is contributing to my feeling of BLAH.....but I do feel icky in general too...getting back on track will help me I am sure.

Janet....I laughed bout your yard....mine is the same way...actually this year I choose not to deal with the lawn and the weeds filled in and actually made it green!!!! LOL...I need to get on top of that too!

Everyone else....enjoy the 4th!!! I have no plans and like it that way...maybe I will read some books I want to read or go to the movies.....It will be all about me this weekend!!!

Lilybutt
  • Can I join you?
    Hello, I was reading your thread and it seems very cosy in there and I am wondering If by any chance I could be part of your group I am from california and I need to loose about 55 lbs, I am separated from my husband and have a soon to be 3 years old son,
    I have gained about 60 lbs for my pregnancy, lost 35 after birthing and gainded 15 back since the birth of my son, I first put all that weight on being depressed by the situation with my husband, but now he is gone and I am still fat!!! so, anyway I am also trying to find someone to budy up with and maybe we can support each other in good times and bad times.
    Oh, by the way i am 37 year old, my spelling sometimes get screwed up and my use of the english language too, but you have to pardon me for that I am not a native english speaker.
  • Wanderlust - I wish I had something inspirational to say...we have all felt the way you are right now, but perhaps have not expressed it so clearly. I have felt there were times in my life that everyone was watching me and pointing at me behind my back. When I walked down the street and passed some teenagers and heard them laughing I swore they were laughing at me (****, they probably were). I've gotten to the point in my weight loss that I really don't care what people think. If someone I don't know and will never probably see again thinks I'm fat, so what? What's the worst? They will forget all about me 10 minutes after they see me, so I'll be damned if I will let their momentary feelings drag me down or make me feel less of a person. There are some really physically gorgeous people out there who are truely ugly because who they are inside. I don't know where you're coming from, but I like who I am on the inside, and now it's time for me to work on the outside. And because my outside just happens to be a bit larger than most, doesn't mean I am any less worthy of respect from others and myself. You've gotta do what feels comfortable for you, and we'll be here in cyberspace to support you. Do a group when you feel ready, but it probably won't be as bad as you think!

Lillybutt - I read you about the weeds. If I killed them off my yard would be dirt. And dandelions and Creeping Charlie can be kinda pretty if you look at them closely!

Bouba - welcome! Don't worry about your English - it sounds pretty good from where I'm sitting. I'm sorry to hear about your marital problems, but we can help support you with the weightloss part!
  • Hi everyone,

Guess everyone is off doing the 4th of July thing - whatever that may be. I am engaging in my usual exciting pasttimes - laundry and balancing the checkbook. The excitement is overwhelming!

Just checking in to say hi and wish everyone a wonderful - and safe- 4th!
  • LOL I know.....exciting weekend huh??!!! I was invited out to a friends for fireworks tonight (the 3rd), but choose to stay hom instead....really enjoyng the time alone I guess...read a book and 1/2 this weekend, mowed the lawn, went for a 3 mile walk, grocery shopped, vacuumed the house, did 4 loads of laundry (including bed linens), made dinner for myself both nights on my new gas grill, went a visited a friend, and played with kitties! I can her the fireworks going off about a mile from here, I will walk outside later and see if I can see them, but I doubt it...oh well, i have bad memories of fireworks with exs.....always resulted in a fight of some kind it seems.

I am looking at this weekend as a time to exert my independence and care for myself...gave mayself a pedicure last night.....might go get my nails done tomorrw, not sure it the mall is open, but I suspect it is....and ate healthy meals....LIFE IS GOOD!!!!

I wish all the singles freedom and independence!!!

Lilybutt
  • Happy 4th, everyone!

Janet: So good to see you posting!

Bouba: Welcome to the group!

This has been a really quiet weekend for me. My weekend began on Friday, July 1, with the 2nd anniversary of my healthy living journey. TWO YEARS! Wow. Time flies! I am so happy to be thinner and healthier than I've been in many years but there is no denying that it has been challenging. There are times when I have felt such despair (though fortunately usually only for a few hours or days) and times when I felt such joy and pride.

On Saturday after the gym, I made the big mistake of finally buying the PC game Sims 2 and I have been in the deep throes of addiction all weekend! LOL I have been a game nut for years...what fun!

Quote:
    wanderlust said: I'm not sure I can go to meetings... My weight is my personal nightmare - I don't think I can face other people - even for support. It feels intensely shameful.
    You know, through the last two years of my healthy living journey, I have realized that while some people will certainly stare, most folks really are too wrapped up in their own stuff to even notice you're there.

That said, going to meetings isn't my thing either. I'm living proof that it's possible to go it alone in terms of not being on any formal plan. I haven't lost my weight as fast as someone who may be part of a formal plan and going to meetings, but I have learned that slow is okay.

The important thing is that, meetings or not, you make the changes that will lead to a happier and healthier you. I have found that having support--in the form of being able to talk to people who are in the same boat--is SO important--but that doesn't necessarily mean meetings. My support has been online--this board and one other that is like my second family.

Quote:
    JanetG said: I have felt there were times in my life that everyone was watching me and pointing at me behind my back. When I walked down the street and passed some teenagers and heard them laughing I swore they were laughing at me .
    Something happened to me in Target on Saturday that was really tellling, I think. I have been heavy for many years and have been accustomed to hearing/seeing children/teens snickering (I am also unusually short, so the combination of the weight & height makes it worse). I was looking at CDs on Saturday and I heard a group of young boys behind me snickering. One of them said "Look at how ... she is." (I now realize that I didn't actually hear the adjective, but my brain inserted "fat" at the time) and then one said "Look how big her butt is!" and they collapsed in giggles. My heart sank (I was probably thinking "Even after losing half the weight I need to lose, I still need to hear this.") and, as I turned to face my accusers...they were playing a video game together and weren't even facing in my direction. Is there a slim chance that they were talking about me but turned to play the game by the time I turned around? Sure. But I really don't think that's what happened because they were fully engrossed in the game...one of those multiplayer X-box set-ups that some of the stores have...with their backs to me and facing up above their heads at the screen.

It really made me think about how you can lose all the weight you want to lose on the outside but it takes a lot longer to adjust to being thin in your head. For those who haven't read it, the nonfiction book "Passing for Thin" by Frances Kuffel deals with this very issue quite in depth. Frances had gastric bypass and lost half her body weight. While I can't say I finished the book liking Frances as a person, I greatly admire her for writing a book that helps us all grasp that just a smaller number on the scale isn't all there is to weight loss. Whether gastric bypass or not, whether 150 pounds overweight or 50, it is recommended reading for anyone struggling with body image issues.
  • Thank you (all) for you support. I really appreciate the input and guidance.

I just have to find my faith in myself again (it got lost along the way) and "sign on".... in the meanwhile I appreciate all of your "presence".
  • I'm going for a double post!

Just flew to CA for about 1.5 days to attend a friend's wedding. I didn't know anyone (literally) except for the groom. I tell ya - it was one of those times that I LOATHE being single. I'm hoping I passed for "Mysterious New Yorker" versus "Anxious single girl that knows no one".... Thankfully, at the reception a lovely couple included me in their conversation. It would have been one of the longest nights of my life if they hadn't.

That was kinda random and didn't have anything to do with weightloss... more towards the single slant... haha