A Salad Tip

• When having a salad, put your dressing on the side, or in a small container on the side.
    Dip your fork into the dressing and then into your salad, do this for each bite.
    You will get all the flavor, but eat less fat and calories because you won't be eating as much dressing. I heard this tip years ago and I think that it's a great one.

Good Luck Ladies!
  • If I did that, I think I'd end up eating MORE calories
  • No, it really does work! Just get the tines of the fork a covered and seriously a tablespoon or 2 tablespoons (the actualy serving size most of the time) of dressing is enough for a huge salad.
  • I do the same thing. It is suprising how little dressing you end up using.
  • I ALWAYS do this with restaurant salads, because the restaurants I eat in rarely have low-fat dressings, or if they do they taste terrible. (Or, it's some kind of specialty salad where the dressing is a part of the composition.) So I order the regular dressing on the side and use this method, and it works like a charm.

Just yesterday I had an Asian salad (from Friday's it wasn't very good, no wonder I've started swearing off chain restaurants ...). I got the special dressing on the side, and it was EASILY a 1/2 cup! I wound up using about 2 Tbsp of it for the huge salad, and it was plenty.
  • Try Applebee's - their Asian salad is to die for!!
  • I know this may sound crazy, but a salad tip I learned recently is LEMON JUICE. Seriously -- you just take a fresh lemon and squeeze about half over your greens and other salad stuff, and it really is good, particularly with some good shaved parmesan. My husband (who usually hates "healthy" stuff) and I are addicted!
  • That does sound good. I love FRESH lemon juice, and I often put vinegar on my salads. I gotta try that!
  • Ohh... I'm totally trying the lemon juice thing. That's awesome!