Core Board #12 - Bad Habits, I Will Shelve

You're on Page 1 of 9
Go to
  • Okay, so the rhyme is a little contrived. I just thought we could use a new thread, as the old #11 was getting a little long.

Let's all bump up to #12!!

Angela
  • Hi Angela,
    I was thinking of starting a new thead too., but couldn't think of anything to rhyme with twelve.

WI on Wednesday, so I'm trying to drink lots of water today. Will do the same for tomorrow. Hopped on the treadmill for 29 minutes, just couldn't go that last one. It's still only 40 degrees here, and normal for this time of year is around 49 and I'm really getting tired of this cold weather. MOre snow showers predicted for later this week.

Hope everyone is doing well. Can't remember who said what, since we're on a new page.........must be my old age creeping in.

DD just got home from ballet; needs homework help., so I'll check back later.

Lisa
  • Frouf, I'm REAL happy to hear that your trip may happen after all. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the price continues to drop!

Lisa, I'm sick of Winter too and you guys had a much worse one than we did here in Chicago....for a change!

I've been listening and watching Baseball Spring Training. It's making me want to wear capri pants and sandals. I'm also looking forward to shopping in my closet for Spring and Summer clothes that I couldn't fit into last year.

I'm going to watch TV now.
  • I made the smothered chicken w/barley for dinner tonight. I've meant to make it several times, but something always came up. But I'd forgotten how yummy it is! I'm glad I finally tried it again.

I'm with you Vickie, I am SO ready for warmer weather. Ugh, the cold, grey days are really getting to me. We had that one teaser day a few weeks ago where it was around 72 degrees. Aaah. Of course, the next day it was back down to 40 or so I think.

I really need to get back into exercising, but I still don't feel 100%. I know my weigh-in this week is not going to be good. I'm back up to where I was pre-sickness. For a short while there, I was down to 127, but that's because I couldn't keep anything in! Maybe if I hit the water and exercise really hard in the next few days, it'll be OK.

Till tomorrow,
    Angela
  • Guess What!!!
    GUESS WHAT...GUESS WHAT...GUESS WHAT...GUESS WHAT!!! CAN U GUESS???

This is so exciting (for me anyways )...Yes I booked a trip - I am going to JAMAICA MON.... isn't that exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...and here's the even better news.....was emailing a gf of mine who I used to work with - she asks me "are you going anywhere?' (she is quite aware of my travelling tendencies and my constant search for a "good deal")....so I email back about my tentative plans. She calls me and says she wants to go (with her hubby and 18 yr old and 12 yr old boys).....saw the links/pics I sent her and is very interested (see http://www.riubambu.com/RIU_WEB_PAGE...GRIL_MENUE.htm )

Next thing you know she has called her dh (who is on his way to Germany on business back on friday night) and they discuss and they go ahead and book it!!!...can you believe this??? I am SO THRILLED - she and I get along quite well and while I was going anyways w/my boys, it will be much more fun for me to have someone my "age" to chat with, and have drinks/dinner etc. How freaky is that? WE ARE BOTH SO EXCITED WE ARE BURSTING.

So cut to the "other" gf who said she couldn't come due to finances and no comittments.....can we say "cranky"...finally calls me tonight to see what I"m doing and I say "I'm off to Jamaica MON".....price has dropped and we're booked to go! Oh she says - well I got an extension on our line of credit and I can travel now "that's nice" I reply. So she says "maybe I can get there on sat and we can all go"...sure I respond (knowing full well this will never happen!). Says she will call me back...sure I say! Calls me back a couple of hours later - "did you read the reviews? someone got sick there!'...Ya I know I say - but I'm still going....."did you know it was a 1 hr bus ride from the airport?"...Ya I know I say, but I"m still going.....silence at her end "send me a postcard" she says.....and that's it! I am so glad I did not wait for her to make any plans with - I have definitely learned my lesson!

Now I wish I was thinner of course and a bit embarrased of being in my bathing suit or shorts, esp w/people I actually "know". My gf is a few years older than me, maybe 10-15 lbs overweight but in pretty good shape for her age.....I feel like a blob! Oh well - will do my best with what I have!

Have to get documentation together and hit the bank for US$!!!

Angela - thanks for starting the new thread - I agree the other was way too long... and don't fret about your weigh-in...be happy that you are well and you can continue w/your exercising and food plan as you can!

I also love the smothered barley chicken - made it last week - and ate it all week!

Lisa - good luck w/weigh in - I know the exercising helps. I am still so afraid to exercise - esp since I will be travelling soon. Going for physio tomorrow and friday and trying to make sure I can "walk" without pain and lack of mobility - I am worried if I get on treadmill or do anything too vigorous I will re-injure myself and be immobile for my trip. Hoping that swimming in the pool (the one w/the swim up bar? ) might be some good exercise I can do on my vacation as it will not stress the painful areas.

Kathy - how goes it? Hope you had a great core day! You too Linda! - Let us know how you're doing!

Now I am worrying about work of course as I have a TON of stuff to complete before I can go (or go with a clear conscience that is! )

Froufie
  • One quick post before I drag these old bones to bed ...

Frannie, what a fun event the stag and doe thing sounds like! And how practical too! What engaged couple couldn't use plenty of money? And congratulations on that perfect Core day yesterday!

Froufie, I am so excited for you! This trip was just meant to be and how wonderful that you're going to have a companion to pal around with too! There is absolutely no need to fret about your weight, silly girl. I feel 100% certain that you will see all shapes and sizes proudly wearing their bathing suits and shorts. You must take pictures to "show" us when you decide to have your beautiful blonde hair braided into those Bo Derek braids all over your head! Everyone I know who has been to Jamaica always got their hair done in those braids ... it looked really neat!

Kathy, it sounds like you had a good day too ... and on a Monday at that! It can't get much better than that, right?

Angela and Vickie, I'd send you some of our warm weather if I could but I think y'all are finally wearing winter down. It surely won't be too much longer before the snow takes a hike for another year!

Lisa, I hope WI goes well for you on Wednesday!

I ate well all day today and have already planned tomorrow's menu, so I'm heading in the right direction, I think. I'm doing the Flore approach and journalling what I eat which really does help me feel more in control. My ankles are really swollen so I'm not sure what's going on there. I love salt and always eat a lot so I can't imagine what might have contributed to this sudden fluid retention. Hopefully, I'll lose it as quickly as I retained it!

Good night and sweet dreams everyone!
  • Angela, I'm so glad you enjoyed the Smothered Barley Chicken. It's always the first dish I recommend to folks starting Core. It's such comfort food to me. It's 24 degrees here right now and going all the way up to 40. Enough already! I want to smell cut GREEN grass.

Frouf, WOW.....things sometimes happen for a reason. The place looks SPECTACULAR! I'm sure you're going to have a great trip. When do you leave? Your other GF really does sound toxic to me. Sounds like you handled it beautifully. I guess she's just not the kind of person that you can count on. Not much of a friend to my way of thinking! If I were you I would not exercise before you go. You'll get plenty of exercise in the water and walking around once you are there. I wouldn't want to take a chance on injuring myself and not being able to go. I'm very happy for you!

Deborah, congratulations on your great day and for planning for today. You sound almost serene which is really great! I always weigh and measure my Core food when I am trying to regain control. When is your weigh in? I'm sure you are going to have a great week. Just don't let the stress monster get you. If it hits, have something like popcorn or use your points for a bit of a treat. Good Luck!

I've got to go to the Doctor today. Yuck. I like him alot and he never yells at me but I am so embarassed of my body. Because of the things I have to ask him about, I know he going to want to do an examination, which I hate! Normally, he doesn't make patients do the whole "gown" thing. I really hate that those darn gowns don't fit. Hard enough to have to put the gown on without sitting there with your butt hanging out! And....my weight is up this morning. What the heck is with that? Sorry I got on the scale. Oh well, off to the treadmill, then breakfast, then Doctor! Talk to you all this evening.
  • Happy day to all! Froufy, how exciting!!!

They're drilling on me to work hard for the next few, so I won't be here. Oh well!!!
  • Hi all:

Thanks for starting a new thread. I've been crazy busy the last few days and felt a little guilty about not keeping up. Our kids' school is having it's big fundraiser in a couple of weeks and I got the great job of cross-checking all the addresses and hand-writing all the invitation envelopes. It's incredibly fussy stuff trying to get everyone's address straight. You'd think the school would have all this easily available, but no. To top it off they switched to a new database program that no one really knows how to use. So I'm going crazy trying to figure out what to do with the kid who apparent has 4 parents with different last names, none of which match his.

Anyway, my WI went well on Saturday. I'm down 11 pounds and looking forward to my 10%, which I hope will happen in the next month or so. At the end of the last meeting our leader said that the next topic will be how to deal with special occasions where food is involved. I wanted to jump up and say, "Now! I need that now!" Tonight is our big restaurant dinner. I don't even now where we are going yet, so it's hard to plan. I'll just have to do my best.
  • Will I Die Without Protein???
    So here I am finally having my lunch around 1:45 pm - and I'm STARVING. Due to time planning on my part I did not actually eat a proper breakfast. Grabbed a banana on the way out the door to my (pre-work) physio appointment, planning to eat something at work later. Got to work around 9:30 am - got involved in "stuff".....10:30 came around still have not eaten anything and was hoping for an egg mcmuffin - ran downstairs to the big M just as breakfast was over! Got a coffee at the fancy coffee place and RESISTED the huge delicious looking muffins. back upstairs for an 11 am meeting - phone call at noon from my "travelling buddy" so had to discuss what we're packing ...finally get to the fridge to grab my lunch - open it to reheat in the microwave and discover I'M A VEGETARIAN!!!!

No kidding - packed leftovers from dinner last night: a hamburger, some mixed veggies and a 1/4 baked squash - and when I open it the burger is missing!!! There is a thief among us - looks like "someone" at my home helped themselves to MY LUNCH - ate the burger and left the veggies. Some fairly easy detective work on my part discovers it is the bottomless pit of an 18 yr old who was hungry and well "it wasn't labelled?".....so here I am eating veggies - don't get me wrong I LOVE veggies, but boy I sure wanted something more substantial!!!

There is a food court downstairs but I am trying to avoid this - might have to go get something more to eat I guess? Feel I really should have some protein as I have had none today!

Vickie - hang in there with the dr appt - I too hate those flimsy ill-fitting paper gowns - you would think someone could improve upon them! Remember your health is what's important right now and you have to do what you have to do.....don't worry about what the dr might think!

Kathy - sorry to hear they are actually making you work hard - shame on them!

Cher - you are doing so well and will be at your 10% in no time - good for you! Good luck tonight - I'm sure you will do fine! (you might want to have a snack before you go so you are not ravenously hungry and will be better able to say "no thanks" as required?)

Deborah - you had to go and remind me of my super blonde highlights!!! Actually kinda getting used to them? But certainly not the "bo derek" type for braiding - ha ha ha I'm sure there will be many shapes and sizes parading around in all their glory - in fact I understand Negril is well known for topless/nude sunbathing!!! So if I want to clear out the beach area.....???

Just found out my ex is in hospital with appendicitis - and having surgery this evening - is asking ME to get key from son (he can't find it) to go to his apt and get some toiletries for him - my dh I know is not fond of this....feels he is a little too dependent on me at times! I do feel bad for him tho - but sounds like he will be home tomorrow?

Just remembered I brought some RICE PUDDING to work for a snack - guess what? It's already snacktime - hope this will fill me up!!! YIPPEE

Frouf
  • Cher, Congratulations! I hope by now your dinner is over and you successfully dealt with it. If it went badly, don't worry, just get back on program tomorrow morning. Don't feel guilty about not being around. It happens to all of us. I thought there would be pages of messages since I was gone all day but you all were very quiet today!

Froufie, sounds like you had a stressful food day. What punishment should befall a person who steals from a dieter's stash!

Doctor visit went ok for me. Nothing serious. Got two medicines for other problems and he says my glands and bladder infection are probably gone. I told him my glands still hurt but he says they are very small. No more antibiotics. He's very conservative about giving out medicine. Also got a referral to an Ortho for my elbow. Still giving me problems from the car accident. Guess I'll make that phone call tomorrow.

Talk with you all then!
  • Core NO More............
    well at least not for me. I have given it my all these past several months, with no REAL success and the same 2 lbs. . .....and it has caused me to be totally OUT of Control, and I NEED control, for ME it's a liscense to eat.... ....No can do, not any more.....I have come too far to allow this to happen.
    I will however continue my weight loss journey to get these 10 lbs off and then some.....
    I will continue my journey with my "newbie" attitude but will stick with what worked for me. I was successful in losing 55 lbs on Points. Mangage to gain 22 back, lose most of it AGAIN this past hurricane season on Points, and not be successful for the rest of Core these past several months. I have come to the realization that yes indeed WW works, but we need to do what works for us. 40 years of WW proven weight loss programs and they all work.
    I continue to read here, because by far this is the BEST board, and maybe even throw in one every now and then.
    Well as 'they' say today is the first day of the rest of my life.....
    Have a great day all......and keep up the good fight, which ever it may be for us.
  • Good Luck, Linda. Make sure you let us know how you're doing. We'd all like to celebrate with you, I'm sure.

I have early appointments today. Talk with you all later.
  • Hi Ladies
    I'm only on for a second then back to bed I have acute Bronchitus and am on a cavalcade of meds that are knocking me out including a steroid?
    The only bad thing is the steroid makes you moody and hungry and retain water I told DH to wear a flak jacket I'm determined not to binge with it
    When I'm sick i ahve to force myself to eat
    I'll catch up on the posts when I'm more awake

hopefully I'll bbl!
    Kier
  • Kierie, sorry you're sick. Geesh, you sound REALLY sick. I hate when they give me steroids too. They make me a wild woman. But....they work, so hang in there. It's more important to feel good!