Fennel Carrot Soup recipe from LA Times

• I'm going to try this this weekend. Sounds great, and easy.

Recipe of the week
    Los Angeles Times

Fennel-carrot soup

Total time: 1 hour
    Yield: 4 servings

Note: This soup is delicious as is, but a little Dungeness crab on top wouldn't hurt, either.

Ingredients:
    2 bulbs fennel (about 1 3/4 pounds total)
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    3/4 cup sliced carrots (2 to 3 carrots)
    3 Tbsps. olive oil
    1 carton (1 quart) chicken broth
    Cracked black pepper

1. Trim the tops and ends of the fennel bulbs. Save a few of the green fronds and chop them for garnish; set aside. Thinly slice the bulbs. You should have about 4 cups sliced fennel.

2. Saute the sliced fennel, chopped onion and sliced carrots in the olive oil in a large saucepan until tender, about 20 minutes.

3. Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer about 20 to 25 minutes, until the vegetables are very tender.

4. Puree with an immersion blender right in the saucepan, or in a food processor in one or two batches, transferring each batch to a clean saucepan or warm tureen.

5. Spoon into serving bowls and sprinkle with chopped fennel fronds and cracked black pepper.

Nutrition information per serving:
    184 calories; 5 grams protein; 19 grams carbohydrates; 8 grams fiber; 11 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 0 mg. cholesterol; 504 mg. sodium.
  • That does sound good, thanks for posting! I've honestly never tried fennel, other than the seed which I'm sure tastes very different from the bulb. This sounds like a good way to give it a try