Help I've done something stupid

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I went to the gym today and was chatting to my instructor, and mentioned that one day in the future I would like to do the Great North Run in North East England, maybe 2006 or 2007. It's a half marathon.

Well! He's signed me up for THIS year, September!!! I am the world's worst runner. I run for the bus and that's about it. I swim twice a week, and do a cardio and strength training workout three times a week. My instructor thinks that this is plenty, and I will be fine. There will be a formal lead up in June when we start training in earnest.

I am seeking advice, inspiration, consolation, and a kick up the derriere to get me ready for this. I am determined to do this, as I think it would be a great achievement, and gives me a precise fitness goal to aim for.

If anyone wants to be my exercise buddy I would be more than grateful!
  • not stupid !
    I say go for it... even if you're the last across the line... you tried.. and that's all that matters right ?

prove yourself wrong ?!
  • You can do it!
    Just start slow and listen to your body while you're training. September is plenty of time to prepare for this!
  • Hey-eyyy, great goal! You can DO THIS. Train hard, and you will make it. Aim high!
  • Despite my sheer terror (this is a major event in the UK and televised world wide!!) I am really excited about it. I had no idea I would be ready for it, but my trainer at the gym assures me I am already doing more than most people intent on doing the run.

I really want to prove it to myself, but I still feel a bit um er enormous and ungainly....but quitters never win and winners never quit, so I'm just gonna aim high and do it!!!!
  • You've got lots of time to work slowly up to it. Take is slowly and carefully, and be sure to get fitted for a good pair of running shoes. 21.1k isn't SUCH a long distance, is it?
  • Marathon Runner Extraordinaire
    What? Are you nuts? Really, just joking. I wish I had that kind of motivation. I'm sitting here at my desk arguing with myself about going to the gym at lunch time even though I go in the mornings before work. I'm finding out I'm not getting enough exercise.

I think you have shamed me into going to the gym today at lunchtime and as often as possible!
  • I just volunteered yesterday to head up my work's team for A Race for a Cure in June! I'm not going to run but I'm going to go the 4k walk! I've never done anything like this before and I don't even remember the last time I walked that much! Good luck to you! Just remember, all that matters is that you TRY!
  • Shamed into going to the gym
    Just to let you know that I have been to the gym every lunchtime this week! I always think of you and your marathon.

You didn't realize what a great motivator you are, did you?
  • Awwww thank you, I have such a hard time motivating myself, it's nice to know I can motivate others as well!!! I am off to the gym after work tonight. I don't feel like it, as it is this TOM if you know what I mean, but I know I will feel good afterwards!!!!
  • Like everyone has said, take it slow and you will be able to work up to it. Runners World or Running Times had a couple good training programs where you increase distance some days and intensity the others. I would do a few searches as this could be a helpful "plan." I am very motivated by you--I thought it was scary deciding to take the plunge for a 5-k in April!! Best of luck to you.
  • This is a great motivator! You don't have to win the race, just finish! In May I am entered in a century cycle race, I have only started to ride my bike since Jan. 2005. We just need to get out and enjoy ourselves, and get fit in the process!!

Go for it Girl!

Jackal
  • HI!

I am training for a half marathon too! I am four months into the program and I am totally addicted! I have my handy dandy training schedule that I follow faithfully and I LOVE it. Today on my lunch hour I ran 9.5K. Believe me when I first started out 9.5K was totally out of the question but now it is a 'short' run. My long run this week is 16K! If you start small and follow the program you will be fine. And as an added bonus... the weight will melt away. Honestly! I would love to buddy up if you like. I also post on the cool runners string. There are a couple of other training for marathons and half marathons also. If you are interested you can take a look at my schedule if you don't already have one. But it sounds like your trainer will take care of that for you right?

Take care and happy trails!
  • doing ten miles in April...maybe we can compare notes
    Hi, I think it's inspiring that you are going ahead with it. Just last Monday, I got a call to do a Walkathon (10 miles in April). I only walk 3 miles a day or do the elliptical for 45 minutes about 5 times a week, so I don't feel too confident...plus I have something on the bottom of the foot (a callous?) which just won't go away and hurts sometimes. But I, too, am determined to do this...I may try to jog some miles and walk some miles. The weather here isn't too conducive to outdoor walking (snow/ice, etc.) right now and I don't have a treadmill but I do have an elliptical machine and if I can get to the gym, I will go on the treadmill. Maybe you can record what you did each day and we can motivate each other.
  • Lunchtime Gym Time
    This week I went to the gym at lunch only twice, but today I got in early and was able to do 50 minutes of cardio and weights before work. So, I get lunch off today.

I'm still thinking about all of you and the marathons you are training for. I do not like to run, so the closest thing I get is walking really fast on the treadmill.

Have a great weekend and keep on running! or walking! or bicycling! or swimming! You get the drift.