Pre-surgery Shopping List for WLS

You're on Page 3 of 4
Go to
  • Also Has anyone experienced stomach pains after gastric bypass surgery besides any related to dumping?
  • the short answer, BEING, is YES. the longer answer is NOT FOR A FEW MONTHS! don't panic. it'll be ok. promise!
  • Multi Vitamin
    I have found (for a decent price) at Wal-Mart, a Multi Vitamim which should be perfect....Here is the scoop

Centrum Multi Vitamin LIQUID 8oz bottle $8.67

Hope this helps!!
  • I love this site. There are so many helpful tools that you can get from the people that have been there and done that.
    THANKS!!!!
  • Suggestion for post op recovery comfort
    I am not 100% sure if this is the right place to post this, but, before surgery I purchased one of those handicapped toilet seat lifter. It made my toilet about 4" or 5" taller. When I came home from the hospital this was a life saver!! It made getting on and off the "pot" lol soooo much easier. The best part is it is very inexpensive. Only cost me about $20. Threw it in the garbage once I was better. I HIGHLY recommend it!! It made life easier!
  • What a great list of the things that you need.
    I have been trying to gather all of the stuff I will be needing and this list brought a few things to mind!
    Thanks for posting it!
    mgf~
  • Wls
    Hi all my name is Tracy i have been tryin to have wls now for 3 years every time it got to a date something would go wrong now i find out from my DR if i don't have the surg soon i may die. Im only 48 and i have a daughter and 5 grandkids i want to see the grands grow up. So now its round 3 and im trying for my 3rd time i know if its for me to have God will see a way anyhow just pray everything go's well on the 13th.im trying to find the foods i will need for when i get it hope soon maybe in the next 2mon's.
  • I have noticed that the chicken broth I am allowed to have is not very high in protien, can anyone reccomend some good high protien soups that have worked well for you
  • Quote: I have noticed that the chicken broth I am allowed to have is not very high in protien, can anyone reccomend some good high protien soups that have worked well for you
    Are you on clear liquids only? what kind of surgery did you have? I don't know of any broth/clear soups with protein, but maybe some one else does. Maybe you can add a protein powder to it although I'm not sure how that would taste.
  • Sorry, some backround...I just had RNY on 4-28 and right now I am on clear but go on full liquids on tuesday. The soup question was for when I go to puree.
  • Can someone explain what "full Liquids" are exactly? I am having surgery on the 18th of Jan and will be on clear liquids in the hospital and then full liquids until my 2 week post op appt. Are full liquids protein shakes and what? Tomato soup? Sugar-free popsicles?
  • Quote: Can someone explain what "full Liquids" are exactly? I am having surgery on the 18th of Jan and will be on clear liquids in the hospital and then full liquids until my 2 week post op appt. Are full liquids protein shakes and what? Tomato soup? Sugar-free popsicles?
    Yes, my doctor would say full / thicker liquids just as long as there were no pieces/lumps in it ... confirm this with your doc because one thing I have learned listening to every one is, each doctor has his/her own definition of things lol.

Cream soups (no hunks in it)
    Milk / Soy milk
    Milk Shakes - thinned
    Protein Drinks - thinned
    Yogurt Smoothie Drinks - thinned
    Anything you can basically drink or suck on that doesn't have pieces in it.
  • Quote: I have noticed that the chicken broth I am allowed to have is not very high in protien, can anyone reccomend some good high protien soups that have worked well for you
    My friend mentioned that she adds chunks of soft tofu to her chicken broth to jazz it up a bit (tofu takes on the taste of the broth) and adds the much needed protein! (she is past the 2 weeks post-op stage)
  • Great list....thanks
  • can i just add for me i got 2 thermoses and they saved me big time i filled one with broth or now soup and the other with hot tea (i am one of the people who can’t handle water after the op so hot tea works)
    instead of constantly portioning out broth/soup and heating i do the days worth in one go and put it in the thermos and know exactly where to fill it ont he cup it comes with and do that a couple of times a day.
    also helps you know exactly how much your drinking if you know you have to finish both in a day you just pour and sip till your done.