Scared to move to Phase II

• Mornin Ladies.......ok here's the deal, yesterday was the last day of Phase I for me. I'm down 10 lbs YAY! I'm so scared to go to Phase II, bread and fruit scares me now. I'm afraid that I'm going to stall out and stop losing, I've been really careful to stick with the approved foods for Phase I. It's not so much the fruit that I'm scared of, it's the bread Help!

Started South Beach on Jan 02, 2004
    Valentines Mini Goal 165
  • Don't eat the bread if it's going to set you off. Why don't you add something else... oatmeal for breakfast?
  • Check out the Phase II Thread in FAQ for hints on how to integrate more carbs. The advice there is s-l-o-w-l-y! One carb each day for a week and see what happens.
  • You can do it. I do fine with fruit but really have to watch the pasta and bread. I'm fine with rice and tortillas too. Just add slowly and you will do great. It is not unusual to stall in week three. Just be patient and you will get past it.
  • Hey Jenn,
    You and I have similar situations, today is the first day of Phase II for me as well. At first I was of the opinion that it didn't matter, I was doing good and it didn't matter what I ate: bread, pasta, real SUGAR,and fruits. However, i reread SBD book and I'm thinking on track again and I started Phase II this morning with oatmeal, this rest of my day will be like a Phase I but I think you and I will do alright. Have a great day Jenn!
  • I'm in agreement with the other ladies...add back slowly! When I first did SB last summer, when I started P2, I added back a piece of fruit. For the next three days, that was my only change. After observing that I was still losing and not having any cravings, I added back oatmeal. I made that my only change for a few more days, and so on. One food at a time is the way to go! By adding back slowly this way, you will be able to identify trigger foods for you.
  • Boy, was I glad to see this thread - I'm technically moving to phase II today. I'm actually going to hang on with phase I for three more days, because I had houseguests this weekend, and ate muchos carbos. (All whole grain, but still.) Just to get past that bump. But I was wondering about the best way to go about reintroducing carbs when the day comes.

Thanks ladies! Sounds like slow and steady is the way to go. Question: if I'm adding back a carb serving every few days, how much slowing am I likely to see? I want to get to the point where I'm losing 1 1/2 or 2 pounds per week until I hit my goal. I'm not sure how many carb servings that would entail. Probably it's different for everyone, yes?

Thanks again for the help, you ladies are wonderful!
    Solarmama
  • Being afraid of Phase II is really common, and I think we've all gone through it. The truth is, your weight loss will slow, but that will happen even if you stay on Phase 1. In fact, your loss might be faster on Phase II than if you stayed on 1!

Just do it slowly, and add only ONE thing a day for a week...the same thing will help you monitor what affects you and what doesn't. I have found (and others did, too), that adding your carb or fruit first thing in the morning does seem to cause cravings. I do better when I have my fruit or starch at lunch, dinner, or afternoon snack. Just a tip. If you find the oatmeal sets you off, don't eat it in the morning...try it later on.
  • Thanks so much ladies, you are all so wonderful with advice. I'm not as scared now as I was yesterday. I ate half a grapefruit for one of my snacks. I think I'm gonna start with just 1 peice of fruit for a snack each day for a week, see how that affects my weight loss. I'll slowly start adding back some whole grains next week, but maybe just a few servings a week, not everyday. That should be ok right? I'm gonna be sure pasta and rice are the last things I add back, they always make me feel bloated and fat.
    Solarmama- I'm sure glad I'm not the only one who was freaking out about Phase II.
    Again, Thanks ladies!

Started South Beach on Jan 02, 2004
    Valentines Mini Goal 165
  • That sounds like a great strategy! I find I really have to watch my portion size of grains but I certainly do eat quite a few. Just add gradually like you are planning and you will have a better idea of their impact.