Cheesey Question

• I know I've read here on the forums how many grams of fat we're allowed to have in one ounce of cheese... but I sure can't find it and I lent my SBD book to my Gram who is reading it now. Part of me is thinking 6 grams or less... but then that seems like it might be too high?
    Thanks!
  • Sorry Kris - I can't really help you with that one. But what I do - I cannot stand the ff cheeses - I buy the light and just limit the amount I eat - I'm not a huge cheese eater to begin with - but I figure an ounce of light cheese per day is not going to kill me.

And since this is a lifestyle change - I want to be realistic and only eat & buy foods I know I can tolerate. I wouldn't last very long on this diet if I HAD to eat FF cheese.

Know what I mean?

Best of luck
    Kim
  • Yes Kim, I am with you! I'd rather go without any cheese at all than eat fat free... yuck. At least the kinds and brands I've tried. They seem to have no taste and a rubbery texture. That's why I am looking for more low fat cheeses I can enjoy.
  • Just checked Fitday and it shows an ounce of most lowfat cheeses to have 2 grams of fat. I think 6 would be a bit high. I'm with you on the no-fat crud! By the way, the Phase I Food List does not say just no-fat cheese - it says light or reduced fat, I think.
    By the way www.fitday.com is free and very handy.
  • I got out my book to look, and it says fat free or low fat, no more than 6g's of fat per 1/4 cup.

• Thanks Ruth and Jenn. Yeah, I have an account with Fitday, Ruth. I like it. I just wanted to make sure the low fat cheeses I've been choosing weren't too high. I knew I remembered 6 grams from somewhere.

Thanks again.
  • I think that the shredded no-fat cheeses are seriously gross, but I like the kraft no-fat american cheese. It melts nicely and I can't tell the difference (melted!) between it and full-fat american cheese. I haven't tried it by itself so I don't know if you can taste a difference there, but the texture it the same.