CORE Side Dishes & Salads

You're on Page 4 of 8
Go to
  • i got this off the net. i made it once. dh and i both liked it.

CANDIED SWEET POTATOES

butter flavored pam
    1 large can sweet potatoes
    8 oz can crushed pineapple in its own juice--UNDRAINED
    3 t splenda
    1/4 5 cinnamon

instructions:

preheat oven to 425*. coat a 2 qt casserole dish with cooking spray.

place potatoes in prepared dish. combine crushed pineapple, splenda and cinnamon in a small bowl. add to potatoes and toss till well mixed.

bake stirring after 30 minutes till sweet potato mixture is bubbly. yields about 1/2 cup per serving.

makes 6 servings
  • Here's a nice "bring along" dish if you have any Memorial Day parties to attend. This was from the WW newsletter. I can't tell you how my Niece serving Core pasta salad has saved me at many a party. You can tweak this as much as you like. I think my Niece adds a bit of regular yellow mustard for some flavor. I like to add hard boiled eggs. With the leftovers, I throw in some tuna for a great lunch.

Memorial Day Pasta Salad

2 cup dry whole-wheat elbow macaroni
    1 medium stalk celery, diced
    1 small sweet red pepper(s), chopped
    1/2 cup cooked frozen peas and carrots
    3 medium scallion(s), chopped
    1/2 cup Kraft Free Shredded Cheddar Cheese, or other brand
    1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
    1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
    1/4 cup dill pickle(s), sliced
    1/4 tsp onion powder

Instructions

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain again. Combine cooked pasta, celery, pepper, peas and carrots, scallion and cheese in a large mixing bowl.

To make dressing, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, pickle and onion powder in a small bowl. Pour dressing over pasta mixture and toss lightly to coat. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving.
  • Black Bean Avocado Salad
    Recipe By : Taste of Home Magazine
    Serving Size : 8

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 can black beans -- rinsed and drained
    1 can Mexican style corn -- drained
    1 1/3 cups avocado -- chopped and peeled
    1 cup cucumber -- chopped and seeded
    1 cup tomatoes -- chopped and seeded
    1/2 cup green onions -- thinly sliced
    1 small jalapeno pepper -- seeded and chopped
    1 teaspoon lime juice
    Dressing:
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper

In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients.

In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. Pour over salad and toss to coat.

Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.

Description:
    "You can taste the essence of summer in this refreshing salad you can
    serve with grilled chicken."
  • Mixed Greens with Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing

To enhance the seeds' flavor even more, lightly toast them in a dry skillet for 2-3 minutes before adding them to the dressing.

Dressing

1/2 cup FF plain yogurt
    2 Tablespoons orange juice (points for Core)
    2 teaspoons poppy seeds
    1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
    Pinch of ground black pepper
    I'd also add some Splenda because I like my Poppy Seed Dressing to be a little sweet.

Salad

1 Head red leaft lettuce coarsely torn
    1 bunch wattercress
    1 cup cherry tomato halves

To make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients.

To make the salad: Combine the lettuces and tomatoes. Add the dressing and toss gently.
  • Vickie's Family Sweet and Sour Coleslaw

32 oz Slaw Mix (about 10 cups)
    1 and 1/2 cups white distilled vinegar
    1 cup canola oil
    1 cup Splenda
    1 medium yellow onion chopped fine
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons black pepper

Makes 20, 1/2 cup servings. If you ate every bit of the "juice" evenly divided, you'd get 2.4 teaspoons of oil in each serving. I never eat the juice, just what sticks to the coleslaw so I don't see it as a problem if you eat more than 1/2 cup a day. It is a fun way to get your veggies and healthy oil in. I tried reducing the oil even more (my family recipe called for MUCH more oil) but it didn't work. Hope you enjoy!

We like our coleslaw fine, so I buy the bag blends and then put the coleslaw and the onion into my food processor to make them very fine. After that, all you have to do is pour on the other ingredients and stir. I usually make the slaw at least 24 hours in advance of the first serving so it has time to marinate. It's very good for up to a week. I usually eat it until the date on the bag of the coleslaw mix.
  • Red-Orange Coleslaw with Sweet Dijon Dressing
    Red-Orange Coleslaw with Sweet Dijon Dressing
    2 tbs cider vinegar
    1 tbs olive oil
    1 tbs Dijon mustard
    1 tbs Splenda
    ˝ tsp salt
    3 cups finely shredded red cabbage
    1 cup shredded carrot

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Stir in cabbage and carrot. Let mixture stand 5 minutes.

I had this for Memorial day and couldn't stop eating it. It's excellent.
  • Swanson Salsa Chicken Salad Ole

(I got this from the side of a Swanson can of Chicken. It isn't complicated, but just thought it sounded yummy. Edited to be Core.)

1/3 cup ff sour cream
    6 tbsp. Salsa
    1 can Swanson White Chicken, drained
    1/3 cup shredded ff cheddar
    2 cups shredded lettuce
    2 tbsp. ripe olives

Mix sour cream and salsa. Stir in chicken and all but 2 tbsp. cheese. Arrange lettuce on plates. Divide chicken mixture among plates. Top each salad with some of the remaining cheese and olives.

4 Servings (according to the recipe, there's no way it would go four ways in my house )
  • Jalapeno Potato Salad

Recipe By : Taste of Home magazine
    Serving Size : 5

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    6 medium red potatoes -- peeled and cubed
    2 celery ribs -- chopped
    2 hard cooked eggs -- chopped
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    2 small jalapeno peppers -- seeded and chopped
    1/4 cup fat free mayonnaise
    3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
    3 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon pepper

Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool to room temperature.

In a large serving bowl, combine potatoes, celery, eggs, onion, and jalapenos.

In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, hot pepper sauce, cumin and pepper. Pour over potato mixture and toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Description:
    "Puts a zippy spin on potato salad - perfect for a picnic"
  • didn't know where to put this and don't know what to call it. i'll just call it mexican garnish goodies.

take a large jar of jalapenos
    add baby carrots and frozen pearl onions.

return to fridge and leave it. over time the carrots and onions will absorb the jalapeno fire juice. i use this to garnish mexican casseroles as well as a relish dish for the table.
  • This is from Barbos Diet Kitchen and sounded great to me. Wish I knew how much Canadian bacon they mean for us to use. I've never used Canadian bacon. I'm assuming it comes in slices.

BLT Pasta Salad

Ingredients:

3 2/3 cups cooked large shell whole wheat macaroni
    4 cups cut-up tomatoes
    4 Canadian bacon. Cooked and diced fine
    3 cups thin sliced lettuce
    1 teaspoon Splenda
    2 teaspoons cider vinegar
    1/2 cup fat free Mayo
    1/3 cup fat free sour cream
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    Salt & pepper to taste

In a large bowl mix together the shell macs, bacon, lettuce and tomatoes.
    In a small bowl mix the Splenda, vinegar, mayo, sour cream and mustard.
    Pour over the shell mac mixture, stir together and chill.

SERVING SIZE: 1 cup
    Core Free

• from kippy's core-ner

Tasty Sweet Potatoes

1-2 sweet potatoes
    1 tsp paprika
    3/4 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp ginger
    1/4 tsp turmeric
    dash cayenne
    salt or cajun seasoning to taste
    olive oil
    plain yogurt

Directions:
    Slice sweet potatoes into thick wedges. Mix spices with just enough olive oil to coat all potatoes with spice mixture. Shake potatoes, oil and spice mixture in a plastic bag. Spread potatoes on baking sheet and bake in pre-heated oven at 425 until tender --15-25 minutes. Served warm or cold with yogurt.

one for now and one for later....

adapted from a recipe viewed on the world's healthiest foods site.. no name given
  • copied from ww site.

Classic Midwestern Macaroni Salad

POINTS® Value | 1
    Servings | 12
    Preparation Time | 15 min
    Cooking Time | 10 min
    Level of Difficulty | Easy

side dishes | Take this old favorite on your next picnic. Or, toss in a can of water-packed tuna for a satisfying take-to-work meal.

Ingredients

2 cup dry whole-wheat elbow macaroni
    1 medium stalk celery, diced
    1 small sweet red pepper(s), chopped
    1/2 cup cooked frozen peas and carrots
    3 medium scallion(s), chopped
    1/2 cup Kraft Free Shredded Cheddar Cheese, or other brand
    1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
    1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
    1/4 cup dill pickle(s), sliced
    1/4 tsp onion powder

Instructions

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain again. Combine cooked pasta, celery, pepper, peas and carrots, scallion and cheese in a large mixing bowl.

To make dressing, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, pickle and onion powder in a small bowl. Pour dressing over pasta mixture and toss lightly to coat. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving.
  • from ww site.

Recipes
    Tropical Fruit Salsa (Mix and Match Recipe)

POINTS® value | 1
    Servings | 8
    Preparation Time | 20 min
    Cooking Time | 0 min
    Level of Difficulty | Easy

sauces | This fruity salsa is great with chips or on fish. It's also a delicious companion for our Cuban Chicken Skewers.

Ingredients

3 Tbsp red onion(s), minced
    2 cup pineapple, diced
    1 1/2 medium mango(es), or 1 large, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
    2 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
    1 1/2 medium jalapeno pepper(s), or 1 large, seeded and minced (do not touch seeds with bare hands)
    1/4 tsp table salt
    3 Tbsp cilantro, or parsley, fresh, chopped

Instructions

Soak onion in ice water in a small bowl for 15 minutes; drain. (Note: Soaking the onion in ice water removes its "bite" and helps to tone down the raw onion flavor in the salsa.)

Combine onion with remaining ingredients (except cilantro or parsley) in a medium bowl; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Stir in cilantro or parsley just before serving. Can be refrigerated for up to 4 days. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving.

This Mix and Match recipe is part of our Make Ahead series, in which we give you a week's worth of recipes intended to save you time in the kitchen. We show you how to swap dishes to create quick and easy meals throughout the week. This week, we highlight dishes that feature fresh summer produce. Pair the cold Tomato-Dill Soup with the Tuscan Tuna Wraps or the Santa-Fe Salad, use the Grilled Summer Vegetables in both the wrap and with the Cuban Chicken Skewers, and top virtually anything with the Tropical Fruit Salsa. The options are endless!
  • layered salad.

take these ingredients and layer them.

shredded (or chopped) lettuce
    frozen english peas
    grated boiled eggs (this is much better than chopping them.)
    chopped green onions or chopped onions
    chopped red bell papper
    grated ff cheddar cheese
    red grapes
    chopped ham or other meat (lunch type meat) (optional. i don't usually add the meat)

(other veggies could be layered, too, if you'd like to add more goodies. chopped celery, etc...)

sprinkle with
    salt/pepper
    1 teaspoon granular splenda
    before putting a layer of dressing on.

mix together equal amounts of ff sour cream and ff mayo. (i used 2 cups of each for a big salad)

repeat layers. again salt/pepper and 1 teaspoon granular splenda before you "ice" your salad with the other half the dressing. garnish as desired.

this salad is better after being in the fridge at least 8 hours. i don't put tomatoes in this salad so it will keep longer, but you might like them in it.
  • i didn't remember for sure where to post this, so here it is:

CORNMEAL BUNS, TORTILLAS, CORN PONES

3 cups water
    5 dashes cayenne pepper
    dash salt
    several dashes of butter buds (optional)
    1 teaspoon granular splenda
    1 cup cornmeal

i everything to the water and bring it to a boil. next i slowly add (while whisking) the cornmeal to the boiling water mixture. i remove the pan from the burner and let it sit just a few minutes.

preheat griddle (or frying pan) to 400*. spray griddle with butter flavored pam. drop cornmeal mixture by large spoonful onto griddle. spray spatula with butter flavored pam and use spatula to flatten each mound of cornmeal till it's really flat. (make your "cakes" as large as you want.) after i flatten my cakes, i spray them with the b flavored pam (just for good measure and taste) and salt them to taste. griddle them on both sides a long time. i'm thinking about 20 minutes maybe for each side.

these cakes can be used as buns for sandwiches or as tortillas for quesadillas. just experiment and see what you come up with. i'm open for suggestions.