CORE Main Dishes

You're on Page 2 of 13
Go to
  • Salmon Patties

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AWESOME AWESOME recipe!!!!!!

15 oz. can salmon (drained well)
    1/3c chopped onion
    2c soft bread crumbs (I used 4 slices of light bread in food processor)
    1T lemon juice
    1/4 t salt
    1/4 t dill
    2T parsley flakes
    2 eggs

mix well and fry in olive oil until golden brown!

On CORE counts as 1/4 point each, this recipe makes 8 patties, and I was full after 2, so only 1/2 point.
  • I like really easy recipes and this one qualifies. Got a big "yum" on the family satisfaction scale.

4 chicken breast halves
    1 cup of salsa
    reduced sodium taco seasoning (I used regular)
    1/4 cup FF sour cream
    2 Tbl. cornstarch

Spray crockpot with nonstick spray. Place chicken in crockpot and sprinkle with taco seasoning. Pour in salsa and cook on high for 6-8 hours. Remove chicken, add cornstarch mixed with a little water, stir, and add sour cream and stir. Pour sauce over chicken. Might be good with rice, too.

1 1/4 cups ketchup
    Dash Worcestershire sauce
    Dash white pepper
    Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
    1 can Diet Pepsi
    4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 Teaspoon of garlic powder or to taste
    Olive oil cooking spray

Mix ketchup, Worcestershire and peppers. Add cola and mix well. Set aside.

Dust chicken with garlic powder. Heat a nonstick skillet medium-high. I usually throw in 4 teaspoons of canola oil so I can get my good oil for the day. Brown chicken on both sides. Add cola mixture. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes or until juices run clear, turning once. Remove cover; increase heat to medium and simmer until sauce is reduced and thickened. Spoon sauce over chicken when serving. Works great with boneless skinless thighs too.
  • Linda, here is my most favorite Core main course meal. It is the best comfort food I've found on Core and it freezes beautifully. It is REALLY easy to make once you chop the peppers and onions. Everyone I have gotten to try it LOVES it. I'll probably be making it tonight because it tastes so good that I won't mind being back on program.

Smothered Chicken and Barley

1 teaspoon ground cumin (This is important to the flavor of the whole dish)
    3/4 teaspoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I don't use this)
    1/2 teaspoon dried mint flakes (I don't use this)
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder (I use extra garlic because we love it!)
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    6 (4-ounce) chicken thighs, skinned (You can use breasts)
    1/2 teaspoon canola oil (I usually use 2 teaspoons to brown the chicken)
    1 1/2 cups chopped onion (I use less because we aren't big onion eaters)
    1 cup chopped red bell pepper
    1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
    3 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth
    1 1/4 cups uncooked pearl barley
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
    6 tablespoons chopped green onions (I use two bunches-whatever it comes out to)

1. Combine the first 7 ingredients in a small bowl.
    2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sprinkle with a bit of the spice mixture; cook 1 minute on each side or until chicken is browned. When you flip the chicken, sprinkle with more spice mixture. Remove the chicken from the skillet.
    3. Add chopped onion, bell pepper, and soy sauce into the oil and juices left in the pan. Cook over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned. Add broth, barley, tomatoes, and remaining spice mixture, and stir well. Add chicken to skillet, nestling into vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 55 minutes or until chicken is done. Let stand 15 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions.

Serves: 6 (serving size: 1 chicken thigh, 1 cup barley mixture, and 1 tablespoon green onions), Cal: 286, Fat: 5g (14.7% calories from fat); Protein: 25g, Carb: 43g, Fiber: 9g, Chol: 54mg, Sodium: 468mg, POINTS: 5 or CORE
  • stuffed cabbage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Break off leaves of cabbage and steam until tender.
    Let cool, to the touch.
    Although I am Italian, I grew up in a Polish Neighborhood. The following receipe was an old "hood" favorite.

Blend 2lbs. cook ground meat ( turkey, beef or chicken are all good) with 1 cup of cook brown rice, in a large bowl.

Take one cabbage leaf and place approx. 2 tlbs of mixture in leaf.
    Fold leaf into a small bundle and place in a heavy pan (dutchoven)

Once you have all the leafs stuffed, take one can of tomatoe soup and 1/2 a can of cold water and pour over the stuffed cabbage.

Let simmer about one hour.

I find that the longer it simmers the more flavor that is absorbed.

You can add salt/pepper, onion power, ect. in mixture for flavor, if you wish.

** This is an all core receipe! I usually serve this with carrotts and boiled new potatoes...again, CORE

yum!
  • Having this with Potatoes and Carrots that are roasted also:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Creole Roast - 4 Points

Recipe By : Heloise
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Beef

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 pounds Beef tenderloin -- or any lean roast
    1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon dried parsley -- crumbled
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
    1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1/8 teaspoon onion powder
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

1. Trim off any excess fat from the tenderloin.

2. Rub meat with worchestershire sauce.

3. Combine remaining ingredients, sprinkle over meat and rub in.

4. Cover the meat and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour or over night in the refrigerator.

5. Preheat a covered grill to medium (if using coals arrange them around a drip pan).

6. Cook on the covered grill for about 45 minutes to 1 hour (depending on doneness desired) or for rare (45 minutes) until meat thermometer reaches 140 degrees F; for medium (55 minutes) until the meat thermometer reaches 160 degress F; for well done (1 hour) until meat thermomemter reaches 170 degrees F.

Calories: 150
    Fat grams: 8
    Fiber grams: 0

W/W points: 4

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Great Core Recipe also.

Kel
  • New England Boil Dinner/core

**Lean Red Corn Beef Brisket

6 potatoes peal adn whole
    6 lg carrots peal and whole
    1 jar onions, drained
    1 small turnip, yellow, peal and quartered

1 med. cabbage cut into quarters

Put meat in a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and let in simmer for about 3 hours.

Add turnip, carrots and potatoes and cook for about 45 minutes. Remover everything from water and put in a boil with foil. Put cabbage in water and bring to a boil. Cook till tender.

!!!! CUT BEEF AGAINST THE GRAIN~~~~

Serve with mustard, horseradish...cider vinger. What ever you like!

With the left over water, you can make SOUP~

add 1 can of tomatoe paste to the water.
    The left over pieces of veggies with this broth, make a great soup!

All Core!

CRUSTLESS PIZZA

1-1/2 lbs. 93% lean hamburger
    1/4 c. chopped onion
    1/4 c. chopped green pepper
    Canadian bacon
    1-1/2 c. shredded ff cheese
    1/2 c. SF FF pizza or spaghetti sauce

Press ground beef into a jelly roll pan . Bake at 375° 15-20 minutes. Spread sauce on meat, add the onion, green pepper and Canadian bacon. Top with cheese. Bake 375° 20 minutes.

Variations mushrooms, red pepper, black or green olives, chicken, pineapple . . . use your imagination - anything you would put on a pizza that is CORE will work here.

In a large bowl layer the following:

1 can FF refried beans
    shredded lettuce
    ff sour cream
    shredded ff cheese
    chopped tomatoes
    guacamole
    sliced ripe olives
    pico de gallo

This makes a great dip at parties.

Couscous Paella with Shrimp

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
    1 medium sweet yellow pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice,
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
    1 can (14 1/2-ounce) chicken broth
    1 cup water
    1 box (10 ounce) frozen peas, thawed
    1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, shelled and cleaned
    1 (10-ounce) box couscous
    1/2 cup pitted black olives, sliced

Heat oil in a 8 to 10 quart heavy bottomed pot. Add onion, garlic and sweet peppers; cook until peppers are tender, 8 minutes. Add salt, black pepper, thyme, pepper flakes and turmeric; cook 1 minute. Add broth, water, peas and shrimp. Simmer, covered, 2 minutes.
    Remove from heat. Stir in couscous; cover; let stand 5 minutes. Serve, garnished with olives.
  • Recipe: Ratatouille With Butternut Squash

Published: September 15, 2004

ime: 1 hour 15 minutes

1- 2 T olive oil (original recipe calles for 1/3 cup!)
    2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced to yield 2 1/2 cups
    1 teaspoon cumin seed
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    2 teaspoons sea salt, more as needed
    1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
    1 eggplant, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced to yield 6 1/2 cups
    1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced to yield 5 cups
    2 medium zucchini, trimmed and sliced into rounds to yield 2 cups
    1 yellow bell pepper, cored and sliced into strips to yield 1 1/2 cups
    1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes.

1. Place a large, wide pan over medium heat, and add oil. When it's hot, add onions, cumin, coriander and 2 teaspoons salt. Sauté until onion is tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, and sauté for 1 minute.

2. Add eggplant and squash. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add zucchini, bell pepper and tomatoes. Stir well, and reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.

3. Remove from heat, and adjust salt to taste. Allow to cool to room temperature before serving. If desired, cover and refrigerate, reheating gently before serving.

Yield: 6 servings.

4 (6oz) chicken breasts, skinless & boneless
    2 tsp dried basil
    1/4 tsp salt, divided
    1/4 tsp pepper, divided
    1 cup diced yellow bell pepper
    1 (16oz) can navy beans, rinsed and drained
    1 (14oz) can Italian diced tomatoes, undrained

1. place chicken in slow cooker and sprinkle with basil, 1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper.

2. Combne remaining salt, pepper, bell pepper, beans and tomatoes in bowl and stir well. Spoon over chicken. Cover with lid and cook on high 1 hour and low 5 hours. Spoon bean mixture into each of 4 shallow bowls. Top each with 1 breast and 3/4 cup bean mixture.

Shrimp and Tomatoes
    (serves 4)

Ingredients:
    -1.5 lb medium shrimp (peeled and deveined)
    -1 tbls plus 2 tsp olive oil
    -1/8 tsp red-pepper flakes
    -2 tbls fresh lemon juice
    -3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
    -6 plum tomatoes (cored, halved lengthwise, and sliced 1/2 inch thick)
    -2 tbls chopped fresh parsley

1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbls oil over high heat; swirl to coat pan. Season shrimp with salt and ground pepper. Add half the shrimp to the pan; cook until opaque throughout, 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a plate; repeat with remaining 2 tsp oil and shrimp.

2. Reduce heat to medium; add garlic and red-pepper flakes. Stir in tomatoes (I peel them before adding it); cook until they begin to breakdown, 4-6 minutes. Season with salt.

3. Return shrimp and any accumulated juices to pan. Add parsley and lemon juice; toss to coat. Serve over pasta, rice, or spinach if desired.

*** per serving (without pasta) 256 calories; 8.9 grams fat; 35.8 grams protein; 7.5 gr carbohydrates; 1.2 gr fiber
  • Hello everyone! I'm new to the Core Program. I haven't been to a class yet... waiting for payday! But, I've been working with it for over a week and love it. I had a meat loaf that was delicious!
    Saute garlic, onion, green pepper, celery, and sliced mushrooms in your 2 tsp. olive oil.
    Let them cool slightly and mix them with 1 lb. 93% ground beef, about 1/2 cup oatmeal, 2 eggs, and maybe 3/4 cup of salsa. Season with whatever you like. I used Italian seasoning, salt, pepper. I froze it in those very small loaf pans (approx 4"x2"). Recipe yielded 6 little meatloaves. This way I don't binge.
    I'm certainly open to any advice anyone has to offer. Thanks! Judi
  • I tried this recipe the other night and it was really good, so I thought that I'd share...

Chicken Cacciatore

Ingredients

8 oz uncooked whole-wheat spaghetti
    2 tsp olive oil
    1/2 cup onion(s), chopped
    2 medium garlic clove(s), minced
    1 medium green pepper(s), diced
    1 cup mushroom(s), sliced
    1 pound uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast(s), cut into 2-inch pieces
    2 tsp dried basil
    1 1/2 tsp curry powder
    1/2 tsp table salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    28 oz canned diced tomatoes
    1/4 cup parsley, fresh, chopped

Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain, run under warm water and cover with foil to keep warm.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan or stock pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, green pepper and mushrooms. Sauté until vegetables are tender and mushrooms release juice, about 4 minutes. Add chicken and sauté until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add basil, curry powder, salt, and black pepper; stir to coat.

Add tomatoes and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in parsley.

Transfer spaghetti to four shallow bowls and spoon chicken mixture over top. Yields about 1 cup of chicken mixture and 1 cup of spaghetti per serving.

♥♥