Eggnog - Phase II recipes

• Sugar-Free Eggnog 2

Phases 2 and 3. From www.allrecipes.com: An eggnog recipe that tastes great. Pudding may sound strange, but believe me the final product is awesome. Prep Time: approx. 15 Minutes. Ready in: approx. 12 Hours 15 Minutes. Makes 10 servings.

4 cups skim milk, divided
    1 (1 ounce) package instant sugar-free vanilla pudding mix
    1 cup egg substitute
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

In a medium bowl combine 2 cups milk and pudding mixture; stir well until thickened.

To the pudding add remaining 2 cups milk and egg substitute; mix well. Stir in vanilla extract, salt and nutmeg until well blended and coats a spoon. Refrigerate overnight.

Hazelnut Eggnog

Phases 2 and 3. Cooked like a custard sauce, this eggnog has the thick, rich consistency of the store-bought variety.

6 eggs

1/4 cup granular sugar substitute (such as Splenda in bulk package, not from packets)

1/2 cup Atkins or Da Vinci Sugar Free Hazelnut Syrup

1 1/2 cups fat free half and half

2 cups water

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In large saucepan, beat together eggs and sugar substitute. In a mixing bowl, mix hazelnut syrup, fat free half and half, and water; stir 2 cups of this mixture into the egg mixture.

Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat a metal spoon (160° F). Remove from heat; stir in remaining 2 cups cream mixture and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, several hours or overnight.

Sugar-Free Eggless "Eggnog" 1

Phases 2 and 3. Quick and easy. Makes eight six-ounce servings. From www.allrecipes.com: This recipe is good for those who are allergic to eggs, and those who would like an eggnog free of worries. French vanilla pudding, with a little rum flavoring, and nutmeg, and they'll never know.

1 (3.5 ounce) package instant French vanilla pudding
    1 1/2 quarts milk (can use skim or 1%)
    2 1/2 teaspoons rum flavored extract
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

In a large bowl, combine the pudding mix with 2 cups of milk, following package directions; allow to chill for 5 minutes.

To the pudding stir in the rum flavoring and nutmeg, then slowly mix in the remaining 4 cups of m ilk until the mixture is a thick but drinkable consistency. Chill until ready to serve.

South Beach Diet Eggnog
    Phases 2 and 3. From the South Beach Diet Online's Daily Dish 12/24/03.

1 1/2 cups egg substitute (such as Egg Beaters)
    2 tablespoons artificial sweetener (Nutrasweet, aspartame, Splenda, etc.)*
    2 tablespoons vanilla
    2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated skim milk
    3 cups fat-free half-and-half
    1 tablespoon brandy extract
    Nutmeg

Pour 1 1/2 cups egg substitute into bowl. Add artificial sweetener and mix on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually blend in vanilla, evaporated skim milk, fat-free half-and-half, and brandy extract. Chill for 24 hours to blend the flavors. To serve, stir well and sprinkle with nutmeg.

*Note: Doesn't say if this measurement should be packets or granular. Haven't tried it yet, but I would probably use at least 1/2 cup granular Splenda in this recipe.
  • I tried the pudding variation for Christmas this year. Because our frig was so full I put the container out on the back porch and it partially froze. The end result was a milkshake/slushy drink. The truth is, I liked it so much I may intentionally do it next time! Nice flavor.