Eggnog - Phase I

• Here's a few that I've found..

Sugar-Free Eggnog 1

All phases. Posted on Prevention's SBD forum.

4 cups fat-free milk
    1 cup egg substitute
    Sugar substitute equal to 4 tablespoons of sugar
    1 tablespoon rum extract or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Combine milk, egg substitute, sugar substitute, and rum extract or vanilla extract. Beat with rotary beater or electric mixer until blended. Chill thoroughly. Stir before serving and sprinkle with nutmeg.

Sugar-Free Eggnog 2
    Modified from http://www.perfectentertaining.com.

4 eggs, separated
    1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons bulk packaged Splenda, divided
    Pinch salt
    2 cups fat free half and half
    1 cup eggnog flavor or rum flavor sugar-free syrup (such as Da Vinci)
    1 cup water
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 teaspoons rum extract
    Whipped cream (sweetened with Splenda) (optional)*
    Freshly ground nutmeg

Beat the egg yolks in a medium heavy saucepan. Add the 1/3 cup Splenda and salt, and mix well. Stir in the fat free half and half, syrup, and water and mix well. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and reaches 160 degrees.

Remove from the heat and add the extracts. Cool to room temperature. Beat the egg whites with the remaining 2 tablespoons Splenda until soft peaks form. Fold the eggs whites into the egg yolk mixture, and chill for at least three hours. Serve in cups with the whipped cream (if using) and nutmeg.

Makes 8 servings. Preparation Time: 15 minutes; Cooking Time: 10 minutes; Chilling Time: 3 hours; Total Time: 3 hours, 25 minutes.

*Whippd cream has saturated fat, so you can omit this if desired.

Sugar-Free Holiday Eggnog

All Phases. From http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com.

2 cups skim milk
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    12 packets Equal® sweetener (or other sugar substitute)
    2 eggs, beaten
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 cups skim milk, chilled
    1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Mix 2 cups milk, cornstarch, and sweetener in a small saucepan; heat to boiling; boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Beat eggs in medium bowl. Mix about half the milk mixture into the eggs; then add this egg mixture to remaining milk in saucepan. Cook over low heat until slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and cinnamon. Cool to room temperature; refrigerate until chilled, or until serving time.

Stir 2 cups milk into custard mixture; serve in small glasses or punch cups. Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg.

Variation: If desired, 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons run or brandy extract can be stirred into the eggnog.

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving: Calories 79 Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 10 mg.

(I thought the cornstarch would have made it Phase II but I found it under the Phase I recipes)