Walking

• I am having my new treadmill delivered on Monday (I can't wait!) and I was wondering what a good beginning goal would be for someone who has never really exercised as much as they should have. I'm willing to put in the effort but I need to be able to see some progress to keep motivated. Another question, I have heard people that believe either side of this, but which is best slow and steady with more miles or a faster shorter distance? Thanks everyone.
  • Andria, it depends on your level of fitness on what a beginning goal would be. What I would do is perhaps pick a number, say 15 minutes then do it for that long. If you can only go to 10, then the next time go for 11. If you can go to 15, then next time go to something like 17.

As far as what is better slow and longer or faster and shorter, I would say do intervals and mix it up. Go at a steady pace that you can keep for a few minutes, then go faster and/or higher incline for a minute, then go back to your original pace. Keep doing that off and on throughout your workout and you will be able to go longer than if you had kept up the faster pace but your heart will get a good workout as well as your body.
  • I read somewhere that it is better to walk than run when you are trying to lose fat because fat needs oxygen to burn, & when you are running, you are out of breath, which means you aren't getting enough oxygen to burn the fat, and instead burn carbs. I don't know if that is true, but it made sense to me. However, I also read many places that muscle burns more calories at rest than fat does, so it is also good to focus on muscles. So, I guess I agree with nelie in that you should mix it up. Good luck to you!
  • A treadmill is a great investment in your neck of the woods this time of year. We invested in a top of the line TM this summer to combat the Texas heat.

I use my treadmill for more intense exercise. I walk, jog and do intervals....but my purpose is always to improve my cardiovascular and respiratory systems. I try to work at 70-80 percent my max heart rate for 30 minutes minimum. My plan is to begin running once I drop about 30 pounds. In the meantime, I'll walk at a given pace and once I feel my body accomodate to the workload, I raise the incline. Just by altering the incline, you can get the benefits of jogging without the impact.

I am not one to walk on the TM for 3-4 miles at a casual pace, I try and get that extra walking throughout the day. But people can make a case for both sides of the issue. It just depends on your ultimate goals and timeline. Main thing is to use it and not let it become an expensive clothes hanger.
  • Treadmills are great. I think trying 20 minutes of intervals would be great to start and find out if you need more or less time. I do intervals on the treadmill because it targets the cardio and fat burning all in one. I started out just walking one lap at the mall!