I am sitting here eating my 1st PB cup...tell me

• Is it supposed to have this crunchy texture?

I bought all natural creamy PB made by my local grocer. The flavor was OK, it is a good enough treat but the texture was kind of grainy. Did I just get not enough of a creamy PB? What PB are you all buying?
  • It's pretty difficult to find a really creamy natural PB. You may just have to get used to the "crunch", Jen.
  • You can try different brands. I use "crazy richards" natural peanut butter. I get it at Shoppers. It taste ok, unless I'm just used to it now. It doesn't seem grainy or crunchy. It is hard to stir all the oil back into the peanuts, if you don't get it all mixed well, sometimes it does seem a little more gritty. Once thinking we'd be supper healthy I poured the oil off the top....hmmm, not a good idea, don't do that.

I'm not big on natural peanut butter. I like the sugar, salt and hydrogenated oils of highly processed and bad for you peanut butter. Oh, well. Gave it up to become healthy.
  • I use Smucker's Natural PB. Much easier to mix, and it's been around my house since I was 8!
  • Smucker's is the creamiest but I LOVE crunchy PB! Yum....
  • Sometimes I have to get Crazy Richards, but Smuckers tastes better for whatever reason.
  • I wish there was a crunchy natural PB in our grocery store!

The sugar kind always seemed like more of a treat than like real peanut butter to me. Thankfully, the switch back was easy enough.
  • How do you stir your peanut butter?
    Do you think that Smuckers taste better then the Crazy Richard brand? I only buy CR because it's cheaper.

Ok, advice time: How do you stir up you peanut butter so that it is incorporated? I tend to make a mess of it spilling the oil, and then sometimes, I'll get my fingers all inside the peanut butter trying to get down to the bottom of the jar. One time I thought I did a great job and it tasted pretty good until I got almost half through and realized that I hadn't stir up the bottom, it was still there all solid. Made it a little thicker finishing up that jar.
  • Sarah, you're funny.
    Do you keep yours in the fridge? If it's stirred really well, it should remain "stable". You could also put it in a larger container to make it easier to stir without making a mess.
  • I use a butter knife in a mostly up and down motion to stir it. I keep it in the fridge and once it was stirred really well, I had no problems with it.
  • Sorry, I can not eat natural peanut butter...I'm a PB snob. So, I only eat it once in a GREAT while and if I do it's gotta be Jif. I've tried every natural brand that my grocery store carries (Richard's, Smuckers, etc.) and they all taste bland and grainy. Ew. I guess now I know where DD gets her finicky eating!
  • I like Smuckers, personally. It's pretty creamy, and tastes pretty good too. It did take me a while to get used to the difference between natural peanut butter and the regular stuff. The lack of sweetness surprised me when I first tried it. I've since discovered that I can't really eat it the same way I eat the normal stuff. I've given up hopes of PB sandwiches and tried a few new (for me, at least) ideas - I particularly like to spread it on wheat bread and dip it in vegetable soup, since it isn't really sweet. Mmm-mm! My dad tends to eat natural PB as fast as we buy the stuff, though, so I don't get a lot of it.
  • I use either a cake knife (the long, thin blade used for spreading frosting) or a long, thin spatula. Stir a bit at first, using an up and down motion to get the oil on top incorporated. Then you can start hitting the bottom and trying to get it to mix up.

When I was young, I grew up on Laura Scudder's natural PB (west coast). I loved that stuff! Smuckers is okay, but not nearly as good. The salt tends to fall to the bottom in theirs and I have to salt the things I put PB on.