Weekly Thread: Aug 9-15th Be Good to you!

You're on Page 3 of 5
Go to
  • New day today - ODAT
    I really loved this meditation I got in my inbox this morning:

I thank You God for this most amazing day ; For the leaping greenly
    spirits of trees and a blue dream of sky ; and for everything which is
    natural which is infinite which is yes.
    - e.e.
    Cummings

Today I will notice. If possible, I will walk outside and look for
    dandelions and new green buds on bushes and trees. I will look
    for blackbirds building nests and robins digging worms. I will look
    at the clouds and try to name the color of the sky. I will notice the
    color of light and the shadows made by buildings, clotheslines and
    fences.

Today I will listen, really listen to the sounds made by birds, traffic,
    church bells, and the construction workers. I will try to hear children
    laughing, dogs barking, cars honking and the wind.

Today I will hug a tree and hold my hand against the ground. I will
    notice how my skin feels when the cool breeze blows against the
    back of my neck.I will caress my naked body, walk barefoot in the
    grass, and enjoy the warm sun on my face. Today is my day to pay
    attention and give thanks.

I give thanks for all my senses. They are all I need to know God.
  • Awwwwww Olive you too, lol!

That is cute, I'm going to tell that to my kids today

Hope you guys all have a great day, find a moment for yourselves to escape and reflect, and let your hearts smile big!

skippy oxo

(and thanks for that, rochemist!)
  • Chris you are such a sweetheart!!

Just a quick post from me today my inlaws are arriving this afternoon and I'm getting stuff ready.

I want to report that I am feeling content even after eating a breakfast that consisted of 2.5 pancakes and I don't feel bad about it!! I'm happy and content and excited all at once at least today will be a good day

Olive you all tooo!! LOL thats just too cute.

You all have a wonderful day and let the sun shine on your face
    oh yeah I may be scarce this week cuz the in laws but I'll make every effort to come check in

Love to you all!
    Michelle
  • Hi ladies, HI SKIPPY!! Glad to see you back.

Kat - sending you a big fat hug all the way across the country. I'm sure it's hard to be emotionally supportive of DH when you need support yourself.

I'm doing okay. Actually, it's TOTM, and I've been a little impatient with the kids during the past few days. I get so sick of getting screamed at, kicked, pinched, bit, and whined to. But in a few days, I won't mind so much.

It's peach season, so I'm getting lots of fruit in daily. And out!! My eating hasn't been stellar, but my overall mood has improved, giving me more control. Today we're celebrating Matt's birthday with pizza and cake - I may give leftovers to our neighbors who just had a baby.

I haven't said hello to Sandi yet, so . Looking forward to knowing you better. Please stick around with us.

ALL of you are in my thoughts. Take care.
  • Morning Everyone!!!

Yesterday was my 1st no binge day!! YEA!!!! Today is going along nicely. I am treating every choice as a chance to get it right. This is very new thinking for me. I am very much a "you already blew it, you might as well pig out" kind of gal. I am making an honest list of my trigger foods. Those will be my "can't have" foods. I am paying attention to how I feel after I eat to see what foods leave me wanting and what foods leave me satisfied.

treasaigh - Hi back to you!! I don't think I'm going anywhere!! I am the mod for the 100 lb club. I guess maybe I should introduce myself. Sandi - mom to Jacob (guess you knew that much!). Happily married for 12 years. Work full time as a computer software trainer. Highest Weight - 320 (1999). Jan '04 weight - 300. Current Weight - 312?? I am constantly on plan and then off plan. Yo-Yo diet to the T. Seems as if lately, I can't seem to find the courage to stay on a plan at all. I had just started WW again with little success when Jennelle and Miss Chris encouraged me to try OA. I went to my first meeting last Sunday. I liked it. I quit WW and plan on exploring OA more. So I am a true newbie. I am trying to be very honest with myself which I don't think that I have done in the past. you all seem like a very nice group. I like the feel over here.

I'm on lunch and don't really have time to address everyone. Hi to all and have a mindful day!!!
  • You ladies are sounding great.

Today, so far, has been a MUCH better day - for both me and DH. Really driving the ODAT theory home. I started the day going to a f2f OA meeting and a brief meeting with my sponsor.

Have a good evening, all.
  • Hey guys, I hope everyone is doing ok! My day went ok, one patient crisis and a bunch of paper work. I think autumn is getting closer, I pulled out my coca cola blanket while watching the news. I agree with you Chris, everyone has a plan in this life, but I think others are lead down a different path just to come out leaders . I have to tell you though, i'm so sick from this Prozac And I can relate with you on the dreams!! Gosh, so freaky!
    Michelle- Congrats on feeling good! Most people tend to not understand why we fret over what we ate, but to feel good after we eat, that's something to brag about it!!
  • Hi to everyone.

Been busy again this week. Having to work again for Ronnie. This time just 2 day's. Have a podiatrist appointment tomorrow afternoon. I'm so ready to have surgery on these feet.

I'm a happy camper cause tomorrow my new riding lawn mower is going to be delivered.

I do have a question for someone to answer--Is bingeing and pigging out the same thing?

I think Christy asked what kind of work I do. I' m a water treatment plant operator-- I Keep the water supply for the city purified and safe to drink.
  • CeeJay - I consider bingeing and pigging out to be synonyms, so yeah, they're about the same thing.

Chris - "Thank U" is my favorite Alanis song, next to "You Oughta Know." Her angry-young-woman period is great after a tough day...turn it up loud!

I'm sleeeeeeepy! I also discovered on Tuesday that I have a fifth grader who can't read. I mean, she CANNOT read! She missed 10 of 20 words on a pre-primer list, which is like a kindergarten list. I thought maybe she just needed some context, but she couldn't read a pre-primer level story, either. The first word was "Pat." We had to sound it out together. Whew. I've never taught a kid to read from scratch. My husband says I taught our kids, but I didn't. I just read to them a lot and took them to the library and they kind of just absorbed it somehow.

Anyhow, this girl gets special ed services, but it seems to me that her special ed teacher gave up on her. Plus, we've got the whole inclusion thing going on this year, which is a good idea - if it's implemented correctly.

Anyway, here's my gratitude list:
    (1) I'm grateful for Hooked on Phonics 'cause it's gonna teach Charmaine to read!
    (2) I'm grateful for Risperdal and Ritalin.
    (3) I'm grateful for children who can solve conflict with their heads, not their hands.
    (4) I'm grateful for students who make me laugh. (A kid tried to give me his math book back. "I quit math," he said quite vehemently. )
    (5) I am grateful that the cafeteria had chef salads today, because I left my lunch on the kitchen counter. )
  • Good Morning!
    Olive you! That joke was so awesome Christy! If I wasn't going to work I would use it all day. I am so sorry your Mom was such a bear going to the Dr., sometimes its really hard to love people just as they come. Compassion is a daily struggle. But mostly I think we need to find compassion for ourselves.

Yesterday was good food wise. I went to my 2 meetings, in one day I was topic speaker at the second meeting. I talked about the action verbs in the 12 steps. I have been wondering what "living" the steps were. And this relapse has helped me see. OA is a program of action verbs, not just concepts and ideas. By the way I celebrate one weeks of abstinence today. All that is over though, and today is the only day I got. ODAT!

Jenelle- I have always liked "U Oughta Know" and I still do though I find is a bit disturbing that it is probably about Dave Coulier (yes, Uncle Joey from Full House) truly proves that love is a strange and splended thing. Alanis is the girl though, I love "Everything". I totally feel that is a recovery song about acceptance. She looks beautiful. Okay sorry back to Jenelle. Teaching someone to read from scratch I hear you it always has seemed to me like something people just do.

CJ- Is bingeing and pigging out the same thing? I think if your asking you probably know. All those things are between you and your understanding of God sweetie. :grouphup: Enjoy your new tractor!

Kat- awesome meditation! Take care of yourself girl! (talking with sponsors is a wonderful way to feel loved )

Vanessa- Plug on through I swear it gets better in 2-3 weeks. In the interim music, or the most boring DVD's you have to drown out the dreams. Fall is coming on fast but I wonder what that means for winter

Sandi- I am glad you feel welcomed here. You are starting off on a wonderful journey with many hills and valleys. Either way we are still here for you (as well as the sweet ladies at the 100 lb. club, hey someone should know what I weight )

Tracy- How was Matt's party? We need to get you and Michelle on vacation! Come visit!!!!!!!!

Michelle- You check in when you can. Have fun and compassion for your in-laws. I send you with prayers. Visitors= stress (and sometimes weird food too! )

Skippy-Hope you guys all have a great day, find a moment for yourselves to escape and reflect, and let your hearts smile big! U TOO PRETTY GIRL!!!!!!!!!

Okay off to finish preparing food for the day! U all!
    Chris
  • Good morning!

Jennelle – Hugs to you! You can teach that girl to read, honey. That’s what we do. And, it will give you such an incredible feeling of accomplishment because you will totally change her life by doing so. Your husband was right about you teaching your kids. If more parents would do the kinds of things you did, we wouldn’t have as many fifth graders who couldn’t read. Of course, a special needs child is somewhat different. Oh, inclusion. Our district implemented that a few years ago, but it’s turned into more like self-contained with some strong students tossed into the mix. Not really what the model was about, I believe.

Michelle – Have fun with those in-laws. Hurricane Charley has saved me from a weekend with mine since the rain and storms passing through on Saturday and Sunday are keeping us from traveling.

Skippy – Glad you enjoyed my daughter’s joke. She’s actually used that one for about 3 years (and she’s only six). I think she may grow up to be a comedian…or a lion tamer…or an astronaut…or a construction worker. She’s such an eclectic mix of energy and ideas!

ceejay – I remember you telling us about your work now. Like Chris and Jennelle, I think bingeing and pigging out are the same. Bingeing sounds more clinical and pigging out sounds like something even a normal person might do sometimes.

Vanessa – Autumn is in the air here, too. I love, love, LOVE it. It is my absolute favorite season of the year.

Chris – Congrats on your week of abstinence! That’s awesome, chica! Alanis and Dave Coulier…I was telling my DH about that the other day because we were listening to that song on the radio. I’m glad you put it in perspective for me with “love is a strange and splendid thing”. I’ve always been creeped out by Alanis with Uncle Joey…especially within the context of some of that song.

Tracey – A big milestone birthday for your little man, huh? Isn’t it unreal how quickly the time slips away when they’re babies? I look at my 10 yo somedays and want to just bawl for the beautiful baby she once was.

Sandi – I’m glad you had a binge-free day! That’s a wonderful accomplishment. Hang in there ODAT.

Gratitude list…
    1. The rainy day yesterday made it possible for DH to spend the afternoon at home instead of working.
    2. I found a cute tote bag for school.
    3. I don’t have to miss church on Sunday since we’re not going out of town.
    4. The sound of the hummingbirds at our feeder outside.

I’m feeling good about the day ahead. Hope y’all have a great one, too!

Love and hugs,
    Christy
  • I didn't do my best yesterday with what I ate, but I didn't do my worst either, but I refuse to focus on the negative, and I am going to focus on the positive. I didn't eat any chocolate, didn't eat anything terribly wrong, so I will focus on that. (that's my thinking for today anyway), I'm off to drink my coffee, (I love my coffee!!)

Happy Friday to all of you and I think you guys are ALL awesome!!

Much love, skippy oxo
  • Hey guys!! I hope everyone's Friday is going great! Mine went smoothly, saw all of my patients, left work a little early and went to my therapy session. Each time I go I found a little bit more about myself that I didnt' even know about.. Does that make sense? Such as why I do things, or say things, or how I feel.. I guess you could say therapy is working! LOL
    Christy-I LOVE LOVE LOVE FALL!!!! Halloween is my fave holiday, could be the memories of childhood school parties and buckets of candy. But Fall reminds me of high school football games and marching band!
    Chris- I'm hanging in there, and I'm finding that I'm "acting" a little different.. I have been sleeping with my tv on to drown out my thoughts too. I still count way too much and focus on numbers, but hey, a little bit is alway something!
    Sigh.. where has the summer gone? It's written in the books now, with fresh pages ahead of us!
    I hope you guys have a wonderful Friday night, God bless!
    Love
    Vanessa
  • Vanessa - Do we have another band nerd in the mix? I marched all four years in high school (clarinet, and drum major my senior year). 14 years later, I marched a semester in college and LOVED it! Fall also reminds me of football games and cute red-headed boys named Greg.
  • Oh, wait, my gratitude list!

(1) I am grateful for parents who are grateful for me. (Can I share a happy? I sent a note home with my non-reader yesterday. I'd tried to call her mom, but never got an answer. Her mom thanked me for taking such an interest in her daughter's education. It's the first thank you note I've ever gotten from a parent.)

(2) I am grateful for unseasonably cool days in August.

(3) I am grateful that I am letting God guide me this school year.

(4) I am grateful that tomorrow is hubby's payday!

(5) I am grateful for comfy blue jeans after a long day at work!