jogging question

• I usually don't run... unless someone is chasing me. I have been using the elliptical for a couple of months now and wanted to change up my routine. So a couple of weeks ago I thought I would try running. Well, at the pace I go, it is considered more of a jog. So, my question is, is it better to jog at a slower pace (4.5 mph) for a longer period of time (about 13 minutes) or at a faster pace (5mph) only for a couple of minutes. I can jog at the slower pace for a while but once i go any faster than that, I can only jog for about 2 minutes before I think i am going to die. When I am at 5mph, i usually do intervals of 2 minutes of jogging and then 3 minutes of walking at 3mph.
    Is ther a 'better' way of doing this or does it really matter?
    all this excercising stuff gets confusing!
    thanks a bunch
    joan
  • jogging speed

hi there,

from what i've read and from the jogging clinic i attend here is what i think.
    get yourself to a point where you can jog for 30 minutes. if you can't do that at any speed just work up to it by alternating walking and jogging and decreasing your walking time and increasing your jogging time by 1 minute until until you can do it completely. precede your jog with a 5 minute walking warm up.
    once you can do this you can vary your workouts if you plan on jogging more than once a week. have one outing (or on the treadmill) where you just jog at a pace where can finish the 30 minutes jogging. have another day where you alternate jogging quickly and slowly. like slow 5 minutes fast for 1 minute, repeat. and have another workout where you incorporate some hills to strenghthen your upper leg muscles.
    by varying your workouts you will keep from getting bored and you will see results more quickly. try not to jog two days in a row, give your legs a rest. this is very important or else you will overtrain them and wont improve.
    there are web-sites you can check out for help, schedules and hints.
    runningroom.com has a lot of information.

i hope this helps, good luck
    gen
  • Thanks gen
    I have been trying to run every day... oops.
  • It should be noted that jogging slower than a certain speed is actually less efficient than walking that speed, and remember when trying to lose weight, "less efficient" is better -- you burn more calories even though you don't go as far. So to some extent, when the aim is losing weight, speed doesn't matter. What matters is form (i.e., jogging vs. just walking).
  • I read in Zest or somewhere similar that "Sprinting" for 30secs then "jogging" for 1min 30 will boost your metabolism and incresase your fitness faster than just jogging or running at the same pace. Aparently this interval tye training also increases your metabolism for longer AFTER your run so you burn more calories while resting! YAY!

Although sprinting and then jogging to rest seems a bit extreme, I used to jog for 30secs then walk fast for 1min 30 and did really improve my fitness.

WHatever you decide to do, have fun!
  • Here is my two cents. If you like it keep doing it. If you don't like it try something different. I know that for myself the more that I keep going the longer that I could go.
    Tanya