Bean Salad with Artichokes

• Bean Salad with Artichokes
    From Cooking Light

Phase 1 alone, Phase 2 in a WW pita.

"This salad is quick to make and can be adapted to include other vegetables you may have on hand. Vary the seasonings to suit your taste. Try it inside a pita pocket for a tasty sandwich." --CL Reader

Salad:
    1 cup chopped plum tomato
    1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
    1/2 cup chopped red onion
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1 (19-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
    1 (19-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
    1 (14-ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained

Dressing:
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) feta cheese, crumbled
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    1 1/2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 garlic clove, minced

To prepare salad, combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl.
    To prepare the dressing, combine the cheese and remaining ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Pour dressing over salad; cover and chill for 1 hour.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups salad)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 294 (15% from fat); FAT 4.9g (sat 1.1g, mono 2.1g, poly 0.7g); PROTEIN 14.1g; CARB 49.2g; FIBER 13.3g; CHOL 4mg; IRON 2.9mg; SODIUM 404mg; CALC 75mg;

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2001
  • Can you tell I'm getting into the summer salad mode? I made a cabinet version of this today (used what I had ) I just used garbanzos, added celery and skipped the thyme and mustard. I served it over salad greens. Very tasty
  • Thanks for resurrecting this recipe, Cyndi. It sounds wonderful and I'm going to go out and get the ingredients I need to make it for supper.
  • This gets a big thumbs up from me! I made it according to the directions, but I think it would be good with cubed avocado, too.
  • I don't like tomato so omitted it and we were out of feta so I used Gorgonzola and Parmesan. It was delicious! I think I might try it with a little more mustard next time. I like your suggestion of avocado, that sounds pretty tasty too.
  • I love being reminded of yummy recipes I've forgotten about, and just in time for salad season!