Anyone here not weigh?

• I'm just curious if anyone here has tried losing weight without weighing at all. Or else, maybe just weighing every month or less frequently.

I really don't feel like weighing. I did sneak on the scale once but, eh, I just don't feel like it. I never really obsessed over it, but I did get to a point where I'd weigh daily, and if I went a week and didn't lose and ate well I'd feel all frustrated. So, maybe I should just ignore that.

It's funny. I can look at myself and not see that I'm losing weight when it happens. I don't know why I'm so blind. Others will sometimes note it. But clothes getting baggy is pretty indicative that something is going right.

I'm just not sure if I'll feel the same in a few weeks, if the call of the scale will get to me.
  • I am of the scale obsessed breed, so now I choose to weigh my food instead of my body. I have to go the Dr.'s every couple of months and I weigh then.

Chris
  • I weigh once a week. I tried not weighing but I keep telling myself oh you can have this or that. Knowing I did not have to weigh I did not have to be as accountable for what I ate. Therefore it did not work well for me.
  • I used to be afraid of the scales, but now, Its kinda fun. It definitely makes you more accountable. It works for me but that doesn't mean it will work for you! I think that as long as you feel good it tends to give you incentive. I think you are doing a wonderful job Howie! Keep up the good work. What ever makes you feel the best is what you should do. We are all different-- with the same goals. Sometimes I feel so good about myself and really I think that is what it comes down to. Feeling good, feeling vibrant, feeling alive at any weight.. Woah, I just went off on some tangent there didn't I? Anyway, keep up the good work and just do what feels right for you!
  • I'm with Gretchen. When I know that I have to weigh once a week it does hold me accountable. It is motivating for me. Basically, it keeps me in line. And, when I see the loss on the scale it also motivates me to do well. I think that whatever floats ones boat is what they should do. If one does better by not weighing frequently that is great.
  • I'm pretty scale-obsessed, but it goes in cycles. Sometimes I can't function if I don't weigh myself, sometimes I can go weeks or months without weighing myself.

I know a lot of people who use body measurements instead of scale numbers. Body measurements are a more accurate picture, anyhow. In the end, you have to do what's right for you...doesn't matter what anyone else does or thinks.
  • Hmm. Its interesting this weighing thing. I didn't weight myself for years and years and years.....last November I took the plunge and bought myself a set of electronic scales, which give body fat percentage as well as weight. I have to say, I am beginning to wish that I hadn't.....at first I weighed once a week, which was fine. Now its once a day, which I know is meaningless, but its become a habit....and in my humble opinion, not a good one. I could banish the scales, since I also go to a slimming group and get weighed...mind you, I do think being weighed at a group is totally ridiculous...why can't we just weigh ourselves and tell our weight?? But I won't go off on that tangent......Personally, I think going by how your clothes fit/body measurements is much more meaningful, especially if you are exercising a lot.....but, as everyone else says, in the end it comes down to what works for you......
  • I weigh myself almost every day but it helps me keep focused and on track. I have accepted the inevitable peaks and valleys of weightloss but it reminds me of all my hard work and where i came from and where i never want to be again.
  • Throw the scale away!

Tape measure and pictures are a much better indicator. Especially if you're lifting weights.

I find that a habit a lot of people get into with the scale is determining whether or not to give up based on the number that pops up. How many times have I heard on this board, "I weighed myself on friday and I gained three pounds so I said 'forget it' and ate like crap all weekend." The scale can be a unhealthy co-dependent relationship.
  • That is a really good point Jessica. I've only had one gain on my journey so far. I was upset, but it motivated me to work harder the next week. But, I can certainly see your point.
  • The scale always screwed me over in previous weight loss attempts. It was ALWAYS demoralizing, because I rarely lost as much as I thought I should, and heaven forbid that I didn't lose anything or gained, even if it was due to my period or something. So, in my current program, I only weighed about once every six weeks to remove that curse. After about 6 months I started weighing every week, because I felt I could handle it. If I ran a weight loss program, I'd recommend monthly weigh-ins at most, with simultaneous body fat % measurements.