Any other calorie counters out there?????

You're on Page 1 of 5
Go to
  • Just wondered if there were any other calorie counters out there? I have tried many programs WW etc, have counted fats and still come right back to the calorie counting again. I do not count fats, but I try to make low fat choices. Was just interested to know if anyone else uses this method. It must be what I was meant for as I come back to it over and over again.
  • Me!!! (raising my hand and waving frantically)
    I'm just like you - I keep going back to the old-fashioned calorie counting (calories in and calories out).

But I realize not everyone is crazy about counting all those little calories - thank goodness for points and exchanges.

I really enjoy using www.fitday.com to keep track of my intake and outtake - it's great and best of all, FREE! FREE!!
  • I've been struggling with my weight for years and I finally accepted that the only solution is to keep track of my weight as regularly as possible. Every day after I wake up but before I shower I record my daily weight and enter it into a log. I found a great website for logging weight and caloric intake! You can track your progress and it even tells you how many calories per day you are burning off and what your target daily calorie level should be. I think the link is:

http://www.everydaytrend.com

Even if you're not fully in control of your diet, it is a great help to have a clear picture of what's going on. Knowing that continuing at your current rate you will slowly be adding a pound or two every month is an awfully powerful motivator, especially when you consider that skipping out on some butter or switching to diet soda might make all the difference.
  • Me Too!!
    I've come back to calorie counting too... I also use www.fitday.com, love that site.... What are you girls keeping your calorie count between each day... I TRY desperately to stay between 1200 and 1600 with less than 43 gms of fat....but lately, I am always above 1600... AND I exercise regularly too..... My periods started today too... what a relief that is.....I can see myself unbloating as we speak......

Anyways....just my 2 cents.....

lana........
  • I currently am trying to keep cals at 1600 although on the weekend I will crawl up a bit. I also weigh quite a bit more probably, starting out around 280, so need the extra fuel. I tried 1000-1200 and thought I was going to starve to death. I would rather lose slowly and steadily///I have been the way of the quick diet 40 off and then 40 back on. That seems to be hard on the old body.

Elaine
  • There is so much truth in weight loss being counting calories. I think whatever diet you choose you still end up taking in less calories no matter what kind of food you are using. However I don't actually count calories but I do think about what I had eaten for each meal and so by the end of the day I have a really good idea of how many I have eaten, between 1200-1500 every day. I also try and have most of my calories before dinner so I don't usually have a huge evening meal.
  • Sometimes I log my calories and sometimes I just make estimates, and I think most of the time I do pretty well at home, eating out---well, questionable. Let's face it, most of us who have been counting calories a long time are pretty good at estimating what we eat, for better or worse.

I don't take anything away from other programs, in fact I know lots of people who have had success with most of them!!! I just agree with every one else that when it comes right down to it, calories do count.

Elaine
  • Hi there!

Count me in as another one counting calories. I've just started doing this recently, hubby also, due to his heart scare a few weeks ago, his Dr. told him once again that he needs to do something about the extra weight, and he sent in a Nutritionist at the hospital (I was still there when she came in) and we really had a great conversation...learned alot and learned how much we've actually been eating....amazing when we think about it now.

I've basically used the Zone, cutting out refined carbs, eating a leaner protien and watching the fat intake. I have lost about 20 lbs. on it, but since watching the calories, I've dropped another 6 lbs. and have about 10 more to go.

I have a few calorie counter books, and it boggles my mind when I think I'm having a 1/2 cup and measure it, it turns out to be more like 3/4 to 1 full cup. Haven't yet been able to "eyeball" correct portions yet, but we're doing much better and feel so much better too.

Glad to have found a thread talking about this. I was considering doing just that, asking where the other Calorie Counters were, and what's helping them also.

We keep a food/exercise journal as well and it's been such a help.

Have a great day!
  • I'm a calorie counter too!
    I am a calorie counter too. I read in Prevention magazine that you can try all the fad diets and they will work while you stick to it. The reason they work is that they naturally control the calories you get. (no bread, no desserts, etc..) It comes down to calories. If you eat more than your body needs you gain-less you lose!

I too weigh a lot so I have been keeping my calories around 2000 a day. I have lost 25 pounds so far, slowly but surely (since Jan 1). At 2000 cals I am definately not starving and plan to stick to this amount until I don't lose and will have to lower it to 1800. I figure if it works,stick with it. If you drastically reduce the amount of calories you get your bod goes into starvation mode and slows down your metabolism. I have read tons on this! Now I have to just lose this weight!! LOL

do you all want to keep this thread going? We can report our weigh ins and how many calories we are getting and also exercise (something I have to work on!)

Lorelei
    (313/288/282 first 10% goal)
  • count me in
    I'm also a calorie counter who combines it with the Zone principles (hi Lisa Sue!). Lately, I've been aiming for around 1200-1400 per day, which is all my body can take and still continue to lose weight. It is so easy for me to eat 1800-2000 a day, but I can't lose eating that many calories (doggonit!). I'm 5'5" tall, and a size 11/12 trying to get back into a 7/8.

I walk briskly for an hour, 3-4 times a week, and now that the weather is getting nicer, may bump it to 5 times a week. I drink anywhere from 64 - 96 ounces of water per day.

I used to use FitDay, but got out of the habit. :-P I spend so much time on the computer for work and for school, that I've gone back to the ol' paper notepad for tracking calories. For me, I eat as little as possible during the morning (just enough to get the metabolism going) and eat about 4-500 calories for lunch and dinner. This leaves me a little bit for a small afternoon and evening snack, which I really seem to need, especially since I am often up until 11-12 or so studying.
    I realize this goes against popular thinking, but it is what works for me and my lifestyle.

I would love to continue this thread - hope we do!

Sabrina
    171.5/159/135?
  • Hi everyone:

Sabrina, I think you and I are pretty much the same size here, 12's are slightly looser and 10's...well, not there yet. I'm 5' 8 1/2" (gotta keep that 1/2 inch ).
    Hubby went to the Drs. today and he's lost 7 lbs. so far (in almost 3 weeks) and he asked his (our) Dr. what would be my max. calorie intake (hubby, wonderful man told the Dr. that I'm 5'6" ????? was it his last wife that was smaller? anyhow, with that to go on, he said that I only weighed 146 (bless his heart), so my max. intake should be 1400! Boy was I angry! He's 6'6" and his intake should be 2500 and whaaaaaat am I supposed to do with this measily 1400 cal. starve? I've been doing fine with 1500 to 1700 and I vary it day to day, only by 200 calories ... hoping the matabolism cannot get used to one set calorie intake per day!

Lorelei: I think I'll do what you're doing, stay on the certain no. of calories until no more weight loss and then drop the calorie intake down some. I don't want my body getting used to a lower amount and then when I do eat more, I'll just pack it on.

I for one, would love to keep this thread going also. Will do that and do the weigh ins, calorie counts and exercise as well.

Take care
  • Calorie levels
    Since I exercise a LOT, I usually take in about 1500-1800 calories a day, otherwise I get very lightheaded!

Generally, I hit the gym for about two hours six mornings a week. As soon as our weather here gets a bit stabilized, I'm going to start riding my bike on weekends and after work (don't you just love it when the days are longer??).

Many times I'm tempted to reduce my calories and 'rev up' my slooooow weight loss. However - I know from experience that if I'm not eating enough, I'll just end up binging!
  • Good evening girls!!
    I agree lets keep this thread going... for a while anyways till we get really busy doing our summer workouts outside.........

Today I've had 1475 cals and 21 gms fat.....not bad at all and I'm pleased.....

I exercise regularly too.... go to to the gym do weights about 45 mins 5 mornings/wk and walk an hour every evening... Lately nothing seems to work for me.... I'm good for about 2 weeks then I'm bad for 2 weeks and put on the 2 or 3 lbs that I've lost....... I'm getting quite discouraged....The reason I'm overeating in those 2 weeks is that I'm PMSing..... and I really don't eat that much junk... altho I do, but I just seem to overeat in everything.... whether it be too many fruits or whole wheat pasta or whatever... Like we've all been saying. a calorie is a calorie is a CALORIE!!! so even if it is good healthy food too much is too much... Anyways any suggestions guys?? It seems that if I could get over the PMS period I would have it made, but I cannot remember the last time that has happened....It's been years
    I've lost 5 lbs since January...

In the summer I roller blade and bike every single day and go to the gym for weights.....Love my weight training....

Hope everyone has had a good day....

Lana...........

165;160.........................whenever I get there.............................135....
  • Lanaii
    If only we knew the secret about controlling pmsing. I'm sure that none of us would be here. Of course that is an exagerated statement but I just don't know the secret. I have been fallowing my diet now for three months and am losing slowly but even though I feel I have a good grip on cravings and portion control and eating the right kinds of foods (less bread and more vegetables) I still run into those feelings once a month for a milkyway midnight bar (I want one of these every day for about a week). I actually have to stay away from stores that have them and make sure that the grocery line I am standing in does not have them in the candy rack right there because my will power is down to zero at that time of the month. I am convinced that for me I just must deal with this every month and suffer so to speak.

179/166/145
  • Glad to know there are others out there like me. Just finding out that you guys are around has made me want to recommit to my calorie counting. Have been a little (OK a lot slack) on that lately. Hope to talk with you all more when I get a little more time, have to get ready for school. Good luck to us all!!!

Elaine

287/287/199 (first goal)