Old 05-01-2004, 11:46 AM   #1  
"workin' on my fitness"

Height: 5'10"

Default * ~ * ~ * Memorial Day Challenge * ~ * ~ *

Welcome to the fourth challenge for 2004! Whether you are a returning Challenge Chickie, or new to the group, welcome!

May is here, and with it comes warmer weather, more outdoor activity...and Memorial Day barbecues and picnics. Sleeveless shirts, shorts, tank tops, and gasp- right around the corner is bathing suit weather! Eeeek! Time to start firming up these parts while we're peeling off the pounds.

Whatever your program, whatever your fitness level, you can participate.
Post your goal for the month of May, and join us for support and encouragement. Anyone is welcome to join us- please, make yourself at home.

This Challenge thread is being set up as a place where we can all come to share our progress, our struggles, our triumphs, and to cheer on those who are committed to a healthier lifestyle, and to just talk!

Let the challenge begin!

Want a cool Memorial Day Challenge Avatar? Click here for several to choose from!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~
**Jennifer** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 11:56 AM   #2  
"workin' on my fitness"

Default My Memorial Day Challenge Goals

My Goals....

Food:
*Stay on plan
*Only deviances will be 1 work/birthday lunch 5/3 and 2 scheduled dinners out with hubby

Water:
*96 oz water before I leave work each day (4 24oz glasses)

Exercise:
*Every work day morning- minimum 1 mile WATP or 30 minutes on the bike
*Afternoon exercise- Upper body, lower body, resistance bands, or bike
*Weekends: 10 miles on the bike, minimum

Weight:
* a 10 pound loss is doable, if I stick to the program, and keep up the exercise.

I know I need the accountability or I will let the exercise slide, so I am making sure to partner with someone who will keep me focused on my goals, and not let me slack off.

Time to print these goals & leave them on the fridge, and my desk here at home, and one for my desk at work. Gotta have those constant reminders!
Old 05-01-2004, 01:00 PM   #3  
~Insane Java Turtle~

Default Count me in!

I'm in too, Chickies! And I had this post done once and POOF I hate when that happens.
But I wanted to first thank Jennifer for making these challenges look so great with her cool avatars and computer savvy. She's the coolest. Have you seen her #'s lately? Rockin Dragon! Good job.

My goals :

Food Staying on program with my own cross of WW (at home) and low fat/low cal. No garbage foods.

Water At least 72 ounces of water a day (three bottles) and if I drink more than that, well.....

Exercise At least five days a week (more than likey work days) and maybe bike rides on my days off. The goal is for fifteen minutes or one mile a day AT THE VERY LEAST. Again, going over that goal is all the better (I so hope I can go over that)

Journaling Every day, every thought, every victory, every failure, every morsel, every exercise, every whine and every excuse. Accountability, accountability,accountability, accountability, accountability!

Again, I'd like to thank Jennifer. Without her, I'd not be on these boards and I would not have lost ANY of this weight. You are awesome Chica.

I'm not going to preview this one. Lost the last one. Deal with the typos. LOL
Hotcupojava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 01:31 PM   #4  
motomom

S/C/G: 199/182/164

Height: 5'2"

Default Sat AM

Good morning chickies!
Jennifer...I am looking for the link so I can choose my avatars, because for some reason, the ones you sent me earlier were too big to use! So...please? Could you send me the link via email? Thanks chickie!

And thank you Jennifer for starting a new challenge. I'm feeling inspired..Have my goals in my head but need to get them organized and on paper, so here goes:

Goals for May/Memorial Day Challenge:
1.) Exercise: Work Days mornings-30 minutes WATP or bike...I may try to get a TaeBo group going at work one afternoon a weekk...we shall see!
Work Days afternoons (either at work or when I get home)- toning routine
Weekends: Bike rides or Walks outside with family

2.) Food: Do whole month of May Food plan (this weekend) and stick to it! Simple!

3.) Journal: Daily...ditto on what Mary said...everything eaten, every emotion...good or bad! Write it down! It helps to stay accountable!

I know that I could have done so much better this last month just by following my goals...posting them

So there it is! I'm going to post and then make a copy for myself!

I have a personal challenge...let's see if we can all keep up with Jennifer as far as exercise and following food plan! Anyone else want to join me? That means we ALL have to be accountable!!!
hikein2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 08:31 PM   #5  
LucyKitty

Ello!! Of course I'm here.

Goals for this challenge:

Keep drinkin' that water (I'm at 80 oz/day and it's definitely helpful!)
Go from a size 14 to a size 12. (Should be doable! HALFWAY THERE!)
Work out at least 4 days per week
Keep daily calorie intake somewhere between 900 & 1050
Stop snacking after dinner (this is the hard one)
Hopefully lose 10 lbs (from 177 to 167)

SW - 235
CW - 177
GW - 130
Total of 47 lbs to go!

Starting Size - 22
CS - 13/14
GS - 9/10

Not too much further to go!!
WOOHOO!!
lameducklucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 12:46 PM   #6  
~Insane Java Turtle~

Default How DEEEEEEEEEEE

Day two OP! Whoooo hoooo. Okay, I've got to celebrate the little victories, (there aren't always big uns). I did my mile on the dreadmill And I'm starting my last bottle of water. Food was strange, but OP. I fixed a weird salad of two cans of tuna, one can of kidney beans, four eggs and Miracle Whip Lite. It's just one dish, but I'm eating it for all my meals today. I eat like a bachelor. Practically out of the can, standing over the sink.

My treadmill is sort of new and the miles are low on it. I noticed it's nearing ten (that's not completely accurate because my Pooh Bear had to take it apart to fix it once already) but it would have made my walk 1 1/2 miles at once, if I tried to make it to ten all at once. I wasn't up to that just yet. But, I think before bed, I'll get back on just long enough to make it an even ten miles. That way it'll always be on the mile.

I missed getting to talk to my buddy the Dragon (Jennifer) this morning. Turtles and Dragons, sounds like an online game, eh? But I think she was going out to lunch with the hubby and to look at property or houses or something exciting. The most exciting thing I did today was cleaning the turtle's water dish. Hmmmm.

Well, just a little more time to play before bedtime for the Java Turtle.

I need to get some rest because tomorrow (at 1000 hours) I have to call and tell them whether or not I accept the job offer. I'm so nervous, scared, apprehensive and excited all at the same time. As long as we can resolve the question on the salary thing, I think I'm going to accept. It's scary leaving a job you've been at for twelve years. But when I think about it, that job is leaving ME, not the other way around. You'll be okay Java... chinS up. Tee hee. Chins... you so bad!
Hotcupojava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 02:56 PM   #7  
motomom

Default Sunday Check in

Today has been ok food wise! I had a small piece of chocolate type cake at church today but I counted it toward my plan! So far, the rest has been on target.
Quick Breakfast-Zone Bar & water
Lunch: 1/2 Flatbread, 3 oz. deli ham, cheese, onions & spinach and a touch of honey mustard! YUMMY!
Snack: 1 slice whole grain bread, 1/4 cup chicken salad w/pecans
Supper...no idea! My plans of sitting down to write my menus went through the roof today. But it's on my agenda for tomorrow!

Instead of formal workout today, (sometimes we have to make sacrifices...life gets in the way, you know! ) I am painting some trim on windows to get the room ready for our new mattress tomorrow. I want to sleep in my new bed tomorrow night, so tomorrow I am going to paint as well!

Yesterday, no formal workout, but plenty of shopping, cleaning and up and down 3 flights of steps for laundry! I think I must have done 6 loads (washed, dried, folded AND put away) yesterday! ARGH! My house was clean by 2pm so we could go shopping for new comforter for the new bed. Didn't find one, but did find a Sports Bra (which I needed badly!) Go figure! Got the grocery shopping done and home in time to watch a movie with hubby ("Stuck on You"). Cute movie!

Mary...sounds like you are doing awesome, chickie! Keep up the good work and you will be kicking MY a**!!!! I better watch out! You want to join me in challening Ms. Jennifer (AKA Dragon or Bike Hussy or fearless leader...the list goes on!) and see if we can at least keep up with her exercise regime??? Maybe? Let me know! I am going to try to do it! She amazes me with her motivation, eh? Shhhhhh...we don't want her to know we are talking about her this way or her head will just grow!!! She already has too many brain cells! Anyway...good luck with the job negotiations! I'm sure things will work out the way they should! Fingers and toes crossed for ya, chickie!

Lucy...goals look good! I'd up the calorie intake in the form of some protein with all that exercise you do, you need it! Don't want you keeling over on us!

Where the heck is everyone else??? Get your posts on here, chickies!~
Old 05-02-2004, 07:35 PM   #8  

Ok I want to be in too. THis is Janie I don't know if I'm typing in the correct place or not! We are leaving for Cancun May 31st so this is the perfect thing for me to be doing. I really want to buy some sexy stuff to take with me & not in a Fat size! Ok I am going to set my goals.
EXERCISE: Keep doing my body flex bar everymorning.
After work do the Firm 3 times a week & walk everyday!
Water: I drink a lot of it but I would like to keep track this month.
Food: Stick with my 1200 calorie plan because itis working! NEVER go over that plan for this whole month!
Journal: I've done well with the food & wt journal but not my exercise journal so I MUST get better at this.
Janiepeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 09:20 PM   #9  
motomom

Default Welcome Janie

Janie! So glad you found this! Yea! You goals sound great! This is a great place to journal everything...all at once! Just get it all out there and then you are accountable to all of us.

Cancun sounds great! Do you have room in your suitcase for one more fat chick??? LOL! REally wish I were going, but my goal is to be able to wear my new sexy swimsuit in public without feeling embarrassed. So this month I am shooting for 8 lbs! That will definately help!

Question: What is a Flex Bar? I am going to get the Pilates video (on sale) at the local store tomorrow! Can't wait to get started on that one!

I'm off to work on my monthly food plan! I must have this done by Tuesday morning...at the very latest! My sink is full of dishes, but they can wait til morning. I get to sleep in my DD's bed tonight as ours has been dismantled! Hers is a twin but VERY comfortable. Hubby is opting for the basement spare bed!

Night all!
Old 05-03-2004, 06:34 AM   #10  
Work in Progress

Hello,
I know it is day 3 but can I hop in?
My goals this month is to commit to myself and take action!! instead of just "typing" about it!
GW 249# ( a 6 #loss)
STay OP ( I eat lo- carb)
And begin a w/o program
1fralick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 09:17 AM   #11  
"workin' on my fitness"

Smile Good Morning, chickies!

Good Morning, everyone, and Happy May!

Wow- I didn't realize how much I'd miss this site over the weekend! we were soooo busy- you'll never believe how the weekend fell apart, but I'll explain later.

Mary- blush! I wouldn't be able to do this without my chickies- you all keep me motivated- I feel like if I went off track I'd be letting you all down, and if I can't do it myself, how can I expect anyone else to stay on their programs, ya know? Goals look great girlfriend, and way to go on 2 OP days- Excellent- you rock, girl!

Julie- check your email for the pics you requested- each should fit- I made them especially for this. And you & Mary are going to give me an inflated ego if you keep this up! LOL. Goals look great, too- awesome. And that poor little one- did you kick her out of bed?

Lucy- good to have you with us again- you are getting so much closer. With all that muscle you're building, I wouldn't be surprised if you get to 150 and fir into those 9s. LucyHardbodyKitty, coming right your way!

Janie- Welcome! Good to see some new faces joining us. Your goals look good. Cancun! I'm jealous! Can we stow away & go with you? You'll have to come back & tell us what a great time you had!

1fralick- Welcome! Of course it's never too late to jump in. I just wanted to get this up before my weekend fell apart. Goals look good. Welcome to the group!

If I do say so myself, this is an amazing group of chickies- I would not be able to do what I'm doing without them. They are all so supportive and caring, but will kick me in the tush when I need it!

Let the challenge begin!
Old 05-03-2004, 09:58 AM   #12  
"workin' on my fitness"

Default Weekend from heck!

What a weekend! I'm finally catching up, and I'm still exhausted.

Saturday we had plans to go to lunch, and since we couldn't get in to see any of the houses or lots that we were looking for, we said we'd postpone & do it all on Sunday. We did a bunch of laundry on Saturday.

Sunday, I skipped breakfast, knowing we were going to go to PF Changs for lunch. When we left the house around 11:30, I figured we'd have lunch first, then look at the things we needed to. Hubby decided otherwise, thinking that we'd hit the lunch rush, so we should go look at the few houses, then the vacant lots, and then hit PF Changs on the way back.

Ok, not a huge issue. I had 3 starlight mints that I sucked on during that time. But that's where things take a turn for crazy.

We stopped at the model home for the builder that we're interested in. Find out that the cost of the house has gone up another 10K in the last week, so if we are going to do this, we need to do it NOW. The sales rep at the builder helps us pull other land listings in that area, and there's a 1 acre lot that is listed well below the others, and they are taking offers until 5pm Sunday, by fax. Now by this time, it's 3:45, we drive out to check the lot out, it looks good- not my first choice, but still a good location, and call the realtor at 4:26. Then we call the builder, who offers to let us fax a contract from their office. Of course, we don't have a contract with us- they make us a copy of theirs. Scramble to write a contract in 10 minutes, throw it together, make an offer, and fax it off at 4:51.

We left the builder at 5pm as they were closing up, and that's when hubby said we should let PF Changs go until next weekend. I figured that meant we'd go to a restaurant in the area then, and stop for dinner, since the last thing I had to eat was at 7pm on Saturday, and those 3 stupid mints. Not so....because of the mad dash to get a contract together, hubby was all stressed out, and "wasn't hungry" and "didn't feel like eating." Now, here I am, haven't had anything, and getting that nauseous feeling, and the headache. I'm ticked off that because he's stressed, he could care less. Then, he offers me Burger King. I get pissed and tell him just get me a diet coke in the drive thru since I'm nauseous. He can see I'm ticked, and I didn't want to get into it. So that really sets the whole thing off. When we get closer to home, he asks if I want him to pick up something from Chili's or Applebees. Nope- now that it's been 24 hours since I've eaten, anything I put in is going to cause a problem.

Dinner last night was 1 can of chickarina soup, and 1 of my premade lunches- 2 meatballs and 3/4 cup bowtie pasta. I was so dehydrated, too, since I hadn't had anything until the diet coke in the car, and an hour ride back. Not the way I had planned the weekend, and of course, since I was dehydrated, I'm now retaining water and puffy. Great. Grrr.

Then since I ate so late, I was all hyped up all night- at 1-something in the morning I was still tossing & turning, so I overslept this morning & got up at 7. Ugh- Day 3 in the challenge & already missed a morning exercise. I'll have to make up for it this afternoon. Bleah!

Today is my Shadow's birthday- so 4 of us are going out to lunch with her. I don't know where she wants to go, but needless to say, it's not going to be the best choice. So for breakfast, I had 1/3 cup of Smart Start, and 12oz of diet coke. Starting on my water now, and hoping that whatever she picks for lunch, I can do a very safe option.

I'll check in later & let you know what I had- that's all going to determine what I do for dinner, and afternoon exercise. Wish me luck!

Have a great Monday, chickies!
Old 05-03-2004, 11:55 AM   #13  
lakester

Default Happy to join the challenge!

I really need a boost right now and this should be just the thing to get me motivated.
My Goals:
loose 5 pounds before I fly home (5/30)
workout a minimum of 5 days/week
keep under maximum calories allowed even on weekends!
drink at least 64 ounces of water everyday
NO Candy! at all!!!!
don't kill anybody while on this challenge
Keep my honest ladies, chocolate talks to me!!!
lakester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 12:30 PM   #14  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Hey chickies! Count me in! I had already set up a personal challenge for myself this month, so I figured I might as well make it public!
May 29th is my 24th birthday, and I just want to drop 5 more pounds before then, which would put me at 217--solidly into the next "decade" of pounds. I haven't weighed that little since my freshman year of college when I had the doc put me on weight loss pills. And the wonderful part is that this time I'm doing it all by myself, no medical assistance required.

My goals are as follows:
1. At least 30 minutes of cardio 4-5 times per week (2 days on/1 day off)
2. Strength train 3-4 times per week (every other day)
3. Yoga or pilates whenever I can
4. Eat 3 balanced meals per day
5. NO snacking!
6. As much water as possible!
7. Add more veggies to my diet
8. Less than 1700 calories per day
9. Journal every day

If I stick to that I should have no problem dropping those 5 pounds. Putting all of those things together adds up to sure-fire success. There's no way I can't do this.

~Elisha
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:15 PM   #15  
"workin' on my fitness"

Thumbs up Afternoon update

Welcome, Lakester and Miss Elisha!

Lakester- goals look really good. What are you planning or thinking about as far as exercise? I hear ya as far as the chocolate talking to you- I swear, I can hear milano cookies calling me from 3 houses down!

Miss Elisha- everything looks great- with a plan like that, and the great chickies here, you definitely have all the tools for success! And Happy Impending Birthday! And to be taking control now, before you start feeling the effects of excess weight, plus age...excellent, chickie. Kudos to you!

Lunch wasn't a disaster- of course, my shadow chose Olive Garden. Their breadsticks are my achilles heel. My lunch wasn't bad- considering I had so little yesterday (not by choice!) and I restricted breakfast to compensate for today, I think I did well. I had the 2 smallest breadsticks in the basket, 1/2 the bowl of pasta & fagioli soup, and went with the chicken fettucine. I did scrape most of the alfredo sauce off, and left a little of the pasta and ate all the chicken breast. Diet coke, because their iced tea is flavored, and crappy.

Tonight, dinner will probably be something simple, like soup. Gotta get my WATP in now, for sure, and the resistance bands work. And flood myself with water today to make sure I'm not going to keep this puffiness.

Hope everyone is having a good afternoon!