major life change..

• Hi,

I'm sorry I've been missing. I haven't been doing very well with food lately (though I have kept up exercise) I'm hovering around 199, but can't get under it. I keep yo-yoing the same three-five pounds.

Anyway, I have quit my job, and have decided to return to school. I am totally burned out of doing customer service work, and hated the company I was working for. I couldn't stomach the thought of starting over do the same kind of work at another place either.

After a lot of thought and some reserach, I've decided to go back to school. I'm checking into a physical therapy assistant program at a local community college. I'm meeting with the director of the program on Tuesday. It's a two year program, but I have about all the general education requirements since I already have a bachelor's degree.

I've been interested in the health field, and there are plenty of jobs. There are five hospitals and tons of doctors offices within thirty minutes of my house. I'm looking forward to learning something new and helping people feel better through exercise. I just hope I can handle school, because it's been a long time since I've studied anything. I feel like customer service work has rotted my brain!

I'm going to do some temp work until school starts in September. I hope to have more time to spend with Matthew this way. I'm worried about fitting in schoolwork, but hope it will all work out.

If anyone works in this profession, any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks for listening,
    Sherry
  • Congrats on having the courage to change your life for the better! I'm so glad you're doing this for yourself!
  • How wonderful to see you back! And with such exciting news. My friend is a physical therapist, but she started back in the days when you only needed a Bachelor's degree rather than a Master's. Hey, a Master's degree can be only two years of school, and you've already got your Bachelor's--of course, it's two years of very expensive school. I think you're on the right track going into the health care industry. As the Boomers age, we're going to need a lot more health care people, and I'm betting Physical Therapy Assistant would be a great career. Usually people who get physical therapy really want it so you aren't always dealing with confrontational people like you probably were in customer service.

That's great that with all the stress you've managed to stay below 200--congratulations!
  • Congrats in making a life change! Change is a wonderful thing, also confusing and scarey too! But have faith....I am sure it will be a good move. I am glad that you took the inititive to stop working day in and day out in a job that made you miserable.
  • Just a quick "way to go" for deciding to go after something you really want! Sounds like a fulfilling and rewarding career choice - good luck with your studies!
  • That is so cool! As I've always said: the bigger the risk, the bigger the reward !

I currently work in customer service for a medical insurance company (no body is ever happy to call us!) I know how you are feeling - you get burned out when you have to be so nice all the time. We have to act completely the opposite of governement workers! (ie.... the INS!)

Congrats on the move. How long do you think it will take you since you will already have some courses under your belt?
  • Wow! That's a courageous decision! I'm in admiration. Best of luck.

Jeanne
  • Good to see you round here Sherry! Congrats on maintaining the exercise and weight (3-5 pound fluctation IS maintaining!).

Brave decision....Good for you! Scary going back to school - but I am sure you'll do great! You've done it before, plus now you have the added motivation of knowing what you want career-wise!

Check in with us and let us know how it goes! There are lots of people around here who are, or recently were students who will have all sorts of helpful advice on dealing with eating around stressful exam/paper times.
  • Congratulations!!

How wonderful that you took an objective inventory of your life and decided that you didn't like what was happening and decided to change it!! Good for you!!! ANd what's even more impressive is that you decision to go back to school is not the easy one.

I know you can do it!!

Even though you'll be busy, I hope you continue to visit us!!!

ANd staying around 199 is great!! Just keep it up!!

Love Ya!