Old 03-29-2004, 02:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Default What's helping you lose weight...Whats your FAVORITE recipe?

What's helping you loose your weight?? I am looking for some other dinner ideas... I have circulated twice through what I already have so I thought a cool way to get a mini-cookbook together(specifically from our group since we all have about the same weight loss goals) is to have everyone submit one FAVORITE recipe with nutritional info.. Then, we can all use them!!

Here's mine:

Low Fat Low Cal Meatloaf (It is EXCELLENT)

1lb 99% fat free fresh ground turkey breast
1/2 cup eggbeaters
2 pieces low carb whole wheat bread (cubed)
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp beef bullion powder
1 meduim sized onion (chopped)
4 pieces fat free cheese
1 dash of garlic powder
1 dash of your favorite seasoned salt ( I use All Mixed Up Crazy Salt)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Combine all of the above except for cheese-- this will be used later.

After all ingredients are combined, spread half of the mixture in a glass bread pan. Place 2 slices of cheese then layer with the rest of the mixture placing the last 2 slices of cheese on the top. Cover with foil, cook for 35 minutes, remove foil and cook for 10 additional minutes.

This is excellent and the beef bullion really hides the turkey taste. It tastes just like the "fattening" meatlof but much much better for you.

Nutritional Info:

4 servings:

211 calories/ 2 grams of fat per serving

I can't wait to get your FAVORITE recipe!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 04:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Laughing Cow Chicken

Pound a chicken breast. Spread a wedge of Laughing Cow Light cheese on it, put a slice of ham on it, then roll it up and dredge in some Shake 'n Bake. Bake until done. Since I'm on Weight Watchers, it's 5 WW points, I believe. Easy, fast, and good!

Parmesan Fish--even my fish-hating DH likes this

Sprinkle some mild-flavored fish (sole, for example) with lemon and broil. Mix non-fat or low-fat may with grated Parmesan, some hot sauce, green onions and light butter. Put on the fish and broil until lightly brown. It's 4 or 5 pts. depending on the size of the fish.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 07:36 PM   #3  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Chili Chicken & Rice

(How much to make is up to you, ie how many ppl you need to feed, etc.)

Cook brown rice as per pkg directions. Mix in chili powder, and about a tablespoon of butter/trans-fat free margarine.

Boneless skinless chicken breasts (fresh have less salt--the ones frozen that come in a big bag are soaked in brine before freezing), you can cook these any way you like, George Foreman grill, microwave, baked, etc. BUT before cooking them, sprinkle a healthy amount of chili powder on each side.

Serve w/the rice & a side of green beans, broccoli, spinach, etc, whatever veggie you like. I eat this about twice a week for dinner. You can substitute the chicken for lean beef, pork, turkey, shrimps, whatever.

What has helped me the most recently is eating breakfast:

1 bowl/plate (a plate that can hold a little bit of water)
2 eggs

Put small amount of water in microwave-safe plate. Crack eggs into plate. Poke the yolks w/a fork. Sprinkle w/seasoning (I like McCormick's Salt-Free Garlic Herb seasoning), and put in the microwave for about 3 minutes if you like the yolks done, less time if you like them runny. Sometimes I sprinkle a little Parmesan cheese over them before cooking, too.

Last edited by SuchAPrettyFace; 01-03-2006 at 12:32 AM. Reason: platebowl. bowlplate. bah.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 11:36 PM   #4  
Live for the Moment!

Low Fat Chicken Caccitore ( I created this one)

2 or 3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
1 Green Pepper
1 Cup of Sliced Fresh Mushrooms
1 diced small Onion
Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon of Sugar
1 Capful of White Vinegar
1 Jar of Healthy Tomatoe Sauce (whatever flavor you like best)
Whole Wheat Angel Hair Pasta

Slice chicken and cook in large skillet with PAM Cooking Spray. Once chicken is cooked, add sliced peppers, onions & mushrooms. Let cook. Add tomatoe sauce, vinegar, sugar, and spices/herbs to taste (I use garlic, basil, pepper). Let simmer for 20-30 mins, stirring occasionally. Serve on bed of Whole Wheat Angel Hair Pasta with some low-fat parmesan or mozzarella on top.

This freezes great too.. I always make enough for leftovers and freeze individually for a quick meal or lunch.

Cheers,
Celina
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 11:41 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

here's my favorite: you take a bag of hershey's dark chocolate nuggets with almonds, and hide them in your bedroom..

ooopssss.. not that recipe..

how about my favorite stuffed chicken breasts??? ok... here goes. and apologies, i have no idea what the calories are, but since it's lean chicken, veggies, and very little fat, it shouldn't be too bad.

pound 6-8 half chicken cutlets until they're less than 1/4 inch thick.

defrost a package of chopped spinach, and squeeze all the water out of it.

saute about 1/4 c finely chopped onion and a little garlic in the tiniest little bit of olive oil. do it slowly so that everything softens.

add about 1/2 c finely chopped mushrooms, turn up the heat, and saute quickly, making sure all the water from the mushrooms evaporates.

mix in the spinach, and add a couple of gratings [or shakes] of nutmeg, and a little salt/pepper to taste.

at this point, you can use it as is. OR you can let it cool and then beat in an egg [helps the mixture hold together, but it's not essential] or some crumbled feta cheese. or ricotta salata. or a couple of tablespoons of ricotta and romano... or not.

whatever you decide.. divide the mixture evenly among the chicken breasts, and then roll them up tightly. fasten with toothpicks.

arrange them seam side down in a baking dish. pour some white wine [or chicken broth or water] into the pan, about 1/4 - 1/2 inch of liquid]. and then top with salt/pepper and some sliced tomatoes.

bake at 350 for about 1/2 hour, or until the chicken is done.

it's REALLY REALLY GOOD, even if you don't use anythning other than the spinach, onions, and mushrooms...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 07:13 PM   #6  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Okay, so I love barley! It's an awesome whole grain that is not just for soups!

Here's the basic recipe:

2 cups pearl barley
1 cup finely chopped onion
3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
81/2 cups (about) canned vegetable broth

Stir barley in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Transfer barley to bowl. Add onion and garlic with a splash of broth; sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add barley and stir to coat. Add 2 cups broth; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes. Mix in 2 1/2 cups broth and simmer until absorbed, stirring frequently. Add 3 cups broth and simmer until barley is tender and creamy but still slightly firm to bite, stirring frequently and adding more broth if mixture is dry, about 45 minutes.

Now add whatever you want.

I like to add:
2 cups drained canned diced tomatoes in juice
1/2 cup of roasted red peppers
1 cup of spinach leaves
or various freezer-burnt veggies.

Now, you can also dress it up!

Grill large portabello heads, stuff with barley mixture, sprinkled with feta cheese serve on a bed of arugula. YUM!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 10:04 AM   #7  

My latest thing is Cream of Broccoli Soup

Microwave approx. 1 cup of fresh broccoli until tender
Place in blender with one cup of skim milk
1tsp. (or to taste) Mrs. Dash garlic and Herb seasoning
1 tsp dry onion soup mix
salt/pepper to taste
Puree to fine then microwave for 1 minutes and Voila - nice, warm soup
Filling and full of phytochemicals and antioxidants. If you want more protein, add cottage cheese during the puree process.

Jiffy, you have such an incredible sense of humour! Heh, dark chocolate is also a good antioxidant but I think you can only have 1/4 of an ounce. Really, who could stop there? And almonds, well, they are a good source of healthy fat. So, hmmm.....maybe you are on to something?!?!? lol

Jenaya
Jenaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 01:42 PM   #8  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Smile 2 Faves

Ok, so these are two dishes that are a couple of mainstays in my diet. I love them; I think they're tasty, easy, cheap, and healthy -- and they stick to the ribs. They're both in line with my plan, so the carbs are low-GI, and they're high-protein, low-fat, low sodium, low cholesterol, and have a healthy protein percentage. FYI, One of them, the second one I eat all the time; people think sounds gross when I describe it to them, but when they taste it, they like it a lot. I lived in Italy for a few years, and both dishes are definitely Italian-influenced.

Ginger Penne with Garbanzo Beans, spinach, and Tuna

2 1/2 cups uncooked penne
1 can garbanzo beans, unsalted
2 pouches (NOT cans) Starkist albacore
5-6 heaping handfuls of fresh baby leaf spinach (I get those pre-washed bags)
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 tbsp. minced garlic (fresh is preferable to jarred, but jarred is just fine)
5 tbsp. minced ginger (fresh is ambrosia, and the jarred is conveniently found next to the garlic, usually in your produce section)
1 tsp garlic powder
black pepper to taste
I don't add salt because the tuna already adds a salty flavor, but if you have to, try to use a small amount of kosher salt; it contains less sodium, and it tastes saltier, so a little goes farther. Also, try to hold off adding it until you've had a chance to taste the unsalted finished product rather than assuming that you'll need it.

Cook the penne in unsalted water until it's cooked al dente; there should still be a bit of resistance when you cut it with your fork, and chewing should still be necessary in order to eat it! Drain it and toss it into a large bowl. Add the olive oil and lemon juice and gently stir to cover. Add the garlic, ginger, and pepper and stir again. Add well-drained can of garbanzo beans and the pouches of tuna UNDRAINED (just open 'em up and pour dump 'em in,) and a couple of handfuls of spinach, and turn them in gently. Keep adding the spinach a little at a time, till it's fully incorporated, adding more lemon juice as needed for moisture. At the end, taste it for salt, and then rethink the salt by adding additional ginger instead! (I'm on an anti-salt crusade!)

You can eat this heated, chilled, or at room temp. This batch should yield 6 servings. Each serving has 350 calories, 7.5 grams fat (1.42 saturated,) Carbs - 45.2 g (dietary fiber - 5.54,) Protein - 26.9 g. The breakdown is Carb 46%, Protein 35%, Fat 19%.

Brown Rice with Kidney Beans and Tuna

1/2 cup brown long grain rice
1 can kidney beans, unsalted
chicken broth, low-sodium and fat free
2 pouches (NOT cans) Starkist albacore tuna
1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp. minced fresh garlic
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cayenne pepper (to taste)
No salt is needed, since the chicken broth already has sodium, and the tuna is salty.

Cook the rice in the minced garlic and chicken broth. When it's done, add the garlic powder, kidney beans and tuna, and stir gently to combine ingredients. Once everything is combined, add the cayenne pepper as you like it; it really adds a lot to round out the flavors, so add as much as you like.

This is great hot. This recipe yields 4 servings, each with 299 calories, 2.53 g fat (.9 saturated,) Carbs - 36.2 (Dietary fiber 2.76,) Protein - 34.6 g. The breakdown is Carb 46%, Protein 46%, Fat 8%.

Hope you like these.....I have plenty more where these came from! (My culinary degree comes in handy sometimes!)
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:40 PM   #9  

Where's Julie's yummy chili recipe??!?!?!?!??!

Here's one from my mom from like 1978,

Yogurt Berry Pie

1 container (10 oz) frozen red raspberries, thawed
2/3 c sugar (or sugar substitute)
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1 carton (8 oz) vanilla yogurt (nonfat)
1 c sour cream (nonfat)
1 6 oz Keebler shortbread pie crust
whipped topping, optional

Drain raspberries, reserving juice; add enough water to juice to measure 2/3 c. In a saucepan, combine sugar & gelatin; add reserved liquid. Heat and stir until sugar & gelatin dissolve. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in yogurt & sour cream; Mix well. Stir in raspberries, pour into crust. Refrigerate until set, about 4 hours. Garnish w/whipped topping if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings
Old 04-07-2004, 02:21 PM   #10  

Ok you talked me into it Aimee:

2 lbs ground turkey
2 cans light red kidney beans, drained
2 green pepper
1 large onion
6 cloves garlic minced
1 TBS chili powder (more or less to your taste)
2 cans tomato paste
2 cans diced tomatos
4 cups V-8

Brown Garlic in a little olive oil, add ground turkey and cook thoroughly adding peppers and onion at the end and cook until just soft. Put into crockpot and add remaining ingredients and cook for about 5 hours, add salt and pepper to taste. Really good topped with some reduced fat chedder cheese and low fat sour cream. Yum!
dowsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 08:50 PM   #11  

Cheater's Tuna casserole

1 Lean Cuisine Mac & cheese meal (for each person you are serving)
1 3 oz can of tuna (for each person you are serving)
baby peas or broccoli, about 1/4 cup for each person you're serving

Nuke mac & cheese like it says to on box, drain tuna & pour a little water over peas in a custard cup. Nuke peas for about 60 seconds, then drain. Mix cooked mac & cheese, peas & drained tuna into casserole dish, Nuke for another 90 seconds.

Yum.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:44 AM   #12  

OK, here is a really easy recipe (everything I cook is really easy.....) for delicious spicy tomato and lentil soup:

Cook 1 finely chopped onion in a little bit of oil, or spray n fry, until soft.

Stir in 1 -2 crushed garlic gloves, fresh ginger, crushed cumin seeds, 1lb ripe chopped tomatoes (peeled and seeded if you're fussy that way!) and half a cup red split lentils. Cook over low heat for 3 to 4 mins.

Stir in 2 pints of stock and 1 tbsp tomato puree. Bring to boil, then simmer for half an hour until lentils are soft. Season. Puree in blender, reheat and serve.....garnish with swirl of low fat yogurt and some chopped parsley.

Enjoy!
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 02:33 PM   #13  
Abby's Mommy

Well... I dont really have very good recipies, but I have to say that Lean Cuisine meals save my life. They even have WW points listed on the box. WW meals arent that great, but the LC are really good! When my husband is at home ot eat Ill fix him an individual ammount of whatever he wants, then fix myself a LC, a big salad, and even a low point desert. I dont know...I just find them easier than trying to cook low points.
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 10:35 PM   #14  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Going through some of the old post and seen this. I Made this up this week and it was wonderful. I love playing around and coming up with new recipes. You can use low fat or no fat cheese and take a lot of the fat out. I just did not have any on hand.

Baked spaghetti squash
Makes 6 servings
335 calories 22 grams of fat per serving

1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried rosemary
1 clove garlic or to taste
1 habanera pepper, seeds removed. or with seeds if you like spice.
1 green pepper
8 oz shataki mushrooms
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 med size onion
2 spaghetti squash
4 Tbsps olive oil
8 oz bag frozen peeled/de-tailed shrimp (I used salad shrimp)
16 oz of favorite spaghetti sauce
1 cup of salsa

Punch holes all over squash and bake in baking dish for 1 hour at 375.
Take squash out of oven and let cool while you cook the rest.

Dice hot pepper into very small pieces. Dice onion pepper, mushrooms and add crushed garlic; and add in the hot pepper. Put all of this into frying pan with oil and cook on medium until onions and peppers are cooked down. Add in frozen bag of cooked shrimp and the rest of the spices and cook until shrimp are heated.

Now take squash cut it in half and remove seeds. Take a fork and start scraping the squash out. Mix squash and the other vegetables and shrimp. Cover the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish and pour sauce and salsa over the mixed vegetables. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 covered with foil. Remove foil and sprinkle cheese over top and cook for 10 to 15 more minutes and then serve.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:44 AM   #15  

Oh Howie that sounds positivly delicious! I am definatly going to have to try that one!!
dowsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote