HELP ...Need Your Opinions

• HI,
    I have been looking at the recipes on Atkins site that are suitable for Phase 1 and there are some great ideas but what is confusing me is that some of them seem to have things that arent on the acceptable list like the chocolate souffle which has unsweetened chocolate.
    what gives ? Do w just go strickly by the carb count and make sure we dont go over the 20 grams. Does anyone use the Bake Mix on induction?
    Id like to try some of these but dont want to risk impairing my weight loss .
    By the Way Im down 5 LBS this week.
  • Hi Van!

You may get some varied responses, but here's my personal opinion:

During Induction, STAY CLEAR of those things!!!!! Yes, the carbo limit is the focal point of the induction period, but it's also a detox period and a time during which you are breaking some of those nasty food addictions. By indulging in the sweet stuff, you're making it more difficult to make that break. That's just me, but I am a very strick induction person myself. (I wonder if that's why I dreamed I was a Krispy Kreme taking a swim in a pool full of milk -- NO KIDDING!!!!)

Great news on the 5 pounds! That's fabulous!
  • Unsweetened Chocolate is just that, unsweetened. It has no <added> sugar in it - and therefore while it does contain some carbs, it would be allowed on Atkins. And, it would have far fewer carbs than say, MILK chocolate...
  • I bought the bake mix to use occasionally while on induction. I use it sometimes to coat chicken or porkchops before cooking it. I have also used the atkins bake mix to make a batch of the pancakes to serve with the atkins syrup. Its okay once in awhile. I have now found that crushed porkrinds with some spices are much better and keep the meat moist. Much better and cheaper too. I know...you're saying what? crushed yuck?.....give it a try. If you need a sweet something.....make up a small amount of whip cream with splenda or whip the cream while adding a small amount of sf jello powder. It turns plain whip cream into a sort of 'mousse'. Other than that....stay clear of all other sugars.
  • I'm in the club that says the whole point of induction is to break our addiction to junk food and sweets.... take that however you like
  • Van, I'm in the do not eat anything that isn't on the list group too. I've been on induction for a few months and do not stray to terribly far from the list. I think low carb salsa is my only thing so far. I get stuck while on induction (I'm at the old fat now) so playing with the stuff that even tastes like carbs is a dead wish for me. I think it may be all in how your body responds to it some people can and some people can't. But I treat it like the advangtage bars and such: there is a place for it in my diet but not right now.

Tummy
  • The Atkins site treats induction differently than the books. I'm trying to save the chocolate stuff for when I REALLY need chocolate (as in--it's someone's life or death ). I've been on strict induction except for those times (which luckily hasn't been that often since I started this-and considering I used to eat chocolate EVERY day I've cut down TONS). It may be why I'm not losing more weight than I am (but I'll take the 2 pounds a week!!)

Congrats on the 5 pounds gone!!!
  • I'm only on my second day of induction this time, but I'm also pretty strict. I only stick to the allowed list, with really no extras. The last time I followed the program I lost 20 pounds in the first two weeks. Like lady_adnerb chocolate is only for life or death situations. I'm trying to eat healthier and by forcing myself to stick to the basics I'm doing that. Congratulations on the 5 lbs!
  • I actually think of it as 2 different 'inductions'. There's the induction where you stick strictly to the allowable list for at least 2 weeks. Then there's the induction where you vary your food a little more but still stay under 20 grams per day. I count myself in OWL because I eat nuts and very rarely some low carb fruit, but I don't increase my carb count every week and still generally stay around 20 grams per day.
  • Thanks everyone for your input.
    I too have been following the induction faithfully although I have had lite jello a few times but I rarely get to 15 grams a day.
    I was never really a big carb or sugar person before this and dont really miss any thing yet. I even stopped having sweetner in my 1 allowed morning coffee and dont miss it. I was having 3 sugar in an Xlarge coffee every morning before this . I think I like Princess's way of thinking and we know she is doing something RIGHT.That is how I think I am going to that route. I'm shopping tomorrow at Costco (ITs 2 hours away) and needed some ideas.of what to and not to buy. I have no intention of going over 20 carbs a day for quite a while yet. I do think I may buy the Bake Mix though. Hope everyone is having a good day and thanks again. You are all very inspiring and informative. STAY WARM EVERYONE!
    Brenda