Exactly how much is a serving of nuts?

• I know Dr. Agastan tells us how many nuts we can have, but he talks about nuts in a shell. I buy the dry roasted peanuts (no-salt) to use in my ricotta cheese. Is one serving an ounce? (I'm on phase 2 if that makes any difference.)
  • Oops, I forgot to include that I buy the nuts in a jar which are NOT in shells. Sorry.
  • NUTS (Limit to one serving per day as specified)
    Almonds - 15 (Dry roasted recommended)
    Brazil Nuts - 4
    Cashews - 15 (Dry roasted recommended)
    Pecans - 15 (Dry roasted recommended)
    Macadamia - 8 (Dry roasted recommended)
    Peanut Butter, Natural = 2 TBS
    Peanuts, 20 small (May use dry roasted or boiled)
    Pine Nuts (Pignolia) - 1 ounce
    Pistachios - 30 (Dry roasted recommended)
    Walnuts - 15 (Dry roasted recommended)

I guess you will have to count out the peanuts. 20 small is a serving. I think that would be an ounce.

In Good Carbs. Good Fats nuts are all one ounce servings.
  • Thank you Ruthxxx for the nut serving size. Did you get that originally from the "Big" SBD book or the "Good Carbs...." book? Is a serving of nuts allowed in Phase I, or do you wait to Phase II?
    Nuts are TOTALLY my downfall - I have really allowed myself to sabotage my progress. Back to watching my portion in that regard.
  • Thanks Ruth! I guess I'll buy a bag of shelled nuts and count them out.

SDMom, I believe they are allowed in phase 1 -- at least I ate them. Like you, they tend to be my downfall. I'm trying to buy them in small packages, about 2 ounces. That way if I lose control I haven't done much damage.
  • All the info is available here online in the FAQ section. If you really need to know carb counts, you will find the info in the Good Carb, Good Fat Guide.