Just (Re)Starting My Weight Loss Journey

• My dad was only ten years older than me when he had his heart attack. I'm not "technically" overweight, but I know I'm too heavy for my frame and need to get back into shape with my type II diabetes risk. I have a little YouTube channel to keep myself honest; I'm on a three day potato diet right now, and while I don't feel like it's netting any extra fat loss, I can tell it's helped shift the water weight and made exercise easier after only a day. I'm a 30-something mom of one, and I could use the support in finally getting off my *** and losing those last ten lbs. of "baby weight" (after three years, Jesus).
  • A diet where you only eat potatoes is a bad idea. You won't be getting enough fat or enough protein. You'll be missing out on many other essential nutrients as well. Why don't you just eat a normal balanced diet?
  • Potatoes are not popular in recent years (much as the egg used to be demonized in the dieting world), however, there are multiple reports that show it can work very well for those who have lots of potato eaters in their genetic ancestry line. People come from diverse genetic backgrounds, and one person's great eating plan can be not so good for another person. Organic potatoes also contain more diverse nutrition than most foods, gut-healing properties, and restore good bacteria. A brief mono food diet can work, and I've read many beneficial weight loss stories from folks who have lost much weight and regained health eating potatoes. I'm interested to hear how it works for you.
  • Long term, it's a terrible idea, and it doesn't yield a lot of fat loss over water loss, but I did lose a dress size. I found the egg diet much easier. I'm trying different fad diets, and honestly, it's a LOT of fun. I would totally recommend the potato diet for a quick weight loss to fit into a dress.

And Scarlit, I read a book that had a theory based on blood types, and while not 100%, I definitely think there's some validity.
  • Agree. Not 100% with the blood type theory, but the general concept that diverse people have found diverse plans that work for them makes sense to me. Every eating plan out there seems to have people who say it works for them and people who say it does not. There can't be just one plan for everyone...
  • Please be careful with the fad diets. I know...I know....

I'm an Old Biddy with years of fad diets in my past. When I was a teen and early twenties I did them all. Iceberg lettuce diet; cabbage diet; orange juice diet; egg diet...you name it. Most of these fad diets were around in my day.

I'm sure some people will come out unscathed, but I royally screwed up my body by doing these things. You'll not want to hear it from me, but slow and steady wins the race, with attention to complete nutrition, portion sizes and exercise that will work with your body and schedule. I mean this in all kindness, of course. Your skin, bones and overall health will thank you.
  • I appreciate that warning; there's a lot of truth to it, Biddy.

I just started on a three day trial of veganism. Thankfully, my B12 stores should be good after trying the egg diet. <.< I don't love it, but I'm grateful to have a family member with lots of vegan experience in the food industry.