Hello

• I'm new to this forum... just realized that maybe everyone here is female and maybe I shouldn't be here?? But I joined because I have a HUGE (literally) problem.

I was almost 410lbs earlier this year... I've now dropped to 360ish. So yes... it's a start. Problem is that I've been in the 360 range for about a month now. I can go 4-5 days in a row and never eat more than 1500 calories in a day and not lose a single pound. But, bless your little heart, if I have a cheat day and eat 3500 calories I can go up 2-3lbs overnight.

For my current weight, age, activity level, I 'SHOULD' have to eat 3500 calories a day just to maintain. IF I ate that much I know I would be back up to 400+ lbs again.

I've tried intermittent fasting, eating one meal a day only, eating 3 tiny meals in one day... not eating ANYTHING for 3 days. But yet nothing is happening. I KNOW when I go out in public people think I'm a pig and eat like a glutton. My wife is about 200lbs and eats almost identically to me.

I guess I'm not even sure there is an answer... maybe I just needed to talk... to let it out. I am sure if you are here in this 300+ lbs club, you are (maybe) in the same boat as me??

There is nothing worse than eating 1500 calories a day for 3-4 days (again.. at my size, age, gender and activity level) and getting on the scale and NOTHING has happened. All those hunger pains... they were for naught. I watched everyone else eating and drinking around me while I drink a can of Diet Pepsi and smile.... knowing that the next day nothing will have happened on the scale.

Again.. thanks for reading (if you did), I have NEVER talked to anyone (let alone a group of random people online) like this before. I really just needed to get this off my chest. In all honesty?? I think it's sending me into some form of depression... there are times I feel like I could break down and cry at any given moment.

Anyhow... thanks for reading/listening.
  • QwertyJuan

Why, Yes, many folks here are female. Some, including me, are male. You'll find males are welcome on all the threads. Look around and find forums that appeal to your interests and join right in.

And, by the by, Congrats on those fifty pounds gone. They can be gone forever with some work.
  • Hi Juan; I just joined this site too. I'm sorry it's been such a struggle .. I can well imagine how defeated you feel. I notice you mention calories in your post and have a suggestion. Low-carb might really work for you because you don't have to count calories. Just don't eat bread, pasta or sugar. Have eggs and bacon for breakfast, turkey with veggies for lunch, and some more protein with veggies at supper. There is a ton of stuff all over the internet on low-carb eating. I started years ago with a book I bought.

If you research this way of eating, you'll soon learn that low-carb only works if you put your body into a state of ketosis .. meaning you're staying on plan. Ketosis will mean your body burns fat instead of carbs for energy. Very short description of low-carb but honestly, I highly recommend. It's been known to help diabetics and even cancer patients.

We are all individuals that need to find what works for us, personally. But I hope you will give low-carb a good try because it might make you really happy. There's even low-carb forums where people at 400 pounds are now maintaining at 180.

I wish you the best and a happy journey forward.
  • for me getting through the "plateaus" is all about focusing on the non scale victories.

Example: Am I making healthier choices in general
    Example: Hitting my macros and logging my food all week - YAY!
    Example: Increasing my weight at the gym, and looking back what seemed heavy 6 months ago now feels like as a feather

Those kinds of things are what get me through the rough spots where the scale is less than cooperative. If you are eating healthfully, and making smart lifestyle choices those ARE things to celebrate. Yes we need/want to lose weight but just eating better and working out in a smart manner can improve health independant of weight loss and that is something to be celebrated. (And don't give up on the weight loss... it might take bringing some assistance in a dietician or a personal trainer). You have lost a LOT of weight already, enjoy being that much lighter and that much healthier.
  • Welcome. Hang in there. None of us have the best experiences with scales.
  • Hi!!)
  • doesnt matter keep goiing
  • I can well imagine how defeated you feel. I notice you mention calories in your post and have a suggestion. Low-carb might really work for you because you don't have to count calories. Just don't eat bread, pasta or sugar. Have eggs and bacon for breakfast, turkey with veggies for lunch, and some more protein with veggies at supper.
    Nox Vidmate VLC
  • Hi. I see this is an old post.

Welcome to the boards. You will get real live support here. I have lost 80 lbs. and have 80 more lbs. to lose. I am a female and want to weigh 130 lbs. for my height. I have been chronically obese for years. I used to have 52% BMI and now it is 38% BMI. At least it is moving in the right direction. Yes. I am in the same boat as you. In fact, many times I have been where you are right now. We both are at the same place. WE both have to lose a significant amount of weight to take it towards the finish line. It truly is doable. Please don’t stop. You’ve come too far! The answer is not to beat yourself up. The answer in the daily actions you take or don’t take. People in worse situations and heavier amounts have gotten all of their weight off, so can we!!! I am sorry you are in pain. I know it can be exhausting. Keep going! Hopefully he kept going. Take what you need and leave the rest. This may not be your cup of tea.

Just be honest with yourself and answer these questions on paper. You don’t need to tell me your answers. This is an exercise in problem solving. I do not know everything and do not have all the answers. Much of weight loss is a mental game where all of us need to start making it happen and stop making excuses.

· How is your water intake?

· How are your portions?

· What do you do for exercise? How long and often? Are you truly doing the most movement as you can without hurting yourself. Yes, push yourself just please don’t hurt yourself. Our body adjusts to the exercise in 6 weeks. Change it up.

· What is your rebuttal for every one of your excuses?

· Are you enjoying what you are eating? Are you enjoying exercise? Some people never enjoy exercise, but like the way exercise makes them feel. At this weight, walking and swimming aerobics are the best for a lot of weight. Let an exercise physiologist and doctor tell you what you are capable of...Please start slow.

· What do you do for self-care? How have you developed the habit of treating yourself like a VIP?

· How active are you around the house?

· What hobbies do you have instead of eating?

· Do you volunteer? How are you giving back to the world or community?

· What is your bucket list in once you lose the weight? Work on checking off your bucket list on the way to your goal weight.

· Learn about weightlifting. The library has weight lifting books. Proper form is key. Learn from a certified trainer.

· What is your “WHY?” list. Why do you want to lose weight? Read this when you wake up, before bed, and when you want to eat something that is not good for you.

· If you are honest, which of these actions do you need to work the most on? Where are you making the most excuses with yourself? Change that now. Your one life goes by so quickly.

List problem and then solution. Do this!!!!! Be a winner! Don’t let your addiction kill you.

We either need to eat less and/or move more. Sometimes adding more healthy calories is the answer. See what works best and is the healthiest for our bodies and longevity. Definitely I would suspect drinking up to 10 glasses of water, exercising daily on You Tube (exercises for obese people), and staying within your calorie count will get you where you need to be. Keep pushing yourself sensibly. Hopefully something I said got you thinking as far as solving your problem. I have full confidence that you can lose the weight. You have to pull that person out of yourself. You can be as disciplined and consistent to take you to your dream body and keep moving up levels. Start small and focus on gaining mental and physical strength, not just scale weight.

I am proud of you thus far…it is a pain whichever way you decide. Good luck. Look forward to hearing from you (the reader). No more boo Hoo. Focus on becoming the bad*** you really are! =) Good luck! You owe yourself to be in a fit, healthy body rocking your life. Go for it! No one is holding you back except you. I think everyone needs to pick things that work for them for the long-term. Is it realistic and sustainable?

Out of the 4,195 people that have viewed this post, 5% make it to success. That is a total of 210 people roughly out of all of those readers. Amazing.

The biggest question to ask yourself is your level of commitment? Are you giving all that you have? All transformations are based off yourself working hard and consistency. What are you willing to give up to have a new life? You owe it to yourself. It is up to us individually whether we win or lose. This is doable. Simple? Yes. Easy? No.

What is your answer for yourself? Will you regret not taking action if you don't? Best of luck. Try buying back your health once it is gone. Take care.

I am proud of you thus far…it is a pain whichever way you decide. Look forward to hearing from you (the reader). No more Boo Hoo. Focus on becoming the bad*** you really are! =) You owe yourself to be in a fit, healthy body rocking your life. Go for it! No one is holding you back except you. I think everyone needs to pick things that work for them for the long-term. Is it realistic and sustainable for you? Only you can decide. At the end of the day, you choose to overcome this or let your addiction get the best of you with severe health consequences.