newbie here

• hi everyone! just started ideal protein today. I have found it too be way too much food. anyone else have this problem? I only was able to eat half my dinner and I've only had 2 packets of food today. my coach told me I should be eating 5 a day. I guess this is better than being hungry!
  • Hi nikishalicki,

to 3FC! Congratulations on your first day of IP!

I'm not up-to-date on the plan & it may have changed, but it was 3 packets a day & a serving of regular protein in 2013 and again when I rebooted in ?2017.
    I suggest you contact Ideal Protein corporate directly and confirm you should be eating 5 packets. There are some coaches out there who alter the plan in order to sell more packets. I hope you have a great coach, though, and wish you all the best on the program.
  • it was because of my weight that it was so many packets. she told me one i am under 300lbs i go down to 4 packets. I'm on day 3 now and still haven't been able to eat more than 3 packets and am struggling to get through my lunch today. I don't want to get sick forcing myself to eat all the food. but I know eating what I'm supposed to is important for it to work. everything I have read people are more hungry the first week.
  • nikishalicki Thanks for updating--I'm so glad to hear your coach is on the up & up! There is a lot of variability with how people react, especially during the first week, and it's such a big transition. I'm not a coach but maybe the first week do the best you can. Better yet, check in with your coach. She may re-assure you that 3 packets are ok for now, or have something to suggest.

In my own experience & reading the 3FC IP threads a few yrs back, having too few calories results in slower weight loss. But as you said, it isn't sustainable to make yourself sick forcing yourself to eat the food. it might be that this works for you, or maybe next week you will be hungrier. (I'm assuming it's not because you don't like the IP food). Are there any packets you find especially appealing so far? You might be able to get them all in by using one as coffee/tea creamer & another as a beverage to sip throughout the day (I think there are a few that lend themselves?).

I hope you keep posting.
  • The best tip I can give is to set your meal times. If you stick to the same window of time each day then your body will 1. have a pattern that it can work to in producing ketones for your need (not excess or too little) and 2. you will maintain your ghrelin/leptin (hunger/satiation) responses. The latter is very important, as some of the more recent tests concerning ketosis have shown that some people lose the leptin response over time.

If you can't eat all of your meals, then make sure you are taking on board other proteins. Blitz some nuts and add them to shakes, or a cube of cheese every hour or so. Protein is the most important macro on this diet. Without it, you will lose not only the muscles for your skeletal frame, but also the heart walls. Skip carbs if you must, but never skip protein. Aim for half of your body weight (in pounds) as grams of lean protein.

in the first week, your system feels a little wacky, but it will pass.
  • that is super helpful to know. I was wondering if the protein or the veggies were more important. I just don't think I'm used to eating anywhere near this many veggies. and they are very very filling along with the extra water I'm drinking and the supplements. I also should mention i had gastric bypass 15 yrs ago(yes my coach is aware) but before this I was back to eating normal which is how I gained all the weight back plus more.

she has me on the alternative plan for the first 2 weeks. I'm doing the best I can this week and keeping a journal besides the food journal so i don't forget anything. and maybe talk to her about cutting the extras the alternative plan has if it's too much.

as far as the food not being appealing. there's a couple things I wasnt a fan of and think next week I want to try different things than what I got. but I ate everything of the packets. if anyone had any suggestions for flavoring the broccoli soup I'm all ears or just a different use for it.

I'm so glad I found this forum along with a few YouTube channels for recipies!!
  • Is it plain broccoli soup or broccoli with cheese soup? just curious because at first I didn't care for the latter, but later it became my go-to. I found the soups worked best as a gravy over vegetables. Btw, you'll be surprised as you go along that your taste buds will change.

I liked this cookbook a lot https://www.janevasidealrecipes.com

The recipes are good--some are scrumptious. And the book is user-friendly: you can search recipes by packet, or go through the table of contents by type--entree, dessert, etc. There are also non-packet recipes. I wish there had been more single serving recipes as I don't like to have leftovers calling out to me from the refrigerator Most are double (or more) servings. Here's a link to look it over if you like: It's still 35.00 (I bought mine 2 or 3 yrs ago).
    They sometimes sell it in the offices.

The protein packets lend themselves to baking muffins, e.g. zucchini muffins, or shakes into which you can throw some spinach.

You may be able to get hooked up with IP videos from their website--something to request from your coach.

Here is where all the recipe threads are. There are tons, and I never did search through them. The threads by Rainbowsmiles have incredible recipes that she created herself, and she includes photos. (some are not 100% IP compliant, but many if not most are):

https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ide...t-threads.html