May Weight Loss Challenge

You're on Page 5 of 16
Go to
  • Gardenerjoy Thanks for getting it started! How’s your garden looking? I intended to plant tomatoes a month ago and just haven’t made it happen.

Momtopands I think everyone went out to eat this weekend, so you’re in good company. Lol. What time of day are you walking? I’m so over the work eating/drinking. We have one person who has made it her personal mission to stock candy in our office, which I hate. I haven’t touched the candy bowl in over a month, and I might just ban it. My coworker has diabetes and has a hard time with the constant accessibility of sweets. :/

Ange82much Leveling out is good! To me, it means the new weight is real. Totally frustrating, but good.

Kfunk6113 Happy Tuesday! Can you drink my gallon of water for me?

Nicoley73 Nice numbers! You’re starting the month super strong.

Flower1 10 lbs, you’re so close!

Ophelia Your weekend sounds like it was super fun! I’m still working on control when I’m out socially, but I need to get it dialed in quick. Summer is approaching!

Slimmer me How did the weekend go for you?

Jayden Nice job on the two lb loss!

Nightowlrn First of all, I’m so impressed by your biking endurance. I’m working back up from a 6 month break. I used to bike 40 miles on either Saturdays or Sundays on our bike trial by the river, to Old Sacramento and back. I did 15 miles this past weekend and um wow. Lost my endurance quick. How many miles were you doing a day?

Chunkah Way to start the month off! Are you going to try and go above your goal if you make it by next week?

I’d probably be lower today if I hadn’t gone a little bit over on cinco de mayo, but I’m fine with that. I had a meal all planned out, but they got my order wrong and I was famished. I ate what they gave me with that and went over plan. Not outrageously so, just about 200 cal. Then yesterday I went on a 15-mile bike ride, which was fabulous. Lots of walking on Saturday for our lacrosse games (the field was faaaaaar from the parking lot). Overall, I feel good about the weekend. I think I’ll hit 176 in the early part of the week. Apologies if I forgot someone on the thread – it’s a party up in here.

Week One
    01: 178.6
    02: 179.2
    03: 178.8
    04: 178.2
    05: 177.0
    06: 178.0
    07: 177.4
    ----------------------------
    Total Loss for Week One: 1.2

Week Two
    08: 177.0
  • SnowMama - I usually ride a roadie 10-30 miles as many days a week that I can in the spring, summer, and fall. I am glad to find another rider here.

The Katy Trail ride was about 40-50 miles a day for 5 days -- on my tour bike, on gravel, and fully packed with tent, clothes, bag, cook stove, etc. I estimated I was burning at least 2000 cals extra a day and I tried to keep my intake 1500 (around my daily minimal needs) plus all the water I could possibly drink. So, I was just shocked to see the gain rather than a few pounds lost. I returned May 1 and my weight was the same as when I left !!! humph... I noted my feet and hands were a bit puffy too. Anyway, starting May 5, I have weighed a pound less every morning and I can't pass up a bathroom opportunity to pee. So, I guess it was the stress that caused my body to hold on to the water. Very interesting. I am also limiting my intake to 1200 cals and riding 10-20 a day, so there is that too.

Belize --- here I come!
  • Quote: SW 126
    TW 122
    May 1st : 125.8
    May 2nd: 124.7
    May 4th: 125.4
    May 5th: 124.5
    May 8th: 124.5
    May 9th: 123.9

Yay!! Mini-whoosh and only 1lb away from Target! I'm away from the scales for a couple of days now. I have to fly to Melbourne today to be cross examined in court the rest of the week for a big patent case where our competitors are trying to say one of our patents is invalid. I was involved with all the initial testing and trialling of the subject in the patent back in 2002. I have about 2000 pages of evidence to read today that I've not quite got round to learning before (and have forgotten the contents of first-hand since it was all 16 years ago!), so feeling a bit under-prepared, but should be able to get some reading done today and on the flight....

Nightowlrn The Katy sounds great. I love getting away for a few days and carrying my tent etc (on foot in my case) I just get the big endorphin rush as soon as I head outside and know i'm away in the fresh air for a few days. Interesting story on the water retention!
  • ange Congrats on the little whoosh! Getting there!

Snowmama Small drop in the right direction is always good! I walk and do my boot camp workout in the mornings around 9 am unless I have an early appointment and then i'll do it later. I'd like to start going earlier because summer is coming in GA and by 9 or 10 am it will be way too hot to be walking without heat stroke, lol.

kfunk Nice whoosh! You're really on a roll!

nicoley Glad you got to keep your loss!

Jayden Congrats on that week one loss! Very nice!

Ophelia Darn TOM! Frustrating but only temporary! Praying for a whoosh!

Today was not a good day for me stresswise. Had an issue with my bank that left me running around all day and on the phone trying to get them to fix things and by the end of the day I was just done. Isn't funny how other people's errors are not any kind of priority when your finances are affected. Anyway things are mostly worked out, though i'm having to pay for the mistakes of others, I only ate a yogurt for breakfast and then nothing else all day until I got home at 6:30. Thankfully my blood sugar was fine and I didn't overeat. My most proud moment was that I did my boot camp workout and even took a short walk to help calm me down and focus on the positive. I am feeling better than earlier and praying that tomorrow will be a better day. On the most positive note my weight is back down to my lowest from last week so hopefully this is the start of a better trend!

April 30th Weigh-In: 258.6
    Month Goal Weight: 250.6

Week Two
    08: 257.3
    09:
    10:
    11:
    12:
    13:
    14:
    End of Week One: 258.4
    Total Loss for Week Two:
  • No reason for the gain - in fact I did pretty well yesterday.

Ophelia - we saw the Avengers. It was awesome! I highly recommend.

SnowMama - my kids lacrosse season just wrapped up (we are in the South, so it gets real hot real quick) but Saturdays were always a lot of walking for me when the season was going. Those fields are big!

Momtopands - sorry about the frustrations but excellent job managing them!

SW:150.4
    GW: 144.4

Week One
    01: 150.4
    02: 151.0
    03: 150.2
    04: 149.0
    05: 148.8
    06: 149.0
    07: 148.0
    Total Loss for Week One: 2.4 lbs

Week Two
    08: 148.0
    09: 148.8
    10:
    11:
    12:
    13:
    14:
    Total Loss for Week One:
  • Snowmama- We also have an employee who has made it their mission to stock candy for our department. Every time it gets low she will go to the store to refill it. She is like 90 lbs. soaking wet. I stay away from it completely because I can’t moderate myself. LOL at the water comment! How has it been going for you in that dept? 15 miles is amazing, great job!!!

Nightowlrn – it definitely sounds like your body was holding on to water. 40-50 miles per day, wow, I can’t even wrap my brain around that! What kind of training do you have to do to build your endurance up for that long of a trek?

Ange- YAY on the whoosh!! I hope that the trial goes well, it sounds stressful to me.

Momtopands- I am sorry that you had a stressful day, I hope that today is much better. Congratulations on not overeating and also getting in your workout, that is a huge accomplishment amid all the chaos you were dealing with. Nice drop!!

Nicoley- bodies are crazy, hopefully that bump up will be gone in no time!

Sw: 169.4
    cw: 162.2(-7.2)
    gw: 157.8
  • Continuing on...
    5/9/18 125.0
    Thankyou everyone for the kind words
    Congrats to all on your journeys
  • SnowMama: My garden is off to a slow start, too. It was cold for so long. Now, it's hot but rainy! I never did plant a garden last year so I'm determined to eat least get some herbs and tomatoes in this spring.

SW: 98.4kgs GW: 97.4kgs (-1.0 kgs)

1: 98.4 kgs
    2: 97.85
    8: 98.4 kgs
    9: 98.35
  • nicoley and kfunk Thanks for the support. Today is starting out a much better day and i'm glad I didn't fall off!

gardenerjoy I haven't had a garden for the past 2 years due to back issues and no one to till it and I really miss all I get from it. I am late but hoping that I can still get one in. The weather is beautiful and if I can find someone to till my garden plot I will be good to go! Hope your garden takes off soon!

Today is a much better day than yesterday and i'm keeping my focus on the positive. Already did all my workouts and walking and have an appointment with the allergist to figure out all these allergies that are popping up(boy do I miss eggs!) No change in weight but definitely not up!

Week Two
    08: 257.3
    09: 257.3
    10:
    11:
    12:
    13:
    14:
    End of Week One: 258.4
    Total Loss for Week Two:
  • Thanks, kfunk! I've been slacking with weight loss for a long time now (since last fall). My mind's been elsewhere and I got complacent about my weight, didn't feel driven to shed these last 20 pounds. I'm in the zone now though and really want to get off at least half of that by the end of July. (I move to start a PhD program in August!)

Snowmama - If I meet goal early, I'll definitely make another bonus goal. I think that's only happened to me once before. I lose so slowly. 200 over on Cinco de Mayo is great! On the days I go over, I'm usually over around 500 (or more calories). I'm working on reigning that in, but it can be tricky for me when socializing is involved.

Good luck, all, and great work!
  • gardenerjoy: I hope the extra water will help flush out the Chipotle sodium for you soon!

nicoley73: That's what we saw on Saturday...and, I agree that it was very good!

Jayden: Nice work!

kfunk: I ended up drinking a tiny bit more than a gallon both yesterday and the day before, so it worked -- I'm glad it worked for you, as well! I'm going to try to keep this up, especially with TOM in town now, to see if I can get a whoosh sometime this week. And, it is weird that our schedules have been pretty much the same for awhile now! It's nice to have someone to commiserate with, though. Here's to post-TOM whooshes for us both, and nice drop for you today!

SnowMama: I always feel like summer is the ultimate motivator in having a deadline for getting on track! And, wow...a 15 mile bike ride! That's awesome! I'm the only one in the house (other than our toddler, lol) that doesn't have a bike -- I need to change that. I miss having one!

Nightowlrn: I was just telling SnowMama that I need to finally get a bike after not having one for yeeeears, and your reply to her was even more incentive to have that on my to-get list!

ange82much: Congrats on the mini-whoosh! You're doing amazing. Best of luck with the case, by the way!

momtopands: I'm sorry you had such a stressful day yesterday, but glad that it was mostly settled out by the end of the day. Still, so frustrating to have to do all of that due to someone else's error! Great job refocusing that negative energy into something positive and using it to get in a workout instead! And, I'm glad that today has already been better!

Chunkah: Thank you, I'm hoping it goes smoothly as well!

-----------------------------------------

Weigh-in was down a smidge to 183.0 yesterday and was down a bit more to 182.2 today. TOM has also started, as expected. I managed to hit my one gallon (a little more than 4L) water goal both yesterday and the day before, so I think that is helping to move my numbers back down, despite the bloated feeling from TOM. Hopefully, if I keep this up, that will mean good things for the end of the week when my cycle is through.

Week Two
    08: 183.0
    09: 182.2 - TOM.
    10:
    11:
    12:
    13:
    14:
    End of Week One: 183.2
    Total Loss for Week Two:

• I love reading everyone's stories. Ange82 - I hope the depo goes well.
    RE - bike riding. What I love about riding is that I really can't stop or give up when I am on a ride. I HAVE to get back home somehow So, I ride away from home and not in a circle. That way, I find I get more miles in.

My riding area is a series of hills, which is great for cardio and HITT. I also like it because the time just flies by as I look at things and try not to fall over.

The Katy Trail was a stretch for me because of the gravel and weight of my stuff, but the distance was fine. I did it solo and met a few challenges along the way and was proud I never gave up, even though twice I almost called my husband for a rescue. I really didn't "train." If you can ride 20 miles in 2 hours, you can ride about anywhere for any distance. You just take breaks and you get where you need to go eventually.
  • Really no reason for this! It's why dieting is so hard - and why I give up so frequently. But my night classes finished early, so I should be able to do better and eat a real dinner instead of a random assortment of things. Although my parents come in next week for a week, and that makes it harder, because I'm sure we will go out to eat a few times.

SW:150.4
    GW: 144.4

Week One
    01: 150.4
    02: 151.0
    03: 150.2
    04: 149.0
    05: 148.8
    06: 149.0
    07: 148.0
    Total Loss for Week One: 2.4 lbs

Week Two
    08: 148.0
    09: 148.8
    10: 149.4
    11:
    12:
    13:
    14:
    Total Loss for Week One:
  • Momtopands I am glad that yesterday was much better! I hope that your allergist can help you figure out what is going on!

Lunkah – do you have a plan to tackle the last 20 lbs? That would be awesome to have half gone by the time you are busy with your PHD program.

Ophelia- I ended up drinking less water the past 2 days, so today I am dedicating myself to another gallon challenge. I bounced back up a full pound today and think it’s because I had some chips and salsa last night. Nice drop, hopefully the numbers will keep moving down for you!

Nightowlrn
    - Oh boy, I think hills would be a huge problem for me hahah!! I haven’t been on a bike in YEARS though. That is encouraging that the distance wasn’t the issue, great job on making it on your own and not calling your hubby!!

Nicoley- I went up a full lb. today even though my WW points were below my max. I think mine is water retention from a salty dinner. Please don’t give up, even though the scale is being stubborn; you will probably end up with a whoosh soon!

Sw: 169.4
    cw: 163.2(-6.2)
    gw: 157.8
  • SW: 98.4kgs GW: 97.4kgs (-1.0 kgs)

1: 98.4 kgs
    2: 97.85
    8: 98.4 kgs
    9: 98.35
    10: 98.0