Primordial Soup's Daily Mini Goals Thread

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • In lieu of having a diet blog, I figured it would be more reasonable to create a mini goal thread in order to keep myself motivated and hold myself accountable.

I don't intend to weigh myself or take measurements often since it tends to subconsciously feel defeating for me at times, no matter how much I try to tell myself "don't focus on numbers." For example, there have been days when I felt that I've done really well, but then I'd weigh myself the next day and find that I've gained weight or stayed the same after a long plateau.

Therefore I need to keep myself accountable with mini goals for now. Then I can focus on actual numbers once I start to feel my clothing actually feel looser and such.

My first mini goals are quite simple and are focused on trying to develop my capacity for discipline on all levels:

1. Make sure to post in this thread every day with an honest recounting of how well I did diet and exercise-wise,

2. Write one thing down that I am thankful for in order to concentrate on gratitude and positivity,

3. Read (an actual book, not online articles or whatnot) for at least 20 minutes every day,

4. Meditate for at least 1 hour a day (if need be I will divide it into 2 sessions at first, since 1 hour is still difficult for me to achieve in one sitting).

So these are my mini goals for the next 30 days. On April 21st I will weigh myself and take new measurements.

On that note, I'm going to take measurements right now. I technically started this yesterday (March 22nd) but I forgot to take measurements. So even though I already ate twice today, it's okay. It'll probably be a little more of a joy to weigh and measure myself in a month since it'll show a little more of a loss in weight and inches.

Current Weight as of 3.23.18:
    265.5lbs

Current Waist Measurement as of 3.23.18:
    55 inches (More like "where my waist should be"... And I only do my waist measurement because I feel that it's the best gauge of how I'm actually doing since that is where my biggest problem area is.)

So later tonight I will return and post my 4 mini goal stats.

Thanks and see you soon!
  • Good luck on your journey!
  • Quote: Good luck on your journey!
    Thank you so much for your encouragement!
    Mood:

1. Diet & Exercise
    Food app helps greatly to cut down on in between meal snacking. Seeing pictures of the food I'm eating really causes me to take pause and not go back for seconds or put more on my plate than I should. So much easier than calorie counting!

Did a short walk today. Will do modified push-ups in a bit.

2. Gratitude
    Thankful for my body. Even though it isn't the way I'd like it to look, it still gets me around and allows me to live life in ways I may take for granted.

3. Reading
    Check

4. Meditate
    Check

Until tomorrow ~
    Mood:

1. Diet & Exercise
    Definitely feel better when I force myself to start the day with a smoothie. I have never liked fruit, but I do like veggies. So what I try to do to make it somewhat palletable yet nutritious is the following:

- 1 cup unsweetened flax milk (need that B12 and Vit D boost since I have cut way back on meat and dairy, and I'm not one for roasting in the sunshine)
    - 1/2 frozen banana (potassium!)
    - a small handful of other fruit, like 2 TB frozen berries (fiber, antioxidants and other vitamins, especially C!)
    - a generous handful of something green, like frozen kale (for fiber, magnesium and folate!)
    - 1 TB raw sunflower seeds (vitamin E, some fat to keep me satiated, and a bunch of other goodies!)
    - 1/2 TB hemp powder (the ever so important omega 3's and a bunch of other goodies!)
    - and some water to make it more into a thinned out juice (because it's always good to keep the body hydrated!)

And I always take a probiotic with it for an added boost. Not sure if they really work or not (the research is still out on this one), but I figure it's better to do it than not for me at this point.

And that's about it for the smoothie formula. I assume it's easy on my digestion since the blender "pre-digests" it for me by chewing it up into a liquid. Therefore I'm hoping I'm absorbing the nutrients well and making sure to not "gulp" it down and let my mouth start the actual digestive process by swirling it around a bit before swallowing.

Again, it's not that tasty or anything, but it feels healthy. I'm sure I will change up the ingredients every now and then, but for now I like my 2 cups of liquid vitamins and minerals first thing in the morning.

As for exercise, I did a short walk today. Will do modified push-ups in a few minutes. Need to do my yoga though (ie my glorified stretching since I'm incredibly inflexible right now). Must remember to do it first thing in the morning from now on and not skip it.

2. Gratitude
    Today I am thankful for this lovely community. It's so great to read the posts here. So much positivity, love and encouragement. No wonder there is so much success! So inspiring to see. Very happy to see others doing well and getting healthier.

3. Reading
    Check

4. Meditate
    I am slacking on that today. I have yet to do it and it's almost bedtime. So if I can at least do 1/2 hour maybe that's acceptable for now. Nighttime is noisy around here every day so it's hard to have any quite time after about 6pm. I would have meditated earlier but I was out and about hustling all day. Ah well. I will just have to have quality over quantity tonight then, which isn't so bad.

Until tomorrow ~
  • Mood:

1. Diet & Exercise
    Logged meals: Check
    Yoga/stretching:
    Walk:
    Push-ups: Check

Not the greatest day in terms of food and exercise but, hey-- it's Sunday. It felt appropriate to be lazy today.

2. Gratitude
    Today I am thankful for Netflix.

3. Reading
    Will do before bed.

4. Meditate
    Check

Until tomorrow ~
  • Mood:
    Sleepy!

1. Diet & Exercise
    Yoga/stretching:
    Walk: Check
    Push-ups:

Still need to get more serious about the stretching and such. Ate a little more than I should have today, too, but I had a social food event at the end of the day and wanted to join in.

2. Gratitude
    Today I am thankful for 80's music. The nostalgic tunes make me smile.

3. Reading
    Check

4. Meditate
    Check

Until tomorrow ~
  • Mood:
    Not loving the Roseanne revival, although I wasn't a fan of the original either

1. Diet & Exercise
    Yoga/stretching:
    Walk: sorta... walked in place at home for 20 minutes... but I should have done more.
    Push-ups:

Need to up the exercise.

2. Gratitude
    Today I am thankful for my comfortable bed. Nothing beats snuggling beneath a nice comforter with some fluffy pillows when you're ready for sleepy time.

3. Reading
    Check

4. Meditate
    Check

Until tomorrow ~
  • I'm already slacking... I forgot to log in here yesterday.

Therefore, I think it's time to reevaluate my criteria here. Yesterday's stats (that I forgot to log) were this:

---------
    Mood:
    Forgetful, obviously!

1. Diet & Exercise
    Logged meals: Check although I admit I took a couple of bites of extra things here and there... need to stop that because it ends up being a slippery slope
    Yoga/stretching:
    Walk: Check
    Push-ups:

2. Gratitude
    Today I am thankful for being able to quickly google recipes... it's nice when you're in the mood for cheesey sauce and want it veganized but don't know how to do it.

3. Reading
    Totally forgot but wanted to

4. Meditate
    Only did about 15 minutes

Until tomorrow ~

---------

So looking at the trend, I should hold off on stetching/yoga for now and add it as a later goal to implement. I'm just not doing it for whatever reason. And the hour long meditation sessions may be too much. Maybe 1/2 hour for now and any added minutes will be considered a welcomed bonus.

Be back later tonight!
  • OK, time to get real.

Today I totally messed up. But I see how I've been messing up by logging on this thread.

It all started out small. I made cookies the other day and then I started sneaking a couple in between meals for snacking. Meaning, I didn't bother to log them in my food diary app, which contradicts the entire point of logging my food. It then just kept snowballing from there. Then I started to skip certain things like taking a walk or reading or doing push-ups. Not to mention, my mini goal of meditation kept getting dwindled down time-wise and I became very lazy with that.

This is a familiar pattern of mine when trying to implement a new routine. I usually start off hot like most people do on a new plan. But as I start going along I start slipping back into the small bad behavior patterns and then just totally get off track and "conveniently" forgot everything I promised myself that i would do.

Luckily, I'm catching myself this time and not letting the downward spiral take control. Tomorrow when I wake up, I am getting back on track and doing this right. I'm starting the day with my smoothie. The past few days I didn't have bananas and used that as an excuse not to make smoothies and ate leftovers for breakfast instead. Bad idea. Starting the day with heavier foods just isn't something beneficial for my body. I know I feel better when I drink a healthy fruit and veggie smoothie in the morning, so why I would reach for anything else to eat is beyond me.

As for push-ups, this is a mini goal I really want to achieve. I keep looking back on all the time I have wasted where I haven't done push-ups, and I feel as if if I had been doing them for the past year, I would actually have really strong arms that are in shape. But why I can't keep that little commitment every day I just don't know. The same goes with stretching. I used to be very flexible. And if I would only take 15 to 20 minutes out of my day to do some small little stretching routine, a year from now there would be a lot of progress. Is it a fear of success that holds me back? A fear of failure? Just being lazy and always procrastinating? Don't think I'm worth the self care and self love? Not sure. But whatever it is, I need to be more mindful when I find myself shrugging off the mini goals and be more aware of why I am choosing options that appear to be against my health and well being and continually perpetuating a lifestyle that is unhealthy, unmotivated and uninspired.

So tomorrow I will start again. I may or may not tweak my goals again, because even though I have to push myself, I also have to be aware of my limitations and be realistic of what I can handle right now.

Okay, see you tomorrow. But I will do my gratitude mini goal before I sign off:

Today I am grateful for being able to make better choices and thereby feeling empowered for it. I am grateful to know myself better-- all of the good, bad, ugly and pretty parts-- so that I am able to take this knowledge and use it to my advantage for my evolution.

ttfn!
  • Hey, just wanted to say you're doing awesome! You've mentioned a lot of things that are important to remember in this journey. One day at a time, and one goal at a time. When I started my journey to health, I thought of what benefits even the smallest improvement in my current routine would bring a year from now. A little bit of progress each day leads to big results 365 days later. One day can be so discouraging when you isolate it and let that dictate your mindset, but if you let it pass and look at the big picture (small habits leading to permanent changes in how you live) you will be transformed without even really realizing it!

One small thing I started with was brushing my teeth every morning. I had a bad habit of brushing only when I remembered to (and my dentist visits weren't too encouraging). That small habit of self care helped set in motion a lot of little things that now are old hat for me. I just took it one habit at a time, and let that one habit 'stick' before moving on to another, because let's face it, I get overwhelmed easily and give up if I don't. Then, I was 300+ pounds and sedentary, and took poor care of myself. Now, I brush my teeth , take vitamins, exercise every day, eat breakfast regularly, cook the majority of my family's meals from scratch, and am on a path to making better habits overall.

I still have many things I want to work on (pretty sure I always will!) But I know that I can, and you can too. Stick with it and you can do this!

Edited to add, since making these life changes I'm down to 165-170 range.
  • Quote: Hey, just wanted to say you're doing awesome! You've mentioned a lot of things that are important to remember in this journey. One day at a time, and one goal at a time. When I started my journey to health, I thought of what benefits even the smallest improvement in my current routine would bring a year from now. A little bit of progress each day leads to big results 365 days later. One day can be so discouraging when you isolate it and let that dictate your mindset, but if you let it pass and look at the big picture (small habits leading to permanent changes in how you live) you will be transformed without even really realizing it!

One small thing I started with was brushing my teeth every morning. I had a bad habit of brushing only when I remembered to (and my dentist visits weren't too encouraging). That small habit of self care helped set in motion a lot of little things that now are old hat for me. I just took it one habit at a time, and let that one habit 'stick' before moving on to another, because let's face it, I get overwhelmed easily and give up if I don't. Then, I was 300+ pounds and sedentary, and took poor care of myself. Now, I brush my teeth , take vitamins, exercise every day, eat breakfast regularly, cook the majority of my family's meals from scratch, and am on a path to making better habits overall.

I still have many things I want to work on (pretty sure I always will!) But I know that I can, and you can too. Stick with it and you can do this!

Edited to add, since making these life changes I'm down to 165-170 range.
    Wow! Incredible story. Thank you for sharing. It is very inspiring and helpful to see how the little changes made such a huge, lasting impact and helped you to become healthier. I feel that is the ticket for me, too.

And not to dwell on the past, but after rereading my "why do I do this to myself [by continually sabotaging myself]" commentary, combined with reading your account, it made me really examine why I keep failing at my lifestyle changes.

I had a mini epiphany that I think I keep choosing the "wrong" options all of the time because I'm afraid of losing control again. I'm sure this traces back to bad patterns learned in my dysfunctional childhood first and foremost (obviously), but I tried to pinpoint exact times where I could see this pattern in my adult life.

Turns out as a young adult I was very disciplined when it came to certain things, which has always confused me now as to why I have very little self control or motivation for self care. If I could do it before, why not now?...

And this is what I've realized....

Long story short, there were two main periods in my adult life where I completely lost control and lost my "happy place" (for lack of a better term). The first time I wasn't thin or incredibly healthy anything, but I was very content with life and quite relaxed yet naturally motivated to make healthy and appropriate choices for my well being. Then I met someone (my ex husband) who was not good for me and I *knew* this, but due to unresolved issues from childhood I basically sabotaged my "happy place" and let him take control over my life and lost what I had.

The next point was years later and I remember being quite disciplined in all areas of my life: eating, exercise, work, school, finances, home, social life, etc. But then drama and disaster struck and then everything I worked so incredibly hard for started to disappear. First it was my health, then my job, then my schooling, etc. It was a complete nightmare and still haunts me to this day in some ways.

So looking back, what I think that I've learned on a subconscious level is that "it doesn't pay to try because something or someone will come along and ruin it for you anyway." Seriously. I think that's why I don't bother and shy away from success. On some level I think I feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football every time I try to get back on track with my life. I figure there's no point in trying and to try and succeed only means that someone, somewhere, once again will come along and simply sabotage me before I have a change to sabotage myself.

So with this mini realization in mind, I have to ask myself, "What can I do to make sure I can still succeed without allowing any sabotage to unfold from me or anyone else?" Sure, impermanence is unavoidable and I'm not talking about that concept exactly. I know eventually old age will "sabotage" my efforts, or an unforeseen catastrophe may "sabotage" my work, but that's life and some of it is inevitable, so I'm not too concerned about that.

What I am concerned with is the sabotage that comes with "giving away my power" when another being tries to enter my dimension and take control over my life for me. Basically, allowing myself to become the victim of someone's sadism/bullying or entering into a codependent relationship is what always trips me up each and every time. I'll be in my happy place or be doing well and succeeding, then someone who is jealous or whom wants to leech onto my positive energy will try to engage me in order to take the control away from me. And wanting to be a "people pleaser," I would always have poor boundaries and end up being a doormat until the energetic vampire destroyed me and sucked the life out of me. Then I'd be lying there in a pool of self pity, seeing my life in shambles and wondering "how did this happen?" while they sit there smirking and moving on to their next supply.

Not to say that my own arrogance and anger and other destructive emotions haven't had a hand in my downfalls as well-- of course they have. But I do see that these emotions always tend to surface after the fact when I see it is too late and I've already been played the fool and lost most if not all of what I had worked so hard for.

So I suppose this is the awareness and mindfulness I need to have when I reach for some food or don't feel motivated to exercise or partake in any other mini goal. I need to remind myself that just because I relinquished control many times before and allowed myself to be sabotaged and abused does NOT mean it will happen again. Knowledge is power and now that I know the pattern and I have more clarity about things, I can make better choices for myself without having fear hold me back any longer. I can make that smoothie in the morning and feel good knowing that I am in control-- no one else. And I can do my push-ups and know that no one is going to come along and convince me not to do them or say or do something to ruin my stride and disrupt me on my path. I am in control. I will no longer be a pushover or set myself up to play a victim role. I will no longer let others decide "what's good for me" especially when I know they do not have my best interest in mind. No one has permission to take or sabotage my energy unless I give them permission to-- and from this point forward I no longer give any being permission to control me or taint my energy with their ill-intensions, lies, pettiness, jealousy, anger, or anything else that negates my highest self and best interest.

So, yes, these are the things I need to remember. I shouldn't fear success. I shouldn't fear going to my "happy place" again because I'm worried someone will come along and take it away from me once again. No. They can't. Because I won't let it happen. I will continue to remain aware at all times and be mindful of how things really are. And when my intuition tells me something is askew, I won't ignore it or allow anyone to convince me that I'm crazy or paranoid. I will trust myself. And I will do what's best FOR ME. And if other people don't like it, then tough. They'll just have to learn patience and learn that they are NOT in control, they are NOT the center of the universe, and they can NOT always get their way and bully others into submission. And for those individuals who are behaving in a toxic manner and trying to harm me, may it all be reflected back to them 3-fold (with an aftershot of some compassion for good measure).

In closing, I am loved. I am loveable. I am loving. And I am perfect just the way I am right now in this very moment.

Mini Goal #1:
    Drink a smoothie
    -- done!

I woke up feeling good. I immediately-- and happily-- skipped towards the kitchen this morning and had a lucious, nutritious smoothie. And when I drank it I told myself, "I am worthy of health, wealth, and happiness and am drinking this smoothie because I love and care about myself." I imagined absorbing all of the healthy nuitrients into my body and imagining them fortifying my cells and giving me the good energy I need for today. I imagined the healthy food replacing any dis-ease in my body as well.

So now I ask myself, "what can I do next for myself today that is loving and kind?" Mind you, I don't think it's "all about me," however I've been in a place for most of my life where it's been always about the other person/people and never about me. So being selfish in that sense is good. However I can't be self-absorbed, either. There is a definite difference. Self-cherishing/being self-absorbed would be constantly thinking of my own needs/living inside my head in an unhealthy manner, while disregarding the needs of others. But being a bit selfish about my care and health means I attend to my needs so that I can be more helpful in a genuine, non-codependent, healthy way so others can benefit, too. Everyone benefits when we take care of ourselves. It makes the world a happier, healthier, kinder and more compassionate place to live. So, yes, big difference there between putting yourself first and putting your neurosis first. Just wanted to clarify.

Anyway, so the next thing I'd like to do today for myself is eventually take a walk. I feel myself resisting a bit, but I'm telling myself right now, "Exercise isn't punishment. You feel GREAT when and after you go on a walk. Allow yourself to feel good and be kind to your body and do this so that you may reap the positive benefits of the walk. You are worthy of feeling good. When you feel good, then others feel good around you, too. So do it for yourself first and foremost, but also do it so that you can create a more positive and healthy environment for those whom you encounter every day."

So I'll be back later to edit this thread (assuming I still can) and add more mini goals as the day goes on!

---------
    Mini Goal #2:
    Take a walk
    -- done!

Mini Goal #3:
    Make a healthier food choice
    -- done!
    I had a carrot and celery stalk with some vegan "cheeze" dip in lieu of chips and dip

And those were my accomplishments for today. I feel good, too, and kept my awareness for the most part.

Until tomorrow ~
    So after much thought, I've finally tweaked my daily goals to something I can achieve, yet still give me a challenge. I've decided not to put a time value on the meditation session, I've changed taking a walk to just doing any type of exercise/constant movement for a 1/2 hour, and everything else is remaining the same. If I need to tweak it again later, so be it. But for now, I will try to make these stick as my April goals.

And apologies to anyone who read this and starts to think that it's too repetitive. I would have my own blog somewhere, but for some reason posting my mini goals accountability here makes me take it more seriously. If I didn't post here, I probably would have given up already (as seen already from my previous entries). So it helps for now. Maybe in a couple of weeks or months I won't need to do it any longer.

Mini Goal #1:
    Drink a smoothie for breakfast
    -- done!

Mini Goal #2:
    Exercise for at least a 1/2 hour
    -- done!

Mini Goal #3:
    Write down one thing that I am grateful for today...
    Quote:
    ... I am extremely thankful and grateful for those beings who teach me how to not be judgemental via example rather than by punishment... I've been a major pain in the butt in my life to so many beings so many times-- both when I was aware of it and when it was out of total ignorance-- and I'm thankful there are those beings who look at my past actions and see how much of a dope I was and do not hold it against me. By demonstrating this compassion and understanding towards me, they have imparted upon me a type of 'compassion by proxy' where I am now more aware of my own judgements and thoughts, and see how unfair and unnecessary it is to judge others. Instead, I am now more curious and will make an effort to try to understand where the other party is coming from rather than write them off as 'bad' or 'the enemy.' I still make sure to keep proper boundaries with those who do not know how to keep theirs, but I am more aware now to make an effort in the future to not make harsh judgements against others and take things so personally. It might be hard, but I will try my best and refer to this entry when I catch myself being a dope again.
    -- done!

Mini Goal #4:
    Meditation session
    -- done!

Mini Goal #5:
    Read for at least 20 minutes
    -- done!

Mini Goal #6:
    Push-up routine
    -- done!

Until tomorrow ~
  • Mini Goal #1:
    Drink a smoothie for breakfast
    -- done!

Mini Goal #2:
    Exercise for at least a 1/2 hour
    --
    Not today, but Sundays I usually don't worry about exercising.

Mini Goal #3:
    Write down one thing that I am grateful for today...
    --
    Quote:
    I am thankful and grateful that it was such a beautiful spring day today.
    Mini Goal #4:
    Meditation session
    -- done!

Mini Goal #5:
    Read for at least 20 minutes
    -- done!

Mini Goal #6:
    Push-up routine
    -- done!

Until tomorrow ~