Intermittent Fasting Support

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Hiya.
    Not sure if there are any Intermittent Fasting threads on here so I thought ild create one. Iv done IF before and currently getting back into it. I am looking to see if anyone is interesting in joining me on this journey

Thanks a bunch.
  • hi zlwambano - Welcome!
    I've just been reading about this and discovered i'm already doing a version of it. Not sure whether that's good or bad really! I typically eat between 9am and 5pm, so the rest could technically be called IF, apparently although I never thought of it that way. Anyway I just thought i'd say hi, and i'm considering developing my habits to go a bit more extreme (currently i'm at 1000 cal per day, but thought i'd go for 7000 calories a week and incorporate some higher calorie days and lower calorie days or even total fast days) I know that's not really the point of IF in that the calorie restriction isn't supposed to be needed, but I guess i'm not too worried about following some specific plan, i'm just trying to find what suits me!
    How have you done IF before? How much did you lose, and did you put weight back on, or are you just hoping to lose more? Are you doing the same plan this time around?
  • Hello! I follow a Keto diet and fast every morning. I don't eat until about 1 or 2pm. So, when I post my 'breakfast' meal, it is actually about 2pm. I feel really good so I am going to continue to follow this plan for awhile. I tried fasting for days in the (way) past but couldn't do it. Too hard. I felt shaky and weak. I don't feel week at all following the keto diet with the morning fasting. I can't speak with authority because I have only been doing it for a week but I am not hungry at all and I have lost 2 pounds.

Good luck with your intermittent fasting! There is lot's of support here. Posting your weight, diet and fasting can help you feel accountable. It does me.
  • Hello there, I have been searchin for a IF discussion on here!
    I'm now back to following keto and I want to reinstroduce IF. I used to fast twice a day for 23 hours (as per Obesity Code). I just find it really difficult to get back to it these days. Maybe I need a little extra time to establish ketosis and get used to everything. I'm considering switching to 18:6 but I will see how it goes.
  • Quote: hi zlwambano - Welcome!
    I've just been reading about this and discovered i'm already doing a version of it. Not sure whether that's good or bad really! I typically eat between 9am and 5pm, so the rest could technically be called IF, apparently although I never thought of it that way. Anyway I just thought i'd say hi, and i'm considering developing my habits to go a bit more extreme (currently i'm at 1000 cal per day, but thought i'd go for 7000 calories a week and incorporate some higher calorie days and lower calorie days or even total fast days) I know that's not really the point of IF in that the calorie restriction isn't supposed to be needed, but I guess i'm not too worried about following some specific plan, i'm just trying to find what suits me!
    Hi Ange82much. The phrase I bolded in your post is actually a plan called JUDDD. It stands for Johnson Up Day Down Day. It is a form of IF also called Alternate Day Fasting. Generally speaking, you eat 500 calories or less every other day, and on the alternate day you eat normally so that the 2 days total calories equal the same as 2 normal days for you. It is similar to 5:2, where you eat normally for 5 days and 500 calories or less for 2 days. The thinking is that because you are only eating low calorie for one day at a time, it does not put your body in starvation mode. It is said to be very healthy, and works great for weight loss.
  • I eat between 10 am and 6 pm which is, I think 16:8 intermitten fasting. Some days dinner has been later and this is a good reminder to stick with that late time limit or adjust my morning eating if I am going to eat supper later.
  • Quote: The phrase I bolded in your post is actually a plan called JUDDD.
    Thanks Wannabehealthy for the info. I'll read up on that - although I don't want to be so rigid I don't think - I think i'd rather just adjust it according to whatever is going on in my life - and then probably end up having a fast or a splurge at the end of the week to tweak the total! Today is the end of 8 weeks of what I've been doing, so a good time to move on to the new regime....
  • I know how you feel. Anytime I try to follow a plan to the letter my life gets in the way. I did JUDDD for a while and it did work well for me, but it was very difficult to fit it in with DH's eating schedule. I do best if I can do a down day as often as I can fit it in instead of trying to stick to a rigid schedule for it.
  • 5:2 as IF
    Hi, my name is Jennifer. Last time I ever made a mini goal was IF. I was doing the fast 5. I got pregnant. There went that. So now I'm back trying to start IF again. I have failed to stick to it ...so I'm looking for support. Another reason I fail is THE SCALE. I hate THE SCALE. I can be losing inches and slimming down and that STUPID scale will show I'm either maintaining or gaining...so NO SCALE. I'm going to set my goals in inches and weigh maybe once a week, though NO WEIGHT GOALS this time. I'm interested in slimming down to a trim shape. My goal is six inches off my abdomen ( where circumference of my belly button area is located).

I'm starting off with the 5:2 using my net diary pro to track measurements and it says a normal day for me should be 1714 kcal. My fast days are 2 days a week with a normal day in between. I tried this week and have made it to Thursday without completing 1 fast day.

I'm going to take my measurements and post once a week, while I go through this. Thanks for having me.
  • hi jendiet good to see you here. Also good to hear you have some clear ideas on what's going to work for you and what's not. I like your plan of setting a size goal too. Good luck with your fasting days, sounds like Friday and Sunday it is then haha.
  • Hi

I just started on intermittent fasting. I start eating breakfast from 8 am until dinner time at 4 pm. The aim is to keep insulin level so low that our body releases more growth hormones to boost metabolism rate. It is working great. You might feel hungerin the beginning but your body gets used to it after a short while!
  • Hi everyone. I was amazed to find that the way I eat normally has an actual name. I have never been a big breakfast person and even through university I only ate one meal a day. Everyone has always told me I'm overweight because I don't eat consistently and I MUST eat breakfast to kick-start my metabolism. I must say I don't have the knowledge to argue. All I know is that I pick up weight with three meals a day. But then, I wasn't doing great on one meal a day either! So now I'm watching my calories closely. But I'm interested in the 5:2. So I would eat my reduced 1200 calories 5 days a week and then do 2 days of 500 calories? Sounds doable. I've only just started my journey again (5days, 1.8kgs down) so I might take a few weeks just to settle in first.

Good luck to everyone!
  • Loved reading every single post in this thread. In the past I’ve only done 1 day of One Meal A Day OMAD. But this week I’m doing 4 days straight.

The benefits far outweigh the slight hypoglycaemic effects I get - mostly stinking thinking brain issues to which I can easily talk back. Benefits I’ve noticed besides weight loss are energy, complexion and reduced appetite. I need less sleep. Energy to burn.

I will likely incorporate IF into my low carb healthy fat eating plan, maybe 2-3 days per month. It’s a nice boost
  • Hi there I am doing OMAD and it has really helped me in breaking my weight loss plateau.I hoping to stick to it.
  • Hey, I've been doing IF off and on. I just can't seem stick to it, it's sometimes easy and sometimes so painful so I end up giving up. I've been trying to lose weight for over a year now and lost like 10lbs total. Being consistent is very hard. I did the 16:8 starting at 12pm and also tried the OMAD both weren't hard it's just those days when you feel sick and out of energy that made me lose hope. Would have kept going if the scale at least moved but it didn't. So I'm trying again from today hopefully with other people's support I'll stick to it. I've never been on any forums before so I hope this helps.