New Year Beach Chat 12/31-1/6

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Busy chicks as we pull our lives together this frosty January morning.

Isa and Debbie: remember to do things for yourselves as you care for the invalids. Beth, hope the kids are getting some outside stuff worked in. If it's going to be winter, we may as well enjoy it - I keep telling myself. Jekel, I'm sure things will fall into place as you resume your routine. Pearlose, I am almost looking forward to de-Christmassing the house and may stash away some Christmas decor today.

Well, it's still cold here but almost bearable. I will drive B. to the dentist this a.m. and then carry on in town for some minor odds and sods of shopping. He sure doesn't need a drive to the dentist but it means I won't have him along in the store putting extras in the cart! I love the man dearly but his idea of needs include chips and chocolate bars. (By the way, yesterday was the first anniversary of the date he asked me out for fish and chips! So much has happened since then - good and bad but mostly good!)

Time for another coffee and then I'll bundle up to venture outside. I AM CANADIAN - right?
    good and bad!
  • Good morning,

Back to work for me, I am wfh today but after my 8 a.m. call need to run the rental back and then it is a day of conference calls and doing month and year end reports. I got my indoor walk on this morning and going to try to incorporate some later today and made a op breakfast, waiting to not feel so bloated.

Beth I agree sugar bloats me and gives me headaches now,

Ruth I agree I do better when shopping by myself than if I have either DH or DD2 they always add junk food to the cart. DD2 gave up meat this year so had to get her some extra items since I am not giving it up.

Have a great day everyone!
  • Really miserable out there with cold and blowing snow so my darling man is going to brave it and drive himself to the dentist. I intend to snuggle in with the dogs and ignore the non-essentials. My new neighbour has a frozen water pipe problem - along with half of Delta - and may come over for a hot shower and some laundry. Wells have a habit of freezing up but ours is 300 feet deep so we are OK.
  • Good morning!

I got some rest last night and now I'm enjoying my coffee. I have three days off. Lots to do, but I will take care of myself in the process. Thanks, Ruth, for the reminder! Kirks daughter flies out tonight but has a rental car so I don't have to go to the airport. Everyone is sleeping right now but I guess we will make some decisions today about whether we will move the bed downstairs or what. We've done that one before. I'm going to leisurely get the house picked up. It seems there are shoes and dishes everywhere. LOL

Ruth, a wise decision to stay home and the warmth of the house. You are sure having a cold streak!

Beth, sorry about the return to work. Are the kids back too?

Rose, Nice to get your exercise in doors. I'm working on that.

Isa, glad to hear your mom is doing better and that you are on the path to better eating.

OK, I'm going to have a few more sips of coffee and start in the kitchen. Have a great day everyone!
  • Good morning!

Taking the morning off today. I need to clean the house, do laundry and cook lunch then will be going to the hospital. Mom is supposed to come home on Friday and she is supposed to stay on a cardiac diet so I think the SBD will be perfect for her.

Today is raining and with the wind it feel like 30F I love this weather but not the rain.

Have a great Wednesday chicks!
  • Happy Wednesday, chicks.

DH and I are back to being empty nesters again. DS2 was planning on leaving tomorrow but we pushed him to go today instead to avoid the storm tomorrow. It is impossible to know how accurate the forecast is but better safe than sorry. It was great having him home but I find it easier to stay OP when I'm not making extra food for him!

Otherwise it was just a regular work day. Yes, Debbie the kids came back the same day as I did but the week should move quickly since we missed Monday.

Ruth, we had a balmy 19* this afternoon but we are going to get hit with cold again this weekend. I have the fleece sheets on my bed right now; they are better than flannel!

Have a good evening all.
  • Good morning,

Getting ready to head into work and it's a balmy 3 degrees without wind chill right now. Brrr I am bundled up. DD2 goes back to school today, don't think they will close school though a lot of schools around here are closing.

• Well, we in for it tonight with record-breaking temps and high winds. I'm sure our schools are closed once again.

I have nothing planned except starting to de-Christmas a bit indoors. Outside lights stay on until after my birthday and will not get taken down until the weather moderates! Bruce is determined to go to town to see the latest Star Wars but it's not my thing at all so I'll stay home and plan something healthy and low cal for dinner! (Would you believe the man actually lost three pounds over the holidays?) Our neighbour of the frozen pipes will be over here for a hot tub or shower as, like many others, her well is frozen solid.

Hope everyone affected by this weather "event" can stay safe and warm. And remember to keep the pets indoors as much as possible. Kids and people too, of course.
  • Good morning!

Stay warm Friends!

I ended up leaving for the airport last night at 8:30 got home at 10:30. Leaving again to go back down in about a half an hour. Kirks poor daughter had booked her flight home but had screwed it up. She was going to try to spend the night in the airport with Her service dog. We said no. After that, just staying home and regrouping. Our rental that is right upstairs has a water leak. It's been going on for months, the city found it and said they would contact me they never did. I never noticed anything odd because the water bill stayed the same. Looks like it's outside of the meter which is good for me. Something broken underneath the floor would be a whole lot harder to fix. We have good weather for 10 days so maybe it will get dealt with. The guy who put in the waterline is the one who is coming to look.

That's my day. Take care everyone!
  • Good afternoon, chicks.

Another blustery day but other than enjoying the remote start on my car work was same old same old. (which is fine) Food has been OP for 3 days and I am down a couple pounds; I know it is water weight from the sugar bloat but I will take it. I made a turkey breast on New Year's Day so we will have leftover turkey and put the gravy on mashed cauliflower.

Ruth, I will probably take down the tree on Saturday but like you the outside lights are staying on for a bit.

Debbie, the flight mix-up sounds annoying. Hope everything gets resolved.

Pearlrose, our high is supposed to -6 tomorrow with wind chill on top of that. So far schools here are holding classes but canceling sports and activities.

Hope everyone has a good evening.
  • Happy New Year chicks! Sorry I disappeared for awhile. My holidays were very nice and I hope yours were too. But I caught a bad cold and with the extreme cold outside haven't wanted to do much of anything. Trying to get back in the groove this week has been a challenge. I definitely feel in need of 2 weeks of Phase 1. Most of the junk is out of the house though. I'll do a better job of catching up with you this weekend.
  • Good morning chicks! We have the day off, mostly due to the cold rather than snow. The temp is -9* with a wind chill at -30 so the powers that be are urging everyone to stay home and inside.

Today I will do my best to stay OP and not spend my day snacking. Perhaps I will find a book to read. My weight has been trending down for the last few days and I lose the water weight, now I need to keep up the momentum.

Schmoodle, sorry to hear you were sick but glad you are feeling better. I think most of us are sticking to P1 right now. It is so easy to over-indulge during the holiday season.

Happy Friday chicks!
  • Good morning and Happy Friday,

The temperatures are creeping up starting at 13 degrees this morning and are high is 20, it's a heat wave lol. Today I am wfh and hoping to finish up some reports today though I do have a few conference calls and this afternoon DD2 has an ortho appt, they are calling for rain/snow so hopefully the roads will be clear this afternoon or I will cancel her appt. The scale is moving down as well for me since I have been doing Phase 1, starting to feel better too.

Debbie that was nice of you to go get Kirk's daughter

Beth enjoy your bonus day off, now you get a 3 day weekend

Ruth I will start taking down decoration tomorrow

Schmoodle glad you are feeling better and had nice holiday

• Good morning after a rather poor night's sleep. This old house was crabbing about the cold and groaning a bit. We are heading for another day of record-breaking cold again but I do have to go out to shop for some essentials - laundry and dish detergent, mainly. Bruce has already been out for the paper and made sure the cars will start when we go to shop.

I am back on the South Beach Beach Buggy and need to dig out some new recipes for motivation. I'll have to follow Phase II but watch the carbs. I can't cut carbs too much because of Bruce but ... We do have a community breakfast tomorrow but no other meal events until next Friday's Seniors' luncheon, Swiss Chalet (chicken) after a friend's play opens in Ottawa and then a Sunday dinner out for my birthday! I may be able to move the BD Dinner until later since the weekend looks way too "foodie".

I've already started a bit of de-decorating - just wreaths and Christmas candles so "de-treeing" tomorrow won't be too sad. .... It really would be nice to keep the tree until we get some relief from this incredible cold. So glad to know we have water, warmth and heat from the generator happens to be needed. Twenty years ago we were in the middle of the Ice Storm and things were pretty grim here for over a week. (I cooked in our local shelter for ten days - quite an experience for someone "new" to the area.)
  • Ruth, I remember that storm so well! In fact, I watched a "20 year video" on the news this morning. With our wood stove we were so warm and well fed I almost felt guilty. Our power was off for a week.

Happy Friday night, chicks!