Emotional Eating Linked To Stress/Exhaustion

• I notice I still have patterns of binge/emotional eating when I am stressed or exhausted.

I've been doing this for a long time, and am recovered 12 years from Anorexia and Bulimia, but can't seem to completely kick the intermittent binge cycle (once weekly or so.)

Any advice? Suggestions? Anything?
  • Hi I'm new here, so I don't have much experience on the boards, but I just wanted to say that I've been 20 years recovered from bulimia. I still have issues with bingeing and have doubled in weight since I stopped purging, but that's also due to various other health problems. The urge to binge hits me in the evenings so I've started taking 'Hunger Buster' capsules by Protein World 1 hour before my evening meal and so far they seem to be working. I don't go to bed with desperate urges to snack.

I also avoid the kitchen after my evening meal. Distraction techniques seem to help like listening to the radio (no adverts for food) , doing sudoku or playing computer games. Reading books is out because that requires calmness of mind and concentration. I need something to channel nervous binge energy into. Walking is quite a good one.

Anyway, I don't know if any of this will help but hopefully it might trigger some ideas for you
  • Quote: Hi I'm new here, so I don't have much experience on the boards, but I just wanted to say that I've been 20 years recovered from bulimia. I still have issues with bingeing and have doubled in weight since I stopped purging, but that's also due to various other health problems. The urge to binge hits me in the evenings so I've started taking 'Hunger Buster' capsules by Protein World 1 hour before my evening meal and so far they seem to be working. I don't go to bed with desperate urges to snack.

I also avoid the kitchen after my evening meal. Distraction techniques seem to help like listening to the radio (no adverts for food) , doing sudoku or playing computer games. Reading books is out because that requires calmness of mind and concentration. I need something to channel nervous binge energy into. Walking is quite a good one.

Anyway, I don't know if any of this will help but hopefully it might trigger some ideas for you
    Hi, and thank you for your reply and suggestions! I appreciate it
  • Quote: Hi I'm new here, so I don't have much experience on the boards, but I just wanted to say that I've been 20 years recovered from bulimia. I still have issues with bingeing and have doubled in weight since I stopped purging, but that's also due to various other health problems. The urge to binge hits me in the evenings so I've started taking 'Hunger Buster' capsules by Protein World 1 hour before my evening meal and so far they seem to be working. I don't go to bed with desperate urges to snack.

Excellent advice. For me doing the suggestion is a bit
    challenging. I obssess over food when I'm stressed.
    This summer, I ate an obnoxious amount of fudge
    sickles, ice cream, chips, pastry etc. (I've had
    enough, it needs to stop).
    Unfortunately I'm seeing the mirror effect of myself
    manifest through my 2 young (feline) sons. One
    is a huge food fiend, he needs supervision because
    he eats fast and more than his share. (they were
    rescues). I made the observation that this is L.o.v.e
    related. I'm tending to him with nurturing and
    comfort outside of food. My issue with food I
    think is about Love as well. I have outside love
    (my husband) but my self love has been pretty