Steel Magnolias -- #5

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Good Morning! I ran some more errands this morning. I didn't think it was raining even though the street was still wet but it was misting. Along with the never ending wind and 35 degrees outside, it's not a nice day to stand around outside. I need to make a weekend grocery list and go out again so I don't have to be out with the local Friday crazies tomorrow. We have our last concert Saturday night, a ukulele orchestra with some comedy and vocals. I'm sure it will be better than the last guy! Bob will be home for lunch soon so need to check and see if there are any leftovers or maybe something "new." I am so lucky he will eat most anything.

Susan, thinking of you and hope the new knee is working well for you!

"Gma," what are you up to today?

I'm off to search the fridge! Enjoy a fantastic Friday!
  • Good evening. We have had on and off rain all day long. I want some sunshine!! I'm about ready for sandals.
    It got a little chilly this afternoon.

Jack had to work out on the pithog all day yesterday so he came home all sunburned on his head and arms. He was in the sun and the water reflection.

I ordered a bunch of cruise clothes. I ordered a pink polka dot dress that I hope I like. My dress pants are too big so I need to find a new pair of black dress pants.

Jean: I guess I should have said healthier. I cut out white bread products and even went past just wheat bread to multi grain bread. I quit eating potatoes and regular pasta and am going with veg substitutes and whole wheat pasta. I quit drinking soda except rarely too. I am eating more protein and limit my carbs even more than I did. It's a pain because I have to cook a lot more or use a lot more pots and pans because Jack is meat and potatoes. I take it you were talking about church with the ukeleles? No, we have an ice tea maker. Jack just goes through a ton of tea. I haven't been able to find any brand that has a selection of diet ice teas.

Everyone have a good evening.
  • Good morning to you all. It is a bit cool this morning, but nice and sunny so looks like it is going to be a nice day.

I am going to get my chores done this morning then get some more knitting done. I have to say I am sick of knitting squares and I still have two more colors to go before I can sew them all together. I have 4 of the mid green to do then I will start on the white I guess.

We have to go out tomorrow and stock up some more. I have some fruit I need to get and more bread and I want to get more tea and the Ice water stuff. I am going to use the last of my blueberries this morning on my Eggos.

I never did tell you about this dress I bought. The fabric pattern and colors were so pretty but I put the dress on and it looked like a potato sack. The sleeves were not sewn in properly so they were really hard to get on and off and the rest of the dress just hung and was really ugly. I wouldn't have worn it around the house even. So, it goes back tomorrow. I hope the pink polka dot one is a lot better. I bought a top and a tank and sweater from QVC. It is one of the Quacker factory brands. They have such cute stuff. I am hoping I have lost enough weight by Sept that I can wear my short and vest with the tshirt I bought from them a couple years ago. I did buy a pair of cargo shorts and cargo capris and a pair of white denim capris as the top I bought from QVC is a black bottom and white from the breast up with little jewels all over the top of it.

I am not sure my big toe is going to have grown out and look better by sandal time so I may just have to wear a band aid on it. I used the Vicks on it for a couple months and the top half of the toenail completely softened and came off, but a small part of the bottom didn't. It is still kind of yellow and ugly looking but I have been using that Kerasol on it every day so I hope it improves soon. They said sometimes it can't take 6 months. Ugh!

Susan: I hope the knees were a great success and they improve your overall walking and such!

Jean: What are your plans this weekend??

Have a nice weekend everyone.
  • Good Afternoon! The sun is playing hide 'n seek, more hiding than out. I had an errand first thing this morning and stopped to pick up a couple things at the grocery store. I also cleaned the oven racks this morning, I've had baked potatoes bubble over and drip, then grease spatters from something. I wish self cleaning ovens could clean the racks too. We are going to a funeral visitation later this afternoon, for a lady we just saw at a funeral in Bob's hometown. Bob helped on their farm when he was in high school and she fed him really good food! Afterwards I think we may head to Sioux City and look for birthday clothes for Kolby and Zowie.

"Gma," at one time Bob's doctor was a big South Beach diet promoter. He said if it is white, don't eat it. The ukulele concert is part of the season tickets we bought. This is the last concert for this year. We start again in October, or maybe September. We've enjoyed them all except the last guy but now we can say we were exposed to someone different from our usual choice. Do you use regular tea bags or powdered tea in your tea maker? I've seen the Quacker Factory on QVC and the clothes are cute. I just never know what size to order so don't order anything. I am getting clothing catalogs all of a sudden. Bob even asked if I signed up on a mailing list. I'm sorry the dress was a dud. Is your toe sore or just not pretty? So far for the weekend, I need to vacuum tomorrow, change the sheets, concert, and church on Sunday. It's supposed to rain.

​Not much else newsy from here today. Hope you all enjoying a great day!
  • Good Afternoon! It's another gloomy day in my neighborhood although it is getting brighter. There is no wind for a nice change, and so far no rain. I made a casserole for lunch, a chicken and wild rice one that I had at a luncheon last month. The hostess said she made extra in her pan, which I didn't do, and mine looked as large as hers did. We will be eating leftovers for days! I have sheets in the washer that should be done, and the dishwasher is doing dishes. Next on my agenda is to decide what to wear to the concert tonight. I have been looking through clothing catalogs and they are expensive! All offer "free" shipping if buying over certain amounts. Needless to say I haven't seen anything that really catches my eye although I do need some new clothes. I just hate to shop!

I need to get busy and put dishes away! Enjoy a nice Saturday!
  • Good morning all. It is going to be beautiful here today, sunny and in the 80's so we are going to take both cars and get them washed and vacuumed this afternoon. Supposed to rain tomorrow but they need it badly as it has rained the last two weekends so we couldn't get them washed.

I am going to do some upstairs cleaning today and that's it. The baseball season starts today so we want to watch the Cubs beat the Cardinals! Their manager took a potshot at our manager about the way he manages. Unfortunately, the Cards did not win the WS and we did so..... I did three loads of laundry yesterday including sheets and the shower curtains.

We are having spaghetti tonight for dinner. Jack is having regular and I am having whole wheat. I think I will cook mine first as it takes significantly longer to cook whole wheat. Jack doesn't want meatballs, which I have in the freezer nor does he want meat in his sauce so it should be easy peasy tonight. I would probably want meatballs or something so I may put chicken with mine. I have some of that cooked chicken in my fridge I can heat up.

We went out yesterday and got some money for the boys Easter cards, took the dress to the post office and shipped it back and went to WM. Oh my gosh, WM was a complete and utter zoo. We hurried around and got what was on the list and got out of there. Jack had to put together my scooter as not only was the handicap spaces all full but there wasn't one electric cart available. Except for him having to put it together, I like mine better anyway as it is much faster to get around.

Jean: I looked at my toe last night and the rest of the nail was soft so I clipped the rest of it off so I should grow in all new now. No, it is not sore at all even if you push on it. It is just terribly ugly. I don't know what causes it to happen, because I had the second toe on my right foot get fungus and I treated it and it went away really quickly and the nail didn't fall off, but this one was really ugly. I tried to deal with it last year, but with having nail polish on it all the time it just didn't work so I was determined starting last fall I was going to get it cleared up. It should be in good shape now. Jack is not much on casseroles. I happen to like them. He doesn't even like baked macaroni and cheese. I love the baked kind better. Hope the concert was fun! I have been getting tons of catalogues too. Maybe it is to try and get you to buy spring clothing. I posted the pink polka dot dress. I think it is just so cute, but who knows what it will look like on. I did get my new undies and swimsuit and a black top to wear with dress pants for non formal nights in the dining room. They sent nylon instead of cotton undies, but I decided to just keep them and wear them. It costs $8 to send them back so it isn't worth it and I used to wear nylon anyway so I really don't care.

Well gals, off to do some knitting then get a bit of cleaning done.

• Good Afternoon! It's another gloomy day in my neighborhood, waiting for the predicted rain to get started. We drove over to a nearby town to check out a new to us Shopko store. I was looking for a Ninjago Lego character for Kolby. We weren't impressed with the store at all, very small and not much merchandise. I can see why they come here to shop WM! They also have a K-Mart which is still going strong and has twice the merchandise as the other store but not the Lego character I was looking for. Bob did find some jeans with a higher back so he was happy, (no plumber's bu**!).

The concert last night was above and beyond exceptional! There were five guys and two gals playing different sizes of ukuleles. I did not know there are soprano, tenor, and bass ukulele instruments. The group is The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain; they played for the queen's 90th birthday party as well as world wide; they also sang and injected some comedy so it was a most enjoyable evening. They are making stops through Nebraska on their way to Colorado and further west. If you ever get a chance, do go see them! The Texas Tenors are coming this summer so we are definitely going to see them.

"Gma," I'm thinking we are never ever going to have a nice, sunny, warm spring day! It's just going to swing into humid and hot from these damp cold days. We used to have a regular four season year, but not much any more. I'm sure we will have the final basketball game on tv tonight. Bob was watching college girls play softball the other evening. The tv programming is just more of the violence on the networks or else politics. Both get old fast. Do you send the boys cash in the mail? I've always sent $2 bills in their birthday cards. When they were little they got a kick out of getting mail. Maddy has saved all of her's while Kolby can't wait to spend his, not sure about the other two. Speaking of grandkids, Ian's bedroom is in the lower level and he has his own bathroom. He slipped, fell in the tub, and put a hole in the side with his knee. Jason said they put duct tape over the hole until he can replace the tub. Ian had a couple of good scratches but otherwise unhurt. He felt really bad and kept apologizing. The dress is really cute; I hope it fits and you can keep it! How long will you be gone on the cruise?

I have laundry to fold and a couple more loads waiting so need to keep moving. Hope you all are enjoying a nice day!
  • Good morning to you all. It rained from yesterday late afternoon all night and it is raining this morning. It is very gloomy, but it is warm.

We went and got the cars washed, but Jack had to drive his to work this morning so it will get dirty again right away. Mine is safe and dry in the garage! I cleaned all the leather and wood and cleaned all the plastic stuff like the cup holders and such yesterday too so the inside is as clean as the outside. Jack vacuumed them both but with leaves and such the floor mats will get dirty again pretty quickly.

I never did get upstairs yesterday to clean those bathrooms. I must do that today. I am making chicken cordon bleu for dinner and that is easy so it should give me lots of time. They are frozen and ready to go into the oven and are only 6 pts apiece. They make a nice and easy dinner.

Jean: Poor Ian. I am assuming his tub is fiberglass? Jason should go to WM and get some of that rubber stuff they sell on tv. It is called Flex Seal and he can't get it in many forms and can even get it in colors now I think. It should do the trick. Sounds like the concert was great! I wished we had better stuff here. The stuff that comes to the FEDEX Forum has to work around ball games because basketball owns how it is run and such. The other places around town don't offer a great deal of good choices IMO. There's a lot of opera, classical and plays, but not a lot of things we would want to pay money to go see. The theater here is very old and so the seats are impossible to sit in for me and I have to go through getting handicap seats, which means calling them instead of the ease of online ordering. Our cruise is a 7 day cruise again and leaves on a Saturday, but we are leaving the Monday before. Our cruise isn't until September 16 though. I have enough pts on my Royal Caribbean credit card to get $450 in free onboard credit so won't have to spend any money with regards to drinks, souvenirs, shopping etc, on the ship. I got that credit card specifically to pay for the cruises so I would get onboard credit. I just pay for stuff that is cruise related then pay it off with the cruise money I save yet I get free money to spend aboard the ship that way. Anything that is paid for that is cruise related, ie the cruise, drink packages, excursions booked though RCCL stuff like that I get double points anything else single points. I get $50 for every $5000 spent and I have been accumulating them so I have a lot.

I better get some breakfast and get going. I have one more square of knitting in this green then can go to the darkest green and start all over again. Have a good day!
  • Good Afternoon! It's been another cloudy, misty day in my corner of the world. Yesterday we found out we are losing our pastor in June. This morning I had a chance to visit with him only to learn the move is not by his choice. His "boss," the district superintendent, is demoting him to a much smaller church, and pay, in Des Moines. Around the first of the year all Methodist pastors are given the options of wanting to move, wanting to stay, or open to either. He wanted to stay with us and when he came here five/six years ago, he told us he hoped to retire from our church. A shock and many of us are trying to decide what to do although he indicated he had no choice in the matter and the decision was a done deal. I had a dessert meeting at a bread and breakfast this afternoon. We had a tour of the old house along with the history of restoring it to the original house. It had been divided into apartments years ago; the couple moved here from SD and spent weekends for four years restoring this house. It is full of beautiful antique furniture and dishes. The hostess commented how much she loves dishes and has several sets of china. I made sure I was the last one to leave and asked her if she would like another set of china, telling her the history of my mom's dishes. As soon as I can put the whole set together, they will have a new home! I am so excited to think that someone will love and use them.

"Gma," Bob washed my car on Thursday and it rained on Friday. I've almost given up on having it squeaky clean because of our crappy weather. Sioux City has quite a few "big names" come but a lot of times the program doesn't start until 7:30/8:00, in the middle of the week, and that makes it late driving home. Will you be cruising to places you haven't been before? I'd still like to cruise to Alaska but it won't be next year since we have our Maui reservations. However, if a good summer deal would come along . . . . The cruise credit card sounds like a good deal. Does Jack get credit for being a veteran?

Now I need to dream up something for supper when I'm not hungry after a mid afternoon dessert. Hope you all enjoy a nice evening. I think we will have basketball on tv tonight!
  • Good morning to you all. Another rainy day yesterday but supposed to be nice and sunny today. It is in the 50's right now but supposed to get into the 70's and I'll take that for sure.

I did get upstairs and get some cleaning done. I need to dust up there. After we get back from the cruise we are going to rent a storage unit and going to start cleaning, pitching, giving away and storing stuff from upstairs. It is a horrible mess in both his office and extra bedroom and all three closets. We just don't have room to store stuff. We have an attic, but it tends to leak and all they do is patch jobs and the garage is like a lake when it rains and they won't fix them so we have no where safe to store things and I am fed up with the mess. I have a lot of clothes, shoes, and handbags and have bought things to organize, but until I get things given to Salvation Army and/or put in storage I can't even use them. We will probably have to hire someone to help Jack move a couple heavier things into the storage unit as we have no one else to help us considering the situation. It is what it is so we will just deal with things alone!!!

The postman and delivery guys are not going to be happy with me. I have a ton of stuff all coming tomorrow. We had to buy a new portable ac unit for the upstairs as the compressor died on the one in the bedroom so I just had it shipped to the house. They didn't have one in stock and Jack said to have it shipped to the house rather than to the store and have to go pick it up. We bought one exactly like the one we have downstairs. It is a Honeywell so I hope it lasts for awhile. I also bought Jack a new printer for his new computer upstairs. The one he has is about 14 yrs old and still works on and off. That he has to go to WM and pick up. They had it the cheapest of anywhere and I wanted it shipped to the house, but when I got the confirmation it was marked shipped to store and pick up. I asked Jack if he wanted me to cancel it and start over and he said no he would just pick it up after work. If they get it there today he can go today. He is off work today as it is a pd holiday for city workers as it is the day MLK was shot. (eye roll here)

Jean: We always book directly with RCCL online and are supposed to get senior, our state, and a retired military discount, but it doesn't show as line items. You just get a final price so I don't know how it is broken down. We did get a good deal on this year's cruise though as it is showing $3000 more for the room that we paid. We are going Western Caribbean, which we have been other times, but we aren't going to get off the ship at all. Our experience with sightseeing excursions hasn't been great and once you go to a resort, well it's a resort and you can do everything on the ship you do at the resort except the beach and I get too sunburned to go to the beach. We will just enjoy the ship being almost empty instead. There are still things to do and since he and I are big planners, we have day to day what we want to do so on the days the ship is in port, we will do things that are too busy when it is out to see like the zip line, the flowrider, the slides, etc. I won't do any of those things, but Jack will. We can also do stuff like mini golf and such and they always have lots of stuff. I don't buy souvenirs as the boys don't really care about them. I did them for the first three cruises but that was it so I don't need to go shopping off the ship either. I will get something for my best friend on board the ship to send to her. I think about how much her husband always loved the stuff we would get them. It was his number one bucket list item and so it gave him a little taste of cruising with the gifts. I am so sorry about your pastor. That was one reason we didn't attend churches associated with groups. Well, Baptists preachers don't have that anyway. He either decides he wants to leave and leaves, or the church as a whole votes him bye bye.

Everyone have a good day. I am starting on my third color today. I will be glade when this thing is all knitted. It is so boring to just knit squares.
  • Good Afternoon! We saw the sun this morning but big puffy white clouds are moving in now. I spent the morning washing china and packing it in boxes. I will deliver it tomorrow! I found one small dish with a chip and thought maybe I could replace it. I found all the pieces I have online, except that one. I have two bowls that I would call the old style cereal bowls. Online they are called cranberry bowls which I've never heard of, selling for $149.99 a piece. Only two are available! Just for fun I added up the prices and the set is worth $1005 if anyone would buy it. I tried to find replacements for my grandma's china which Beth has, but there are very few pieces available. I need to take checks to the hospital and check on the card rack to see if there are any empty spaces. I/we still haven't picked a new card company so I need to get busy and pick one.

"Gma," I don't think one ever has enough storage space. The shelves where I kept the china are too high for me to reach without standing on a chair. Bob has threatened to rent a storage unit but so far nothing is happening. Little by little I am sorting through things but it takes a long time because I take the time to look and remember. Does the ac use water or do you have to empty water from it? I remember the old window air conditioners dripping water when I was a kid. We had one of the first because my mom had hay fever and asthma so the heat and humidity bothered her. I have to say I wasn't all that impressed with the excursions off the ship except to actually be able to say, "I was in Aruba, etc." I was most disappointed in the shops being closed on Sunday. I'm not sure if there will be an organized effort to keep our pastor or not. I will help if there is!

I need to deliver my checks to the hospital and vacuum the dust bunnies if I don't get anything else done today. Hope you enjoy the rest of a terrific Tuesday!
  • Good morning to you all. It is going to be windy today and a chance of showers again. Same for tomorrow then we are to have a sunny day so maybe I will wait until Friday to go and get my nails done. They've grown out fast this time.

I have a bunch of clothes coming today for the cruise. Some jean capris, a pair of cargo shorts and cargo capris and some tops. I also bought a couple more night shirts. I like them better than gowns. They seem to hold up better and for longer. I don't suppose I needed more clothes, but I bought them anyway. I am trying to take less clothing and shoes this year, but I am not sure I am making much headway on that. I did order two small handbags, one of which I will take on vacation. I decided I didn't need to take everything I take here at home, like I won't need my checkbook or other items I hardly ever use but take in case Jack wants something. I can put them in my hygiene bag, ie my nail clipper case and headache meds and such. I am always afraid of going through my clothes and running out, though I can send them to the laundry on the ship if need be.

I may or may not do some downstairs cleaning today. I had a hard night last night with terrible cramping in my ankles again. It is from the edema and I did put on my compression socks, but guess I left them on a bit too long or something. I think it is meds causing the swelling now so I may not be able to do anything about it. One of my new meds causing swelling in the feet and ankles as a side effect. I worry about getting my shoes on when we go on the cruise!

Jean: I hope the congregation does decide to try and keep your pastor if you like him. I wonder why he was demoted and if they are going to give you some old codger instead because he will make more money and "prestige" at a bigger church. Hope not for your sake. I never understood why ships leave so they are in port on Sundays as all the Caribbean countries close up shop on Sunday. They warn you when you book excursions. We have never gone on a cruise where we are in port on a Sunday except at the American port to begin with. No, you don't have to put water in them, but they do "catch" water you have to dump occasionally. We put the old broken one out to the trash yesterday afternoon thinking it probably wouldn't be picked up, but it was gone this morning and didn't even have all it's parts. I hope they don't bring it back!! I made Jack keep the hose and the sliding thing that goes in the window in case our current ac units get a hole or something breaks we have extra as they fit the same. They really do work well and a lot cheaper than central ac. I do wonder how hot we are going to be this summer though. Sometimes even the central ac can't keep up with the heat down here.

Everyone have a good Wednesday!
  • Good Afternoon! Another cloudy day in my corner of the world but so far no rain. Bob just finished fertilizing the yard so he is hoping for rain which was in last night's forecast. I delivered the china this morning and spent an hour visiting and enjoying fresh muffins and coffee. The B and B lady is delightful! Then I went back for a recheck on my eyes; the conclusion is my prescription has changed and I can go back to my contacts again. Yay! My regular checkup is in July so if there is no more change I will update with new glasses then. I have bell practice later this afternoon, last one until fall.

"Gma," I took a small crossover purse, just big enough for the room key, kleen-x, and the daily schedule sheet. I figured I could always go back to the room if I really needed something. Since I didn't have to have room for my phone, money, or sunglasses it worked pretty good. I could never get by with it anywhere else though. I visited with another church member this morning. Our pastor just turned 60 and plans to retire at 65. He's been here 5/6 years and she was of the opinion a pastor is never in the same church much longer than that. She also is of the thought it is a done deal and made the comment that she knew there were people who didn't care for him but also said that everyone would never be happy no matter who the pastor is. That is very true. She thinks the next one will be younger with more energy; we have not had an associate pastor this time and the lazy fat a** (excuse my language) person who was the office manager and is now supposed to be the pastor's helper, sits in her office. She took over when the last one left and she was so good making home visits and following up on people or families having health challenges, deaths, etc. People really liked her but she was from Utah and so homesick she moved back home. Anyhow, I hope someone new will shape up the so-called helper. Do you have central air too? The furnace guy told us to run the furnace fan constantly during the summer; since our bedrooms are upstairs he said it circulates the cool air better. We do that when it is really hot because our bedroom is on the west side.

Susan, hope you are moving easier and feeling better.

I'm off to do some more clothes sorting! Enjoy the rest of a wonderful Wednesday!
  • GRRRR I just lost my whole darn post. The internet is acting up this morning for some reason. I couldn't even log on earlier. It reset my router when I did a diagnostic, but it started acting up again while I was posting and just shut down. So we will try this again. It is cool today and no rain so I am going to go and get my nails done and get something for supper. I don't want anything I have in the freezer! We have all the shopping to do this weekend so will be running around doing that and I haven't made a menu or even started a grocery list so that will be on the agenda for today and tomorrow I think.

All my clothes came and they fit. The dress is jersey not cotton but it is cool and comfortable so that's all I care about. I bought cargo shorts and I never wear shorts. I just figured I am married, old, fat and not looking for a man so what do I care if my ugly calves are hanging out of a pair of shorts or that the pockets on the shorts make my thighs look bigger. Hahahahaha As Jack has gotten older he is more interested in my clothes. He always wants to see me in them and used to never care. So we have a little modeling show whenever I buy stuff. My Quacker Factory stuff is cute. I like the little short sleeved jacket with the tank. It will nice on nights that might be a bit cooler, but not cold.

Jean: When we had our ac unit fixed the last time the guy told us they put in a unit too small for a two story condo. Of course, because everything was cut rate we have found out. Anyway, he said to put in a new and bigger unit would require a bunch of new duct work and stuff in the attic so we decided just to go with the floor units. I posted a picture of what the units look like so you get more of an idea about what we use. We have one downstairs and two upstairs, one for his office and one for the bedroom. They can be moved around as they have wheels and they work for us. I sure hope you do get someone in the church who will make the lady do the job she is being paid for. Our ship this year has the discs where you swipe your card instead of inserting them. Also, suite guests get this stupid wrist bands like Disney where you can swipe them to get into the room, but it is the only place they work. You can't use them to buy anything. People who aren't suite holders and want them have to pay $6 apiece for them, which is ridiculous. I guess if you have kids it isn't a bad idea as they can get into the room without their key card but that's about it and it is stupid to have to pay for the dumb things. I noticed our tree has finally started sprouting tiny leaves. We need to get our leaf guy out here, but I may just put up with it until fall and have them come out then. I received this big fat envelope from the gastro place for the paperwork for the colonoscopy. Sheesh it is a good thing they sent it early, because it will take forever to fill out the darn thing. Medications, medical history, and on and on.

Susan hope you are up and around and doing well with your new knees!

Have a good day everyone!

• Good morning, ladies! Warm and humid today with storms on the way.

Pain around the knee is getting more bearable but still icing as much as I can and oxytocin every 4 hours. I have 2 hours PT in the morning and then again in the afternoon. I'm pretty wiped out after these sessions. I made it up and down 4 steps this morning...I have 13 at home.

More tomorrow.