Newcomers Start Here! IP Weekly Chat Thread started 11/13/16

You're on Page 9 of 31
Go to
  • I am still procrastinating about getting packet muffins made but while looking for the recipe in the 1st sticky thread here on 3FC I found the Mug Cake recipe that is made with the IP Choc Drink Mix -- not the mug cake packet.

I have never made a mug cake but I made it today - it was excellent -- very chocolatey and rich and as it cooled (I made it last for half an hour ) it became chewy. It was excellent - felt very decadent and as good as a restricted choc brownie.

Love it... here is the recipe for easy access, but it's also on the last page of the Fun with Packets thread -- you will see the link to that thread in the sticky thread of Ultimate Recipes. btw - this is one of Janeva's free recipes that she posted on her FB page - it is not robbed from her cookbook.

Chocolate Cake in a Mug

Ingredients:
    •1 package of Ideal Protein chocolate drink mix
    •1 egg white
    •1 tsp baking powder
    •1 tsp grapeseed oil
    •1/2 stevia packet
    •A dash of vanilla
    •1 tbsp. Walden Farms syrup (raspberry, caramel, or chocolate)

(serves one)

Instructions:

Pour the chocolate drink mix into a large microwave safe mug. Add enough water to bring to a slightly watery pudding consistency. Add egg white, baking powder, olive oil, stevia and vanilla while mixing vigorously until silky smooth. Place the mug in the microwave for three minutes on top of another plate. Carefully remove the mug from the microwave, drizzle with your Walden Farms syrup of choice, and enjoy!
  • Howdy guys! I'm new here and also new to Ideal Protein. I will be starting at the end of the month, and also getting an Orbera intragastric balloon. I'm not very good about exercising or eating right (especially since I work 10-12 hr shifts w/o a lunch break). I've been drinking Soylent for "lunch" since it doesn't require sitting down/time for chewing, so the shakes will be replacing that. Would like to get into a habit of working out regularly but not sure that is possible from what I've read with IP??? Goal weight is approx 85-90 pounds down from here. Looking forward to the journey with you guys!
  • Quote: Howdy guys! I'm new here and also new to Ideal Protein. I will be starting at the end of the month, and also getting an Orbera intragastric balloon. I'm not very good about exercising or eating right (especially since I work 10-12 hr shifts w/o a lunch break). I've been drinking Soylent for "lunch" since it doesn't require sitting down/time for chewing, so the shakes will be replacing that. Would like to get into a habit of working out regularly but not sure that is possible from what I've read with IP??? Goal weight is approx 85-90 pounds down from here. Looking forward to the journey with you guys!
    Welcome!
  • Quote: Howdy guys! I'm new here and also new to Ideal Protein. I will be starting at the end of the month, and also getting an Orbera intragastric balloon. I'm not very good about exercising or eating right (especially since I work 10-12 hr shifts w/o a lunch break). I've been drinking Soylent for "lunch" since it doesn't require sitting down/time for chewing, so the shakes will be replacing that. Would like to get into a habit of working out regularly but not sure that is possible from what I've read with IP??? Goal weight is approx 85-90 pounds down from here. Looking forward to the journey with you guys!
  • Hi Ladies! I was a regular a couple years ago and lost 112lbs. Still maintaining but the weight started creeping back up after surgery I had last year with a lengthy recovery. I am a couple weeks into P1 and currently at 157 with a goal of 140. This is lower than I've gone previously but my coach really feels like this is the right weight for me so I am going to give it a try.

So good to see so many familiar faces still supporting one another. The boards go so quiet for a long time. Hope to support everyone in their journey!
  • Quote: Hi Ladies! I was a regular a couple years ago and lost 112lbs. Still maintaining but the weight started creeping back up after surgery I had last year with a lengthy recovery. I am a couple weeks into P1 and currently at 157 with a goal of 140. This is lower than I've gone previously but my coach really feels like this is the right weight for me so I am going to give it a try.

So good to see so many familiar faces still supporting one another. The boards go so quiet for a long time. Hope to support everyone in their journey!
    So glad to see you here - sorry you have some pounds to lose but glad you came here to support and be supported on the journey!

I have to re-lose virtually all that I lost before - eating emotions sucks - but I seem to be emerging from the doldrums and I am back going to a clinic and seeing a coach. I think I am on a good path.

We have a dedicated little group of posters here -- i think we can rally one another to success!
  • Today I made some IP Packet muffins with Wildberry Yogurt drink mix, crispy cereal (pulverized), and 2 pancake packets -- I added a cup of shredded zuke - microwaved for 5 mins, drained and cooled, and I used 9 tblsp of liquid egg whites - a tsp of vanilla and a packet of stevia..... did not need any water, but if I had needed it I would have used sparkling water - the whole point is to get to a muffin batter texture. I used some silicone baking cups set up in my muffin tins -- and all this made 12 muffins - Baked at 350 for 17 minutes. Three muffins make one serving, and I have a little tiny cup of WF Maple Syrup for dipping them. What a yummy IP meal! And I have 3 more servings at the ready to use over the next few days!

Lisa (former moderator and venerable IP program aficionado) posted some recipes for IP Packet Muffins and annotated to discuss a bread version..... I copied it into the message here for easy access by any interested newbies.... enjoy!

IP Packet Muffins

1 IP packet. Dry. Unprepared. You can use potato puree, oatmeal (protithin has unrestricted), or puddings such as banana, lemon, or chocolate.

1-2 egg whites (I use 1 - from the carton so I don't waste yolks). Whipped until frothy but not until peaked.

.5 tsp baking powder

1 c shredded raw zucchini, then either sauteed or microwaved for 5 minutes. It reduces and you'll have to drain it (and cool it so it doesn't cook the egg whites)

Seasonings as preferred (depending on flavor. Vanilla is good in oatmeal, so is pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon. Garlic & pepper is good in potato rolls. A few poppy seeds add a nice boost to lemon)
    Spray nonstick muffin tin. Do not use papers. Protein STICKS!
    Bake 350 for 15-20 minutes. Watch them carefully. Every oven is different. Mine is different depending WHERE in the oven!

1 packet makes 3 muffins for me. And yes, they fall a bit.
    I usually make a dozen (4 servings) at once (pictured)
    This recipe can omit the zucchini. The texture is very different.

ETA: I have been making this with four potato purée packets and putting the batter in a 9 x 9 square pan. One-fourth of the pan makes a nice piece of focaccia-type sandwich bread to slice open and then fill with veggies and either cauliflower hummus or mockamole as the spread (4 packets = 4 servings...lunch for most of the week!)
  • Week 2 loss of 1.3kg! Happy with that! Will read above posts now too
  • CTC - great to hear from you! I'll be anxious to hear about getting down to 140 and comparing that to if you had tried that the first time. I think there is a lot of anecdotal evidence to getting to an ultimate goal by cycling so I'll be curious to find out your thoughts on that. I am coincidentally planning on setting my goal about 10 pounds more than last time as people told me I looked like I aged and I do look gaunt in pictures that were taken at that time.

Cheryl - Thanks for sharing and glad to read that you are so organized. Keep up the great work!

For everyone else here, I strongly encourage to search and read through recipe postings and any other insights you may be looking for as there is such a wealth of info here and making recipes like Cheryl described really makes this program a lot more enjoyable, fulfilling and interesting.
  • Quote: CTC - great to hear from you! I'll be anxious to hear about getting down to 140 and comparing that to if you had tried that the first time. I think there is a lot of anecdotal evidence to getting to an ultimate goal by cycling so I'll be curious to find out your thoughts on that. I am coincidentally planning on setting my goal about 10 pounds more than last time as people told me I looked like I aged and I do look gaunt in pictures that were taken at that time.

Cheryl - Thanks for sharing and glad to read that you are so organized. Keep up the great work!

For everyone else here, I strongly encourage to search and read through recipe postings and any other insights you may be looking for as there is such a wealth of info here and making recipes like Cheryl described really makes this program a lot more enjoyable, fulfilling and interesting.

Gosh - Ro - thanks for the compliments and vote of confidence.
    I have to go for a weigh in tomorrow because I cannot make it to the clinic on Wednesday. I have been working hard to stay on program and chill on the Vanilla Squares - those things are addictive!!! Hoping for another pound down or 2... I think this re-do of IP is happening a little slower for me right now.

In addition to making muffins today I made a large roasting pan of mixed veggies - cauliflower, baby sweet peppers, elephant garlic, scallions, and mushrooms! I love that mix of veggies done in the oven, and can eat them as a side dish or I can put them in soup or I can add them to eggs and egg whites to make an omelette as my natural protein meal. I highly recommend!

I did an inventory of my protein foods today before placing an order for IP stuff, and since I have plenty of wildberry yogurt mix, I may try that as a morning shake -- I have frozen rhubarb that I bought last Fall and chopped and froze myself. The two mixed up in the Ninja with some ice make for an excellent shake? I think I add a bit of stevia too as the rhubarb can be pretty tart. Another recommendation from me....

Let's have a good week, everyone!
  • My iherb order arrives today and I have just had the Quest BBQ protein chips and they are amazing!!

Are these seriously a valid alternative?

Totally 100% satisfied my savoury, crunchy desires. I could eat these every single day, happily!
  • Quote:
    I did an inventory of my protein foods today before placing an order for IP stuff, and since I have plenty of wildberry yogurt mix, I may try that as a morning shake -- I have frozen rhubarb that I bought last Fall and chopped and froze myself. The two mixed up in the Ninja with some ice make for an excellent shake? I think I add a bit of stevia too as the rhubarb can be pretty tart. Another recommendation from me....

Let's have a good week, everyone!
    Here's a suggestion for the rhubarb - put frozen rhubarb in crock pot on low for about 5 hours with some lemon juice, a little sweetener, and WF strawberry syrup and/or WF raspberry spread. Tastes like the inside of a pie and requires no effort. I made this last Thursday after I got my order of rhubarb from Northwest Foods. I ordered 3 pounds and they come in 2 1.5 pound bags. One bag makes about 2.75 servings of 2 c vegetables. I had it Thursday night, and it was a nice treat when I got home from the airport tonight.
  • Quote: Here's a suggestion for the rhubarb - put frozen rhubarb in crock pot on low for about 5 hours with some lemon juice, a little sweetener, and WF strawberry syrup and/or WF raspberry spread. Tastes like the inside of a pie and requires no effort. I made this last Thursday after I got my order of rhubarb from Northwest Foods. I ordered 3 pounds and they come in 2 1.5 pound bags. One bag makes about 2.75 servings of 2 c vegetables. I had it Thursday night, and it was a nice treat when I got home from the airport tonight.
    Sounds yummy! of course some of that with some Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal on top would make a yummy crumble I think...

I am going to plant some rhubarb this year - I might not get a harvest for a year but I am going to try growing it - I think it might be pretty easy to grow.

I had my weigh in today - cannot go at my week 2 milestone on Wednesday due to schedule conflict so I went a couple days early this week, and I won't go back for WI #3 until Wednesday next week -- Feb 1st (eeek!!! already?)

Anyway - down 1 lb and 3/4 of an inch -- slow going slog happening here... total loss is 8.8 lbs in 12 days. Nothing to cry about but I hope I can get back into the 2-3 lb range most weeks.

I am all in though, even if it's going to be slow going. Goal this week is to reduce the extra sweetener - I use a lot of stevia in coffee and very diluted iced tea to flavor my water. Gotta quit that and I think I want to back off of Vanilla Squares and just have a restricted a couple times a week. We will see if that helps me.
  • Well, another weigh-in down. This week was only 3lbs,which I was actually surprised it was that much since I had a really bad weekend. So I'm exactly 10lbs down from my starting weight, which is really encouraging. She did warn me that because of my cheats this weekend next week may not show any loss, or at least not a good loss. *sigh* I just have to buckle down and force myself to stick to the protocol exactly. I've also lost 2lbs of muscle since starting so she wants me to add 2 to 3oz extra protein each day to try to stop that.

Is there a more appropriate thread for posting updates?
  • So glad I found this forum. I'm in Week 1 of IP, and am so encouraged by the posts! I just need to hit the lotto and hire a chef who can cook dinner for me and plan my meals LOL. Seriously though, I will have to get into the variety of IP a bit later, because of my work schedule. However, so far I'm ok with the omelette, cappucino drink, brick chicken and veggies.

Melissa