Dumb 3/4 length sleeves in plus sizes: Does anyone else hate?

• My thoughts on the 3/4 sleeve - which I dread, but all I encountered at three stores:

I went shopping this past weekend to spend some birthday money. I am far from ideal weight, but was tired of all my old items. I went to a major national dept store and pulled things off the rack that I liked colors/prints of - imagine my horror when about 3/4 of the items I pulled to try were with stupid 3/4 length sleeves. And why do they load the plus size department with such sleeve lengths? They don't in the misses or juniors, just the plus size. What gives? I loathe the sleeve length. I am from the upper midwest, I like a long sleeve when it's cold, I don't roll my sleeves up (thats another peeve - the old button and strap for plus size for sleeve roll up). I just want to know if any of the rest you find this design style a pain in the butt? And totally not flattering or essential.

I will also add - I hate tunics with no shape, maternity style tops for plus (gathers over the belly area/empire waist treatment), and limited colors (how much black or gray can one own?). I'd love to see lots of nicer options at all price points.

Sorry to post on this topic, I just wish designers and buyers for these stores would demand different things that were classic or stylish and consider though we may be of higher weight, something flattering is really a mood booster and maybe just maybe spur us to continue to reshape our bodies. Ugh - I hope the rest of you have better shopping experiences in your areas of the world. The place I had the best luck was Old Navy for sleeve length in the end, but that was all casual wear.
  • I LOVE 3/4 length sleeves. I can't find enough of them!
  • I love 3/4 length sleeves for 2 reasons. I have short arms for my size, and all long sleeves have to be rolled up or hang over my hand and look sloppy. The other reason is that I have psoriasis on my elbows, so I like 3/4 length sleeves rather than short sleeves for summer.

As far as full figure clothes are concerned, my complaint is that the designers, and I use that word loosely, seem to look for the ugliest material they can find to make the full figure clothes. Why can't they just make the same clothes they make for misses, but in larger sizes? Is that so hard?

I suggest looking online for some full figure catalog sites. I get a lot of catalogs in the mail, although I don't order from them, and they do have some nice things. You may have to look around a bit to find what you're looking for.

Good luck to you.
  • I actually LOVE them, especially the material and print that mimics the DVF vibe.

What stores are you visiting? I tend to have luck at the plus size sections of department stores.
  • I can't tell you how much I love 3/4 sleeve length. And I love tunics! If they're frumpy or shapeless I cinch them with a belt.

I roll up all my sleeves when indoors. I'm a little short so long sleeves make me look lost in my clothes and I especially try to avoid sleeve length that ends at the hem of my shirt - that would make me look like a box.

Come on ladies, plus sized clothes have come a long way. I ship at torrid, eloquii, city chic, and lots of other great online plus sized stores that I have found on health at every size and body positivity blogs.
  • I haaaaaate the 3/4 length sleeve - give me a short sleeve or a long sleeve! It does seem to be something unique to the plus size ranges...as in big girl clothes have wat more 3/4 sleeves than the regular ranges. Maybe it's because wrists are typically a slim part of our bodies and manufacturers think we like to show them off?
  • Quote: I haaaaaate the 3/4 length sleeve - give me a short sleeve or a long sleeve! It does seem to be something unique to the plus size ranges...as in big girl clothes have wat more 3/4 sleeves than the regular ranges. Maybe it's because wrists are typically a slim part of our bodies and manufacturers think we like to show them off?
    It is not unique to plus size, it's all clothes for everyone because it is a very flattering sleeve length.
  • I actually like 3/4 length. I don't like short sleeves but find that full length sleeves make me look boxy/unfeminine.
  • Quote: It is not unique to plus size, it's all clothes for everyone because it is a very flattering sleeve length.
    I have to say I don't notice it nearly as much when I fangirl the regular sized clothes, at least where I live!
  • I love ¾ sleeves during the late fall through early spring. I think it has to be the right ¾ length and the right fabric & fit to work.

I have a hard time finding short sleeve and elbow sleeve tops in plus size, they are readily available in Misses sizes.

I buy close to 70% of my clothes online, just can't fit what I want in the stores. Now the trend is off shoulder & cold shoulder, I can't wear those tops to work.

I have bought a few long sleeve & ¾ sleeves tops and cut/hem the sleeve to make it elbow or short sleeve.
  • I kind of like 3/4 sleeves for some occasions. I have a shirt of that type I was considering this morning because it was a little cool and rainy out and I didn't want to wear a short sleeve shirt.

I love tunics, also. I have a freakishly long 21" torso and normal women's shirts are way too short on me. A tunic length shirt looks about right on me, so I seek them out.
  • I personally don't mind a 3/4 sleeve because my upper arms are pretty fat. I do hate the fact that most plus sized clothes are just ugly. Terrible patterns, no shape and just all around ugly!!