Alternative Work Outs

• Hi all

I can't be the only one who goes through periods of gym-exhaustion - when I just get bored out of my mind at the thought of walking through the doors of my gym, or fed up with my gym/machine/weight based routines. And I think, long term, I need new activities I actually enjoy and look forward to doing (not that I don't sometimes enjoy the gym, or always enjoy the feeling that follows).

So, Summer is a good time to try some new stuff out, and I'm looking for ideas or opening it up for people to share their experiences of alternative activities.

One thing I'm excited about trying this year is stand up paddle boarding. I've actually been wanting to do it for a couple of years, but the season has somehow passed me by twice. Not this year! Does anybody here do it? Any advice or feedback?

I also enjoy hiking, swimming (although, more splashing around than doing laps)...and biking, except I live somewhere SUPER hilly and that takes the fun out of it for me.

I've always wanted to learn some form of martial arts...but just want to do the *** kicking, not the *** getting kicked part...:P

What else is there?
  • What I do is mix things up when I get bored.
    NordicTrack ski machine while watching tv
    Biking
    lift weights
    body weight exercises
    walk the dog
    play golf (walking/no carts)
    drumming
  • SUP is good fun - just make sure you really pay attention to your technique when you're learning. It's easier to learn good skills slower than it is to unlearn bad habits later. 😉

You may also enjoy climbing - it's a great activity for adding muscle without lifting weights. Rowing (either machine or actual boat) is another good one.

Have fun, be safe, and don't try to do too much all at once! 😊