My WLS

• I'm quite young, 24. I believe I had my surgery (gastric bypass) when I was 20 at my heaviest weight. I've struggled with my weight my entire life.
    I dieted, I exercised, and I definitely ate less than most people around me while making sure not to be in too low a calorie level, and I was still a whale.
    At 352 lbs I decided to have weightloss surgery.
    The recovery was awful, I was a college student at the time and many of my meals did not stay down. *They sometimes still don't stay down* I puked most of my first year out of surgery. I had only lost about 60 lbs.

I ended up losing down to 240 lbs two years after the surgery, I was studying abroad at the time. When I returned to the U.S. I dealt with a lot of deaths in my life and big changes and ended up going on anti-depressants. I also got hooked on smoking pot for awhile. I jumped up to 275. I was at a loss at this period, probably the worst I've ever felt in my life. Around the end of 2014 it perked up, I got off the anti depressants and stopped smoking pot.

In 2015, I joined a gym, started a new job overseas, and watched what I ate a little more. I'm teetering at the 260 level. I've considered going in for an 'adjustment' but the recovery was so painful and uncomfortable for me that I would just rather not.

I just want to say, sometimes it doesn't work. I was unlucky enough for it not to fully work. I only lost some of the weight I had, and it definitely helped me, but I'm still morbidly obese.
    I'm not sure what else could be wrong. I don't exercise as much as I'd like to but I eat very cleanly. (Minimal sugar, fresh vege and fruit, high protein, very low carb) I make sure I get enough calories as well.
    I'm working overseas right now or I'd probably get checked again to see if they could find anything wrong. Although, after all these years there hasn't been much luck.

Just thought I'd share my story. If someone asked me if I'd do it again I would probably say no, there was a lot of discomfort for little reward. I still have trouble keeping down foods *random foods. Somedays it's fine otherdays my body decides to be a jerk* so I probably puke meals out maybe twice a month still?

If you want to do it, my only suggestion is stay as much to the rules as you possibly can. Exercise more than the rules say you should and take advantage of that honeymoon weightloss period!
    (about 3 1/2 years post op right now)
  • Hi Jinxbrand and welcome to 3FC

Thank you so much for sharing your story. You are very smart for suggesting to people to stay as much as possible to the rules.. I AGREE!!!! and to lose as much during the honeymoon phase as possible... true words!!

I am so sorry for the losses you have endured, I really do understand. I had lost 150 lbs with out surgery when I was in my early 20's, kept it off for 13 years, until my sister died. I gained most of it back because of depression. The mind is a powerful weapon. To me, it sounds like your surgery did work, you got down to 240 and you probably would have lost more if unexpected things didn't happen, so I would not say your surgery failed you, it just sounds like you had a major setback, to which I can relate. Can I ask you... did you have a support group after your surgery? The reason I ask is because our brain need care just as much as our bodies need it. Especially after such a traumatic surgery. If we have surgery and are let loose (for lack of a better word) we are set up for failing. For me there was little aftercare to help "train the brain." (I had surgery 10 years ago).

I believe you can do this again. I believe you deserve to be healthy and happy, I hope you do too.