Fabulous at Fifty+...A Home for those of us 50 and older on IP! Volume 14

You're on Page 8 of 10
Go to
  • Quote: Just posting a very interesting (and somewhat heavy duty science) site many will find helpful: ketosummit.com
    Register for free and they will send you the links to over 30 interviews with docs/scientists etc on the latest ketogenic/LCHF diet information/studies.
    The encore interviews are free to view on Oct 5 and 6. Each interview is approx 1 hr long.
    I've posted this in several comments but it's because I've been listening for the past week and it's extremely educational on many different related topics - neurodegeneration, athletic performance, diet stalls and helpful tweaking, easier maintenance, fixing metabolic syndrome, benefits and how-to's of metabolic flexibility, etc.

Liana
    I am so glad you shared this - glad to learn more about the science, too. I signed up for the digital access after the event is over - I don't have enough time to listen to everything this week, but I want to get back to it when I can focus.

btw -- have you seen the new DietBet,com competitons that are based on steps (as in walking)? You could earn some real money with those.... I think of you whenever I get an email blast from DietBet that features the step challenges!
  • Hi Cheryl: re: DietBet step challenge. It would probably be a good thing except that I am in a cell service desert at my house, lol. We are tucked into the side of a mountain 'around the corner' from the nearest tower (we are rural - 20 minutes out of town). I have to lean over my deck or sometimes go down my driveway to get connectivity, so often I don't bother to turn my phone on til I leave the house, which means that it sits on the counter and does not count my steps or sync to any site as I don't have a data plan (I use free WiFi at hotspots in town if necessary). It does work like a charm to count my activity when I am in town as long as I stick it in my back pants pocket and don't just leave it in my purse. It seems to not catch all my movement when suspended in the purse. I do find it informative when I am at work though, where I must have my patrol phone and my personal phone on me at all times.
    I am too cheap for a fitbit, lol.
    I do have an actual pedometer, but find that I am too much of a glider when I walk and it often misses steps unless it's attached to my sock. Of course I don't want to wear socks with everything, lol, as I don't think it's a good look for a 52 y. o.

Liana
  • I am sorry you cannot do diet bet for steps -- you could kill it and earn enough for multiple fitbits!
  • Haha, Cheryl, I actually have a FitBit-ish sort of wrist device, but hate wearing it. I always wear a watch (way easier than pulling out the phone all the time) but they are pieces of jewellery for me (I have over a dozen in different metals and leather colours, etc). I hate the look of the tracking devices.
    Another problem is my phone can't track my aquafit, lol. Well, probably there's a way to enter data, but I don't care enough about tech to find out.
    Hope your day is going well!
    I was up about 4 lbs after adding MCT oil and Intermittent Fasting to my routine. It's really only been a full week today. Happily I am back down to start level from last week and we'll see how things go in the next few weeks.

Are you back to dancing again? I haven't noticed you mention it lately. I so love to dance, anything and everything, except I don't think I could physically handle Hip-Hop at this point in my life
    Liana
  • Quote: Haha, Cheryl, I actually have a FitBit-ish sort of wrist device, but hate wearing it. I always wear a watch (way easier than pulling out the phone all the time) but they are pieces of jewellery for me (I have over a dozen in different metals and leather colours, etc). I hate the look of the tracking devices.
    Another problem is my phone can't track my aquafit, lol. Well, probably there's a way to enter data, but I don't care enough about tech to find out.
    Hope your day is going well!
    I was up about 4 lbs after adding MCT oil and Intermittent Fasting to my routine. It's really only been a full week today. Happily I am back down to start level from last week and we'll see how things go in the next few weeks.

Are you back to dancing again? I haven't noticed you mention it lately. I so love to dance, anything and everything, except I don't think I could physically handle Hip-Hop at this point in my life
    Liana
    I have not really been dancing for a year now -- my last dance classes were in October 2015 and then my husband went back in the hospital with a diagnosis of 'failure to thrive,' and when he came home there was a need for a lot more caregiving. Things never got back on a good footing, and then the worse his situation became the more I was eating to numb the stress and emotions and therefore the bigger I was becoming. I did not have the strength of purpose to be seen having re-gained so much weight, so I have not been back to the dance studio. I hope to make a reappearance around the holidays - and I hope by then to be down somewhat in size.

I love dancing, too, and I would like it to be part of my exercise routine.
  • Cheryl, I hope you are getting ready to put on your dancing shoes. Don't focus too much on the election craziness, it will ruin 3 out of every 4 years of your life 😥. I hope things are plugging along for the rest of us +50s. Greetings to all.
    Liana
  • Hi Liana, Cheryl, and other 50+ers.

All is very well with me. I'm 21+ pounds down on my reboot from mid-August. Going strong with 20 more to go. Yesterday a friend offered to take me to lunch on Tuesday, my birthday, and I agreed, happily. When she mentioned the Thai restaurant, I said I was on P1. She said, "Even on your birthday?" Of course! So we'll go to the Japanese restaurant. A real treat for me to have some wonderful sashimi.

Yup - even on my birthday. And that's a good birthday present!

Have a wonderful day, everyone!

• WOO HOO Joysh!! Good going!! Feels great eh? And nothing wrong with sashimi. I've been doing keto and intermittent fasting these past 3 weeks and the same 3 lbs are repeatedly going up and down BUT I have been svelting, lol, and am fitting back into more of my tight jeans. I am doing a No Nonsense November challenge on MFP and taking my measurements weekly to track changes so we will see how it goes. There will definitely be room for my long johns under my uniform pants this winter again. And hopefully I'll be a bit smaller for Jamaica in December (although they do like the bootylicious gals there ).
    Yah, Mon!
    Hello to all the rest of the 50+ gals!
    What a world series game 7! DH and I were having dinner in the pub (chicken breast with Jack cheese and banana peppers w. Caesar salad - no croutons - and a dirty martini) and left in the bottom of the 5th... We missed all the amazing stuff.
    Liana
  • Hey Liana! That was a good game!

And I'm down one more pound. I'm happy losing one a week, although 2 would be fine, also. But as long as it's going down, I'm a happy camper!

I spent the weekend in Houston, babysitting the 5-yr-old twin granddaughters, so that kept me busy - and moving.

Have a great day, all!
  • Ooouuw, Joysh 5 year old twins - such a fun age (old enough to have personalities, lol), still young enough to find the simple things fun.
    Congrats on down another lb!
    Liana
  • hi
    just wondered what part of BC you are in that doesnt have good cell service. or do you just live a bit out of town?
  • Quote: hi
    just wondered what part of BC you are in that doesnt have good cell service. or do you just live a bit out of town?
    I live a bit out of town which isn't too much of a problem except for two spots along the road through the valley to town. Where I live, tucked against the mountain 'around the corner' from the nearest cell tower, and below 'the Cliffs' another area where the tall cliff blocks cell service for a couple kms.

Sometimes it's a pain when my friends text me all the time and forget I have a land line. So hey, "if I don't text you back within a half hour, I'm probably at home, phone my land line, lol."

Liana
  • Whelp.... I pulled out my under-bed-box of summer capris and shorts and a couple of the denim shorts I didn't think I'd be fitting into are lookin' pretty hot and not squooshing any body bits either, so I'm a happy camper. Only a couple more days til the Jamaica trip and packing is coming along nicely.
    The only problem with traveling as you get older is the amount of medical supplies and supplement/medication bottles you need to take with you in your carry on, lol. Gone are the days of 'no checked luggage' for us. Hubby has a health issue that necessitates bulky supplies that we cannot rely on getting in foreign countries and we don't want to travel just to the US/Canada. At least it's mainly inconvenience and not something that affects the cost of our travel medical insurance. Sunshine and 30 degrees C... here I come!

Liana
  • Thank you, Liana for the intro to this thread. As I explained in another post, I'm 56 years old and new to IP. I began on 11/1/16 and have lost 11.6 pounds in the past month. I am/was a bit discouraged at how slow it's going but I'm starting to turn the corner and accept that it's not going to go as fast as them there youngins.

The first week I was down 6.6 so the 11.6 over a month was not really spread out evenly.

I am liking the IP plan, finding hunger and cravings to be almost non-existent. Except for the siren song of a glass of wine during the weekends, but so far I've said "no."

I enjoy reading the posts here and following along with other's successes and difficulties.

Happy Tuesday, everyone!
  • Good morning, you crazy kids.

I'm a 49 year old man who just started on IP (again). I went 2 weeks a while ago but wasn't mentally dedicated. After Thanksgiving break where I saw my father, I decided to get back on the plan. I love my dad dearly, but his 5'8" 300+ lbs body is breaking down rapidly and his anger is off the charts. He use to be the funniest guy in the room...now, the angriest and outspoken about it. I just don't want to be that way. Not today, Not tomorrow. Not ever!

With all that being said, I'm a little overwhelmed by the entire IP idea. I'm not much of a cook and have NO recipes to assist me. Can anyone provide me to some recipe links for Phase I? I'm desperate. I eat bland vegetables and I am NOT fond of vegetables at all, probably because they are usually bland...BLECH!

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you and have a blessed day!