The worst cravings when watching food on tv ....

• So far i've conquered most of the triggers that set off my binge eating.. I switched to atkins mocha coffee shakes for nighttime cravings. I stock the house with 90 calorie snacks, i fill up on fruit , and drink plenty of water. I write, or exercise when i'm struggling with severe anxiety ( i'm an emotional eater too) . However, the worst is watching my favorite food either being prepared, or eaten on a tv show i love ....I watched a series not too long ago where they were making french toast, went out and bought a smart ones french toast meal, but i really hate that it has this hold over me ... It sucks, because that's when i feel deprived, when i'm reminded of what food i can't have.. Yes, I've placed restrictions on the food i really like, there's no way i can eat it without consuming more than i set out to eat ....

Does anyone have this problem?

btw i realize that some people don't watch tv, and that's cool, but i have shows that i'm absolutely addicted too, when i 'm not reading, i watch them online.
  • Yes! I can't watch food programs or even look at pictures of decadent food in magazines or online. Pinterest is really difficult for me. I am fine with the healthy foods and recipes. It's the comfort foods and sweets that get to me!
  • It's unfortunately because just like scantily clad women, food is all over the tv screen. What a mixed message right? The only time I get swayed by food on tv is when I'm restricting myself too much. This is the reason I cannot and will not diet anymore, intuitive eating has taken care of that.

However, I find that I associate sitting on my couch and watching tv with binge eating. Everytime I sit to watch tv I think about popcorn or chips or a sandwich or nachos or whatever I used to binge on. Switching seats has put an end to that. I eat all my meals at a table like a person, snacks too.

So over restriction combined with hunger and a comfy place that reminds you of past over eating could be a bad combination for you. Switch things up - take a snack with you that is both healthy and delicious. Instead of nachos dipped in yellow cheese sauce (one of my worst habits) I have cheese and crackers. I've found these delicious rosemary crackers that are perfect with blue cheese or a sharp cheddar. Instead of brownies have a square of dark chocolate with some roasted salted almonds. These foods are rich and decadent but they also provide nutrients and they won't blow your whole day. Portion control is a powerful tool you can use in your favor.

And maybe if seeing food on tv is a problem for you then switch to watching the real housewives - those ladies are always out at dinner at parties and restaurants but you never EVER see them put anything in their mouths lol.
  • Well.. It's usually just when i'm watching my favorite shows.. It's not soo much being too restrictive over what i'm eating, they're just mental cravings.. I'm not actually hungry..

I do believe in dieting.. I am on a diet.. Before it can become a lifestyle change for me, i have to limit, and learn to control what i eat.. This adjustment period is a diet.. I'm transitioning into a new lifestyle from my old unhealthy one.. So that's a title that i totally claim ..

Ugh .. The real housewives, no thanks.. I mean food is going to be around me whether i watch tv or go out to dinner with my family, and friends.. It's my last remaining trigger, but like the others , i'm learning to control it so i don't have to cut out everything... ..