Your going be to skinny comeback

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I have been getting comments on how I better not lose any more weight and they don't want me to get to skinny.im looking for comebacks especially since that's laughable and I have a lot of body fat to get rid of and replace with muscle
  • Just tell them you are focused on body fat percentage, not the scale number. That usually shuts people up because what can they say to that? You should keep excess fat? Even "skinny" people can often stand to lose fat from a health perspective...

Good luck with your goals!

ETA: I don't know what your current weight is but if you are close to your goal, then people just aren't used to seeing you 50 pounds less than you used to weigh and think you are getting too "skinny". Give them time. Plus 120 pounds for someone 5'1" is not too low at all, it is a perfectly reasonable goal. You could whip out the BMI numbers if people are giving you a hard time. But it's really nobody's business but your own how much you weigh, as long as you aren't being unhealthy in your methods of weight loss.
  • If it's a close family member or good friend who is expressing genuine concern, then I think it's appropriate to discuss things like how much and how healthfully you are (or are not) eating, what your goals are (weight, fitness, fat %, etc).

If it is anyone outside your innermost circle, laugh it off and dismiss it with something like, "Oh I'm sure I'll be just fine" or "Oh, I'm sure you have something better to worry about!" Your body is really nobody's business -- would they say, "Oh you better watch out or you'll get too fat!" Frankly, I think it's creepy when someone like my father-in-law or a co-worker comments on my body.

At one point I was down to 120 and got comments like, "You're wasting away" or "Skinny mini!" I just laughed and said, "Well it turns out I shouldn't eat cupcakes every day!" But when a friend/neighbor quietly took me aside and asked if I was OK, that she was worried, I took that to heart.
  • Very good suggestions above! I think it can be a compliment, or a conversation-maker, sometimes, for people to say things like that. I really agree with it possibly being an opportunity to educate people on what a good healthy weight really is. I mean, I didn't even hear of a BMI rating until after we bought the Wii!

I personally would just say, "Aw, you're so sweet," very happily, and mean it!
  • You could say that your focus is continuing a healthy active lifestyle and that your not just going to reverse your progress, if your body decides to drop a few more pounds it's because it's cleaning it's self out and because that's where it wants to be. Then reassure them by telling them or showing what you eat and all that jazz
  • Either ignore them, say "I'm fine. Thanks for your concern" or simply "Thank you."

They aren't worth the effort of a pithy retort.
  • Agree with the others, just say Thank you

This seems to happen a lot to people on this forum - that are within a healthy weight range - weird… maybe it’s a location based thing.
  • Quote: This seems to happen a lot to people on this forum - that are within a healthy weight range - weird… maybe it’s a location based thing.
    Krazy, I agree on the location thing! Possibly cultural as well. Everywhere I've lived, low weights are the ideal!
  • So today gran other said if I lost anymore weight she won't speak to me I should just tone. I hope she realizes the more body fat I lost the thinner I will look
  • Is she teasing? Is she overweight and speaking out of jealousy?

This kind of blows my mind. Can you imagine if you were gaining weight and she said, "If you get any heavier I won't talk to you?"
  • I get this all the time. The women at work seem to feel like they've been on my weight loss journey with me because they see me everyday. Which is sweet in a way but at the same time their input is not needed because often times they are backhanded compliments. "Ok you can stop now, you don't need to lose any more weight." Those comments get old really fast. I usually laugh it off and say something along the lines of "Don't worry, I live in my body and know what needs to be done." Or something along those lines. If they say it more than once I will take a more serious tone with the same reply.
  • I get it all the time--I think it's cultural. I just laugh or tell them my doctor says I'm healthy...
  • It's so very difficult to lose weight, for me, at least. I think some people feel very bad that, although they'd love to lose, they just cannot seem to do so. There may be a bit of sour grapes involved.

But, Skittles, your grandmother is no doubt coming from a place of love. Lots of hugs and reassurance may help.
  • All the comments to me were made in a dieting group. It just makes me mad, my Doctor wants me to lose even more weight and all these women who are trying to lose weight are the ones making the comments to me. My Doctor wants me to measure 35 inches around my belly I am currently 40 and a half inches around my belly. I have diabetes and high blood pressure (for a diabetic) and this puts me in a metabolic syndrome category with a high risk of heart attack and strokes.

The real danger here is that I start to believe what other people say, and that's what got me into quitting the diets again and again. I still avoid mirrors, so I use what others say rather than what I see.

I have thoughts of just pulling down my stretchy pants and letting the giant belly give them an eyeful. Or just carrying a note from my Doctor and whipping it out for them along with a tape measure. I could stop wearing pants that hold in my belly, but I would have to go buy some.

I love this group of feather weights it's the perfect place for a small-boned five foot two person.
  • Quote: I have been getting comments on how I better not lose any more weight and they don't want me to get to skinny.im looking for comebacks especially since that's laughable and I have a lot of body fat to get rid of and replace with muscle
    This is so interesting, I was just about to come on here and post about this. Comments like that are incredibly frustrating; I generally just laugh or placate them with an "Aww...". On the inside, I'm straight-up seething. It's my biggest pet peeve. When a close friend has asked, I've told them that my doctor says it's fine and I'm getting healthier. It's hard to argue with that.

Good luck dealing with the comments; it's one of the more challenging things for me. I'm so glad I have you all here on 3FC for support!