How often do people stop you when you are working out or running?

• I've noticed lately a lot of people stop me when I'm running to make comments or ask me questions. I'm not complaining since they are really nice about it. I actually take it as a compliment. I dont think I'd ever stop someone when their working out though. Does this happen to anyone else?
  • No one has ever stopped me in the middle of a workout. Well, maybe once. A guy gave me a high five. That was odd. I've had people comment "nice workout" or "hard workout!" or something when I walk into the gym locker room dripping sweat....But no, no one has ever stopped me to talk or ask questions or anything. But I also have headphones on too.
  • This has never happened to me, but I mostly work out at a gym. Does this happen to you when you are outside or at a gym? Very weird. I would never stop someone in the middle of a workout!
  • In the past, not when I've got headphones on, am lifting weights & am in the zone.

You probably look kind and helpful.

You need to practice a better resting b%$tch face. Then they'd find you unapproachable and keep to themselves.

;-)
  • I've been stopped by people, either to ask questions or to correct my form (one guy corrected my form incorrectly, and touched me. Hands off, dude).

I also stopped someone the other day, briefly. She was with a friend who was trying to get her to do box jumps and was literally 2 feet away from me...she was saying to her friend that she couldn't do it. I said, "I can tell you that it's about 10% being able to jump that high and 90% believing you can jump that high". I don't do it often but I faced the same box jump hurdle so I felt compelled to encourage
  • One time, right after I started my gym membership, I had a guy come up to me while I was running on the treadmill and start talking about how the best way to lose weight is to lift, not do cardio. Unsolicited advice, while I was in the middle of a workout, with headphones in. And I was already self conscious about my body and worried people would judge me while I was working out -- not what I needed!

It's happened other times too, mostly men coming up to me offering random nuggets of info. I must put off a "come talk with me" vibe!
  • This is different than your example, but I have two toddlers, and I work out at home with dvds - so I am often interrupted.
  • Also can anyone tell me how to get one of those weight loss tracker bars on my responses? I really want one of those.
  • I had a lady come up to me on the elliptical and ask me how much longer I had…. Oh and there were about two other ellipticals available, but I guess she needed to have the one I was on. I told her two hours, lol
  • Outside, all the time. Sometimes exercise related, mostly not.

In the gym, never. I'm all business.
  • Extremely rarely.
  • Only if they want the fan next to me...which is pgf, so i obviously am not using it.
  • Hasn't really happened to me where they stop me out of nowhere. Once in a while when I'm in between sets, someone might compliment me or ask me a quick question. Once in a blue moon maybe a guy might hit on me. Once in a blue blue blue moon the guy will be hot.

-Daniela
  • Can we all try growling at people if they interrupt us mid-workout?

It would be a useful social experiment.
  • I'm in on the growling thing. I run at a park that has a beach and a running trail. You would be amazed at how many people wind up missing the signs for the beach, happen upon me on the trail, and try to stop me to ask for directions.

Usually it's at the very end of my run when I'm running full speed trying to make a time goal. I'm looking at my Garmin and I have my headphones in. What about that scene says " This gal looks like a travel guide "?

They're lucky they get a grunt and a finger pointed in the direction of the beach.