How long to work out? What's your routine?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I think it depends on your expectations and how much weight you want to lose. If you haven't exercised in years, 25 - 30 minutes is just fine. Exercise to where you are exerting yourself, but don't over do it at first. Congrats on starting the journey.
  • Thanks love!
  • I do 2 miles which is 32 mins in the morning and then I do 1 mile on the same dvd thats 20 mins. I used to walk outside 30 mins to an hour but that was before winter hit. I work out every day.
  • My mom has a treadmill in her basement that I am thinking about using.I don't know if I could do 2 miles in thirty two minutes, is that at a normal walking pace or are you running? I can't run because my boobs are too big lol
  • Quote: As a beginner 25 minutes/day is good, especially if you are feeling comfortable and you like this DVD and don't find it too strenuous, since you've just started it's important not to overdo it, get injured and get discouraged...Everyone is different... As you get in better shape you'll want to change up your workouts and do different activities as to not get bored and to reach plateaus... You should change your workout at least every 4-6 weeks...

I personally go to the gym 2-3x/week I do a Group Power class which consists of weight training... I walk daily... In the summer I bike and kayak, in the winter I snowshoe.... This is all relative to having exercised regularly for 30 years...

As you lose weight, get in better shape you'll feel more confident in incorporating different exercises in your daily routine...

Wow 30 consistent years. I really wish I had such dedicated focus on my health.
  • Quote: At the higher weights (indeed at all weights) you have to watch your diet.

Trust me. I used to walk 2 miles a day and think that would burn off my 2x Big Mac and fries washed down with a large shake. It did not.

I only saw progress when I got my diet under control. (It took me two decades of obesity to get this!).

Exercise does wonderful things. But the primary method of weightloss should be diet.

Once you get that right, you can supercharge your loss with exercise.

And then there will come a point where you can "tone" your body with diet and exercise which requires a delicate balance in the what you exercise and the what you eat. But that comes later on.

At heavier weights, you have to first focus on losing the weight.

Through diet.
    Such great advise. I've got to say-- it's my first day on here and already I'm finding it refreshing to see people on here that know what it's like to fail that finally figured out how to succeed Their way.
  • Quote: Wow 30 consistent years. I really wish I had such dedicated focus on my health.
    Thank you! I'm pretty proud of that and at 58 (when I see it in print, man that's a high number lol) I am in pretty good shape in comparison to my friends of the same age... It is very doable, it just becomes part of your routine...
  • 30 minutes cardio, then weight training
  • Hello,

I have been a member of this forum for over an year. Last year I lost 35 lbs, all through walking at the treadmill 6x a week and 1 hr of Pilates 2x a week. I used to walk 45 min at speed 3.6 which is not very high but it did give me approx. 8 lb lost a month, maybe because of my high body weight. Then I totally stopped exercising for the past 6 - 7 months. I have restarted working out now, from the fitnessBlender site that someone in this thread already mentioned. I have for now started with beginner strength training workouts for 25 min. and I have started walking for another 25 min. I intend to do it 6x a week. I have started dietary modification too, and I am aiming at just losing 25 lbs for now -- somehow larger goals intimidate me to the point of wanting to skip doing anything at all! I hope my current workouts are sufficient, from the fitness blender workout, I seriously break out a sweat so I presume it is doing something...

Cheers and good luck!