IP Community Daily Chat Wed 10/22/2014

You're on Page 3 of 4
Go to
  • Quote: We grill year round, too . . . granted, we're in NC, so we don't see much winter weather . . .at least not enough to keep us from grilling out.

What does everyone do to ensure you are getting all your water in for the day?

While I decide what to do about our fridge (leaning towards a new one), we are just using bag ice and tap water . Yesterday, I had a jug (100 oz) that was filled with filtered water and figure that I can fill it up daily and use that as my measurement to ensure that I'm getting all my water in for the day - goal is to drink a full one each day. I've found it hard to make sure that I do since I like to have ice cold water and the ice takes up space in my cup.
    I use a free app on my I-phone called Waterlogged. That usually keeps me in line
  • Hey, darthkitten, here's an interesting breakfast recipe from MyFitnessPal.
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2014/09...s-sprout-hash/

Would work for any other meal too...
  • Quote: It's 'warm' in New Orleans, but they keep our office at like 50 degrees. I just bought a mini personal heater which I'm sure the management staff will gripe at me for having. I can't deal with being this cold up here though. I'll tell my direct boss that it will make me more productive.

Be patient! The scale will move and 3.5 down is a great weigh in!!!
    kissi: My office is a deep freeze. I have little space heater and no one has complained. Sometimes people come in my office just to warm up. I am in TX so it's not really cold here yet. I ended up having to leave my book club meeting on Monday night because we met at a restaurant and I was sitting right under the vent. Of course they had the A/C on. I tried moving to away from the vent but I was miserable. Today I am wearing a sweater, a top, a cami under the top and running my heater. I'm still cold.

Quote: Good Morning Everyone...

Rain here today. was pouring and thundering and lightning last night when I was planning on grilling my dinner....Ugh..so in went the steak into the frying pan...not as good.

Off to work. I am sure I will have plenty on my desk after a few days away from the office...
    Sgrealtor1: I'm an apt. dweller so I don't have a grill. But I love steak. Usually I cook it in my oven. But I got industrious this weekend and cleaned the oven and didn't want to mess it up last night. I had a lovely NY strip that I needed to cook. I sliced it on the bias and marinated it with soy sauce for a bit. Then I stir fried it with some garlic, mushrooms and 2 TB of the WF marmalade. Poured on top of a bed of cauli rice. OMG it was so good. Most of my thrown together meals (no recipe) don't work out. This was a keeper. I still prefer a nice steak on the grill though.
  • My husband and I also BBQ in the winter. Granted we must clear a foot and a half of snow off the deck to even reach the BBQ. I find -30C weather really teaches you to grill quickly. Nice thing about grilling in the winter is standing next to the warm BBQ and not wearing a jacket.

As for the weather today, it's actually still warm in Edmonton at 14C. Next week will be low single digits and snow in the forecast.
  • Liana - thanks for the links! I actually have allergies to some spices, too - like paprika, and a couple other things. And beans are not my friends - except for green beans. Good point about the cafe burgers - I did ask and they told me they were all meat - sometimes spices get added in to meat as well and I have to be careful with those Going to check out your links now - I use my fitness pal and I'm not sure how to change my calorie/macro balance phasing off...
  • Quote: What does everyone do to ensure you are getting all your water in for the day?
    I also try to stick to a schedule - I try to drink nearly all my water before I leave work to pick up my children from school. Our evenings are so hectic with their activities (and not always in places with bathrooms!) so I like to be mostly done by then, except for what I drink with dinner, snack & pills. Also, I use a hydration calculator online to determine how much I should be drinking - it accounts for the fact that I live in a dry environment at a high altitude, my current weight, etc., so I feel confident I am drinking enough, but not too much (I get really sloshy & uncomfy when I drink too much).
  • Quote: What does everyone do to ensure you are getting all your water in for the day?
    I have a 1000 ml Nalgene bottle that I fill up at work, and I usually bring a 1L bottle of water that I've flavored at home with me. I finish one of the two before lunch, and the 2nd between lunch and leaving work for the day.

I'm also a BIG coffee drinker, so I will NOT allow myself a coffee after my morning joe unless I've finished one of my two bottles, plus a cup of herbal tea (to offset the extra caffeine). Sometimes that alone is enough to motivate me to get that water in!
  • I'm surprised to hear how many people are drinking 100+ oz per day. Is there a reason for this? Do you find your losses are smaller when you drink less?

I average around 80oz a day and thought I was doing pretty well. On the days when I do drink more, I find I'm making far too many trips to the bathroom.
  • I will grill all winter without a problem.....last night it was raining so hard and thunder and lightening like nuts. Storm was right on top of us...car alarms were going off all over the neighborhood lol....I refuse to stand out there grilling in that lol.
  • I drink over 100oz a day, and I have to "make water" ALL the time!!! But I find I myself more thirsty since I've started the program. I don't know if more is better or worse though
  • Quote: I'm surprised to hear how many people are drinking 100+ oz per day. Is there a reason for this? Do you find your losses are smaller when you drink less?

I average around 80oz a day and thought I was doing pretty well. On the days when I do drink more, I find I'm making far too many trips to the bathroom.
    My average is about that much. I use a regular drinking glass which holds 16 oz. I drink 1 before I go to work, 4 at work and usually 2 more before the end of the day. On weekends I fill my KleenCanteen(24oz) up 3 times and know that I've had my required amount if I finish all 3. I had read on here early on that not drinking at least the required amount (64oz) would slow down losses. But I have always been a big water drinker so 100 oz has never been a problem. I'm sure most days I get more. It just feels weird not to have a glass of water at my side all the time.
  • Quote: I drink over 100oz a day, and I have to "make water" ALL the time!!! But I find I myself more thirsty since I've started the program. I don't know if more is better or worse though
    I have a 12 oz mug at work and fill it in the morning and down that. Then I make my usual coffee/IP Vanilla over ice. Then I fill it up again and down that after. Then I fill it up again and sip on it until lunch. Then I fill it up again and down that with lunch. Then I fill it up again and sip on it until snack. Then I down it again with snack. Then I fill it up again and sip on it until the end of the day.

I go home and drink a 12 oz glass of water while I make dinner. I have some Splenda tea with my dinner and drink another 12 oz glass of water before bed.

So let me get my calculations in as I did better actually keeping up with it when I was doing it with water bottles.

12 oz (morning)
    12 oz (after coffee)
    12 oz (mid-morning)
    12 oz (with lunch)
    12 oz (afternoon)
    12 oz (with snack)
    12 oz (til EOD)
    12 oz (cooking dinner)
    12 oz (before bed)

108 oz total.
  • Quote: I'm surprised to hear how many people are drinking 100+ oz per day. Is there a reason for this? Do you find your losses are smaller when you drink less?

I drink that much because it is how much the hydration calculator I use recommends. I started out needing 150 oz of water and I am down to 100. The high altitude and dry climate adds 15 oz to my recommended intake. Thankfully the number goes down as my weight does! I've always felt good when drinking the recommended amount. And I do have to visit the facilities quite often, but I am peeing off the pounds, so that's good!
  • I drink about 130oz of water a day plus 2 cups of coffee and sometimes a cup or two of herbal tea. Yes, I am going to the bathroom all day long! I also usually have to get up at least once a night. I have found the more water I drink, the better my WIs.

Everyone's hydration needs are going to be a bit different. I have hypothyroidism and so the big C (in the bathroom) is a normal challenge for me which I combat by drinking plenty of water. Water intake isn't just directly related to the losses, it's also very important for overall cell/body health! When I first upped my water intake I was in the bathroom a LOT more, but eventually my body adjusted and I wouldn't say I go more often than anyone else

One thing to remember too - very often when we think we are hungry, we are actually THIRSTY! It's one of the tricks I learned the first time I did P1....when those hunger feelings hit, reach for water before food - if the hunger goes away after 20 minutes or so, you weren't really hungry at all, your body needed some H20!