Jeans that work for me (size range: 8-12)

• Hi everyone!

Since we all have trouble finding jeans, regardless of our size, I thought I would list models that I find keep everything together and don't look ridiculous. I wear skinny jeans only so I strongly encourage people to list their own cut preferences.

Size range: 8-12
    Current weight: 162
    Height: 5'4 (not petite but not regular either...)
    Rise preference: Medium to high
    Cut: skinny
    Stretch preference: a little
    Body shape: hourglass. The shape that has gaping at the waist but everything else fits.

Brand: J.Crew
    Model: Toothpick ankle
    Fit: skinny
    Stretch: the wash I have (medium wash), very stretchy
    Rise: High on me, probably medium on taller people
    My size: 29
    Pro/cons: Expensive but found mine for $60 CAD, always stock them

Brand: Old Navy
    Model: Rockstar
    Fit: skinny
    Stretch: very stretch but runs very small!
    Rise: Medium on me, probably low on tall people
    My size: 12 in a light wash
    Pro/cons: Inexpensive and often on sale, sizes and quality differ depending on wash, stretch out a lot.

Brand: Citizens of Humanity
    Model: Rocket
    Fit: Skinny
    Stretch: Not sure since I've only owned a pair. I'd say not so stretchy.
    Rise: High
    My size: 32 (although too big at the moment)
    Pro/cons: Super expensive (wait for a sale!), amazing durability (no thigh wear as of yet), not available in different inseam lengths in most stores (have to roll mine)

So there you go everyone! Hope that can help someone.
  • Ohhhhh I will play!!

Size range: 6- 8
    Current weight: 155
    Height: 5'5
    Cut: tapered
    Stretch preference: its gotta have some
    Body shape: apple

Brand: Gloria Vanderbilt Amanda jeans
    Fit: tapered
    Stretch: mod stretchy
    Rise: higher than average
    My size: 6
    Pro/cons: Can be found at Kohls for as low as $19. Only the jeans fit me in a 6; the colored jeans I need to get an 8. Weird......
  • Quote: Ohhhhh I will play!!

Pro/cons: Can be found at Kohls for as low as $19. Only the jeans fit me in a 6; the colored jeans I need to get an 8. Weird......
    Whoa, what a coincidence. I bought a pair (sz 6) of these CHEAP at Kohl's and LOVE THEM.
  • Oh I am DYING to see some posts on a boot cut, medium rise with a little stretch, in size range 8 - 12!!
  • Quote: Oh I am DYING to see some posts on a boot cut, medium rise with a little stretch, in size range 8 - 12!!
    I've had a lot of success with Guess jeans in size 8. Most of them have a 34" inseam, which I need and is relatively rare in jeans (at least in Canada).

F.
  • Quote: Oh I am DYING to see some posts on a boot cut, medium rise with a little stretch, in size range 8 - 12!!
    Zara has really good stretchy jeans bootcut and flared jeans in a size 8. The denim-stretch balance is good and the rise is at least belly-button height.

Mango also has really good stretchy jeans made of quality denim as opposed to glorified jegging fabric as happens with some brands.

I'm 5'7 apple and I've found that both Zara and Mango jeans in bootcut and flared styles tend to run REALLY long for some reason so you may have to fold or hem or wear heels with them.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by carebearx3 View Post
    Ohhhhh I will play!!

Quote: Whoa, what a coincidence. I bought a pair (sz 6) of these CHEAP at Kohl's and LOVE THEM.
    Okay, I lied. The jeans were an 8 not a 6. Ouch. Shudda checked before posting.

FLM, 34" inseam = tall!! (Envious . . . )
  • Here to join in!

I only know of one pair of jeans that truly fit, but hopefully it still helps someone!

Size range: 14-16
    Current weight: 174 lbs
    Height: 5' 9"
    Rise preference: Low to Medium
    Cut: Straight leg or Bootcut; always Tall!
    Stretch preference: a little
    Body shape: Hourglass to Pear. Skinny jeans are out of the question, my thighs and calf muscles usually don't fit in the legs lol.

Model: The Flirt
    Fit: Semi-Curvy; straight from waist to hip with fuller thigh
    Stretch: A little tight right out of the dryer, but they stretch into a comfortable fit by the end of the day. Wear them for 3+ days though and they start to slip off!
    Rise: Low
    My size: 14
    Pro/cons:

Pros - Usually very affordable, sometimes on sale in the teens but mostly in the $20-30s range. Old Navy usually has them, seen them for years in the outlet store.

Cons - If you're a bigger, curvier girl like me, you don't get the fun colors. Skinny jeans and slim fit have a larger variety of washes and colors while the curvy and larger styles seem to just have to almost blah jean washes. Also, beware plumber's crack. Wear long shirts with these!

This next one isn't considered 'jeans' more than it is khaki, but I find that at my size it's somehow easier to find khaki or dress slacks that fit much much better than any pair of jeans I find.

Model: The Sweetheart
    Fit: Curvy; curvy shape with a defined waist
    Stretch: Isn't very stretchy, but the tailoring is perfect for my body. No strange gap at the lower back or ill fitting waist. Also, doesn't cut in to your stomach when sitting.
    Rise: Low
    Pro/cons:

Pros - I can wear these anywhere! They looked good with my work uniform, looked good in an interview, looked good at Choir, and looked good wearing them casual. The dye also really holds the color well, I don't worry about fading.

Cons - Sadly I found this in only black and khaki. Of course, the less curvy fits had other colors such as navy blue.

***I checked online and found there are a few more washes for the Flirt and Sweetheart, but in the store I only found two for each! So, try them on in store and order a bigger variety online.

***(edit again)

I was just given a pair of jeans as a gift, and they fit! So I thought I'd add them to my post

Brand: Jones New York
    Model: Signature Cotton Jeans
    Fit: Curvy, Straight Leg
    Stretch: Not so much stretchy as they are relaxed. They have room in them and stretch where you need to bend such as the hip or knee.
    Rise: High
    Pro/cons:
    Pros-Really casual feel, but very professional look. I'd wear these for casual Friday or for everyday wear.

Cons- They don't have back pockets
  • Hope this helps someone. I've went from more expensive jeans to less expensive jeans.

Size range: 12-14
    Current weight: 191
    Height: 5'6
    Rise preference: Medium
    Cut: Bootcut (for this venture. I've yet to find a skinny jean that fits really well)
    Stretch preference: A little bit of stretch, but not too much.
    Body shape: Spoon http://www.shopyourshape.com/body-sh...on-body-shape/ Basically, I have big hips that are “shelfy” but not much of a butt. It’s weird.

Brand: Levi
    Model: Demi Curve Bootcut
    Fit: Bootcut
    Stretch: A little
    Rise: Sits at hips
    Size: 14
    Pro/Cons: Expensive, but high quality. Probably not a jean to buy if you’re moving between sizes rapidly.

Brand: Gap
    Model: 1969 Bootcut Jean
    Stretch: Some
    Rise: Mid-Rise
    Size: 31, Long inseam (Depends on the type of shoes you want to wear. The medium inseam is too short for me for anything other than very flat flats)
    Pro: I love the way these jeans fit at my waist. You know how your belly sometimes puckers out over the top of your jeans a little because the jean rolls? I don’t mean a muffin top, but it’s something else that annoys me about non-structured jeans. These don’t do that, and I looooove it!
    Cons: You have to be careful about inseam. They are prone to be a little short, and they will get shorter in the wash. Also, they have very shallow pockets.

Brand: Levi Strauss & Co
    Model: Signature Women’s Curvy
    Stretch: Pretty stretchy
    Rise: Mid-Rise
    Size: 14
    Pro/Cons: These are my go-to jeans while losing weight. You can find them at Walmart on the cheap, and I don’t mind buying them knowing that I won’t be wearing them for very long. While cheap, they’re a good looking jean, and they’re soooo comfortable. Just don’t expect them to last you a long time.