Overnight oats

• Does anyone make these for breakfast?? Could you share some recipes and their calorie content please? I'm looking for some different breakfast ideas that are healthy and low calorie. I'm bored with usual yogurt or cereal or toast and that isn't filling me up and in am ravenous by lunch.
  • I dunno if it's the same thing, but I used to make a big batch of steel cut oats (with half water, half milk) plus apples, nuts, dried berries, raisins, whatever I felt like adding. Cook up a big pot and then divide it into containers to microwave in the morning. I don't think it really needs a recipe as you can just follow the directions on the containers of oats. Steel cut oats work well for this because even after reheating, they don't turn into complete mush.
  • Slenderkitchen has a few variations with nutritional information and also has several other Oat recipes.
  • Oh, and for breakfast I pretty much always go with eggs. I like to batch cook mini quiches and eat two all week for an 80-100 calorie breakfast. Slenderkitchen actually has quite a few recipes that I use for those - the ham crust quiche cupcake and the spinach and sweet potato egg muffin.
  • I love the smoothies.

http://www.theyummylife.com/Oatmeal_Smoothies

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
  • Four parts liquid to one part steel cut oats. Bring the water to a boil, add the oats, bring the mixture back up to the boil, give it a stir or two then put a tight fitting lid on the pot and remove the pot from the heat, allow to sit overnight.

Bear in mind that if you're adding anything to the oats (nuts, raisins, etc.) you should adjust the liquid amount up, generally equal, so 1/2 c. raisins and nuts needs an extra 1/2 cup water.

To give the oats a "deeper" flavor toast them until they're lightly browned and nutty smelling in a dry frying pan before adding to the water. Add them slowly or the boiling water will foam up.

As far as calories, 1/4 c. of [uncooked] steel cut oats is 150 calories.