September Diabetes/Prediabetes Support Chat

You're on Page 2 of 10
Go to
  • Shannon Praying you find the pedal and cord so you can get your fall projects done.

Ruthie Won't take you long to get to 180. I'm going to make stuffed bell pepper tonight for my dinner. I'll eat half and DGS will get the other half for his lunch tomorrow.

dgramie My weight was up 1 lb and fbs was 144 this morning. I went crazy with the carbs yesterday. I think you just say Holiday and I think carby meals. I've got to change that way of thinking especially with the big holidays coming up. Getting back OP today.

I am beginning to have more energy. Not doing actual formal exercise, but I am finding that I not only am seeing the things that need to be done around the house, I'm actually having the energy to do the job. I've been busy cleaning this morning and I still have more to do this afternoon. Go figure. Not only having things to do, but actually wanting to do them and doing them. Great progress. Haven't felt like this in years.
  • My BS has been running high in the mornings, and I'm not even eating carbs! LOL It's the eating in the evening, which I've been doing lately.

Weight has stayed the same.

Shannon, that recipe looks good, but I have to put SOME brown rice in mine because of DH. I have cut back the quantity of rice a lot, and since I used brown rice once instead of white and he said it didn't taste any difference, that is my new recipe!

I sure hope you find your cords and pedals. They HAVE to be somewhere! You wouldn't have pitched them by mistake would you? Hope not!

Dgramie, I have to get moving with the weight loss too. My DR isn't going to be as happy with me as he was last time.

Hi Ruthie! Always good to see you pop your head in. Sounds like you're doing well!
  • Hello everyone
    I'm new to this group and would like to start off with a question, what is FBS?
    My Dr has been telling me that I am pre diabetic for over a year now. I will be going for my 2nd glucose testing on Saturday. I am so afraid of the results, diabetes run on both sides of my family. I started going back to the gym & eating better Aug 11th, I have lost 16 lbs but have a ways to go. My employer started a Biggest Loser challenge on Aug 18th (just in time for motivation) free of charge & the weekly weigh in will result in the biggest loser 1st place $100 & 2nd place $50. The first weigh in was Wed 27th (weigh in every Wed) & I was #18 out of 81, so I need to get into high gear.

HISTORY- on Aug 10th I had a big scare! After shopping with a friend we went to Sonic and bought an oceanwater limeade on the way home. When I walked in my house and sat down I was in a DEEP SLEEP within minutes. I remember a mosquito or something biting me and feeling the sting but I could not wake up no matter how hard I tried. I finally woke up 2.5 hours later but I was so drained that I couldn't sit up or move. I laid there for 20-30 mins because my arms and legs felt like they weighed a ton, never felt so weak/drained before. I was home alone which made it more scary. This is what made me go to the gym and change up my eating habits the very next day!
    I have enjoyed zumba & turbo kickboxing. I am also walking/jogging a mile but my goal is to run a mile and work my way up to running a 5k.

Any advice that anyone is willing to share will be greatly appreciated.
  • Fbs= fasting blood sugar. Mine was 101 today.
    I did good yesterday. Hubby and I did a half mile DVD walk this morning at 6 am. We were shooting for the mile but decided half was enough to start with. We are more likely to so it in the am before kids arrive than in the evening after they leave.
    I have to bake a cake for church today. We are having tacos tonight at church. I should be in great shape calorie wise and be able to have a serving of chips with my taco salad.
    I have started back knitting and my yarn for the ruffle scarves will be in later this wk. hoping to sell some this winter. I did GREAT last winter selling them. I love having a craft going.
    I need to get a tooth fairy pillow made this week to take to my granddaughter. She thinks she has a loose tooth. she will be 6 next month so it's time.
    Have a great day everyone!!
  • Before I went to bed my BS was 92. I had a couple pieces of pepperoni and cheese before bed and I have to get back out of that habit. FBS this morning was 136! I think my poor sleep effects my FBS, so I don't give FBS a lot of weight as long as my A1c is good.

Welcome Caramel33! Dgramie, answered your question that FBS is fasting blood sugar...the first blood sugar test of the day, taken when you get up after an 8-12 hour fast overnight. It can also be called FBG, or fasting blood glucose.

Right now we have more pre-diabetics posting here than actual diabetics, so you will be in good company.

Depending on this coming glucose test, you should probably get a blood sugar meter and start testing your blood. If you are not actually diabetic, insurance won't pay for the strips, so you might want to go with what some of us use, a Relion Meter from WalMart. The strips are only $9 for 50 strips. You can discuss this with your doctor.

That episode when you had to take that 2 hr nap could have been caused by high blood sugar. If you had a meter, you could have tested your blood sugar to see if that was the case.

You seem to be doing very well with your exercise! That will really help with your BS.

Stick around and join in with our discussions. Some of us, like me for instance, have a habit of getting very long winded, LOL, but you will get lots of information about diabetes here. We tend to try different things and then report back on what helped and what didn't. We have discovered that each person is individual, and what works for some, doesn't always work for others.

Dgramie, I can imagine you would be too tired to exercise after a day of watching those kids, so you are smart to get it in before they arrive. It's OK to start out slow and build up. In time a mile will feel like nothing to you!

I used to do a lot of crocheting and now that I'm retired you would think I would have more time to do it, but now I can't get into it again. I do a lot of reading in my spare time. Wait a minute, ALL my time is spare time! LOL
  • Caramel33 WELCOME!!! I think dgramie and Carol Sue already answered your questions. However, please always feel free to ask. I was born and raised in Waco, but lived about in the Dallas area for about 7yrs after I graduated from school. I think everybody from Waco moved to Dallas, Austin or Houston after graduation. LOL. Left TX and moved to FL and then here in SC after my 2nd hubby died and I married my 3rd hubby.

My fbs was 91, but sure it was a fluke. Weight was up 3 lbs today. This seems to be a pattern that I have really got to find a way to change. I'll be glad when the new book gets here. I am suddenly craving sweets and wanting to eat at night. So today I got up and ate breakfast before going to the store. I think the low reading caused me to need it. I had 1/2 banana and 2 eggs with a slice of Canadian bacon and a slice of American cheese.

Decided not to go to church tonight because it is fellowship night and lots of tempting food. I've got fasting blood work to be done in the morning and really don't want to screw it up any more than it will be from my summer of trying to get back OP since our trip. How long does it take to get me back OP. At this point, I can't blame it on the trip any more.

Just trying to keep the calories under 1400 each day.
  • Caramel welcome! I am also prediabetic. Sounds like you are on the right track. I totally agree that you should pick up a meter. I highly recommend the Relion from Walmart. The "prime" version has low priced strips that are great for those of us who get no insurance coverage.

I finally had a full day on plan of no wheat, no sugar! Hopefully getting back on track!
  • Hello ladies thanks for answering my question. My mom has an extra monitor it's an
    accu-chek aviva so I will pick it up and start monitoring my BS.
  • I skipped cake at church last night. Woohoo happy dance!!!
    We had tacos , so I made a salad and limited chips. It was so good!! I may make some next week for our dinners.
    My energy was so much better yesterday. I think the 10 min of exercise really helped.
    My fbs was 91 today.
  • Good morning ladies! My daughter was up at the crack of dawn...it's going to be a long tiring day! I think she thought she was starting preschool today since we had the "meet the teachers" visit yesterday. Oh well, I'm going to crash later since I'm trying to cut back on caffeine and only have it at breakfast (since I've been having trouble falling asleep, even with the melatonin). I was able to get everything prepped for my pot roast and in the crockpot super early though plus make breakfast. We have to start getting up earlier and going to bed earlier anyway with preschool starting so I guess she is trying to get me ready, lol!

I found a new (to me) blog with recipes that I thought I would share - this chick's recipes are based on the wheat belly 'diet' - http://www.satisfyingeats.com/

I am actually considering splurging on purchasing her two cookbooks. I have been mostly getting recipes off Pinterest and blogs but I am really a "paper person" and it is driving me crazy trying to pull up recipes when I need them and printing them out. In the new house I am having issues keeping my connection to the printer, not really sure what is going on, but it is becoming a frustration in relation to cooking. I would really love to have some good wheat free cookbooks and so far, looking over her recipes and the table of contents for her cookbooks, I feel like they would be good ones especially the southern food one since there are alot of recipes in there that appeal to me for my family. Blah blah blah, I'm tired and getting wordy, lol!

Still no luck finding the machine cords and pedals :-( Yesterday I spent most of the afternoon in the yard working on raking leaves. We have a tree line around the back with monkey grass around the entire perimeter and it looks to me like the previous family just blew their leaves into that area rather than raking them. It's easily 6 inches deep of leaves, maybe more. I kind of want to get all that out of there before the new leaves fall. As I am raking them I am finding ant and termite colonies up under them and am spraying them. I just feel it's a breeding ground for bugs and my daughter and I are back there playing (the swings are in there as well) - I just don't like the idea of all that up under the leaves we are standing in. But it is a huge amount of leaves and I have no idea if I can get them all up. I mostly raked yesterday and only actually removed one small trailer full. I imagine there are like 20 trailer trips or more left to go for it all to be out. If I even just get the area done that is closest to the house where the swings are I'd be satisfied so I'm just working in that area to start.

Good job dgramie on the eating at church last night!
  • Trish, I think God will forgive you for skipping church fellowship night. It is best when you have that blood work coming up. I will be waiting to hear your results and I'm sure you will be, too.

I was craving sweets a little bit yesterday, too, but there aren't any in the house right now! I ate a tomato sandwich yesterday and I think the bread gave me sugar cravings, even though it was wheat bread. Doesn't seem to matter to my body. Bread is bread.

Dgramie, exercise always give me more energy, too. The biggest thing is getting myself to get started. Once I do it, I realize how much better it makes me feel. Good for you on skipping the cake! Every time you do that it gives you more power to do it again the next time!

Shannon, good for you for getting back on track.
  • Well, I got up and got to the doctor's office by a little after 9. Told the lady at the desk that I was early because I thought the traffic would be worse with kids in school. I was amazed that the girl came out and got me before I could even read one chapter in my book. I was through, stopped by the bank and home by the time that my 9:30. LOL 9:30 was the time for my appt. Wish it worked that way when you went to see the doctor. Get test results next Wednesday morning. Just not sure how they are going to turn out. My weight was back down about a lb or so from my low. FBS was 128 and that's with the 1/2 Metformin... 500 mg. I took it at 7pm. I just may have to eat something around 8ish and take it. I did eat more of a CAD meal at lunch yesterday and will probably be doing that today and tomorrow. I did have a teaspoon of CO in my coffee this morning.

Put the breakfast count on MFP and I've already had loads of fat for today. Not sure I really wanted to do that. Will see how it goes. If the 1000 mg Metformin was the problem, then the fat really should not be a big problem. For one thing, depending on where we eat today, I won't be eating a lot of fat later today. But it does need to be more than my g of protein.

I want to read Wheat Belly book again and wanted to start it today since the book The Doctor's Diet is supposed to come in today. Not sure it will because the book that was supposed to be on the mail truck for delivery Tuesday, didn't come until yesterday. It is a book that goes to my beautician friend Saturday when I go to get my hair done. I wasn't really in a hurry for that one.

Carol Sue I am wondering if I have a problem with wheat. The reason for wanting to read the book again. I saw O'Reilly on his show and he showed a picture of the book and recommended people get off of wheat if they wanted to improve their health. However, I'm not sure I will ever give it up 100%.

I am so looking forward to Dr. Stork's Diet book. I do think eating some fiber especially beans is so good for you and helpful with bs control. DH isn't into beans much so I'm thinking about getting me one of those little crock pots (like I need another crock pot as I have so many sizes now) to cook them fairly fresh to keep on hand. I get tired of meat and they would make a nice evening meal that just might help keep my bs level better. At least that is what I read everywhere about them.

Shannon I wouldn't any kind of brush or leaves piled up. Too many critters can live in them. Good idea to get them out of there. Hopefully with Olivia getting up early means you won't have any problem getting her up for preschool. Will she be going all week or just a few days each week. Maybe you will be able to find some me time eventually. Sounds like she is adjusting very well to her new surroundings. You will have no problem getting back OP. I'm sure your 1 day will turn into many. Thanks for the blog, I've bookmarked it to look at it.

Caramel I think you are wise to get your Mom's monitor and use it to check. It does help keep you on track. Although I get FBS highs in 130 to 140 some (I'm not prediabetic), testing makes me work harder to keep it under that and I'm working at trying to get it under 120s and hopefully eventually under 100s.

dgramie YAY for having no cake at the church dinner. I knew I just could not take the chance of that with my blood draw today. Especially since I was craving something sweet anyway. We have ours after each study series. Our new series starts next Wednesday and last for 7 weeks before our next fellowship dinner which will be 8 weeks from now so maybe I can get my act together so I can brave the next one. I've already told many of them that we don't eat that late.

Well, the mail just came and I have my new book. So going to go look through it before I call my sister for our weekly telephone visit.

Caramel I'm also one of those others who gets wordy and writes long posts that Carol Sue was telling you about.

Have a nice day.
  • Trisha- we have a meal each wed night. The thought is more people will come to wed night activities. I like it because with babysitting till 5 I would be rushed to cook and get out the door on time to keep nursery. I think it's a great theory but a lot of work for the classes that cook.
  • hello :)
    I'm a brand new member who just found the site and I'm trying to get my health back under control. I'm diabetic and only a few pounds under my highest weight. I'm hoping that by getting my weight down I'll be able to get off some of my medications. Life has been especially crazy since I got married a few months ago, moved in with my husband, and now we're moving again (buying a new place and selling the old one). Our kitchen is totally torn apart and I haven't been able to cook for weeks, which makes it all so much harder.

Anyway I thought it would be good to start reaching out to other people for support. I tend to be really hard on myself so chatting things over with other people will be helpful!
  • bmillion WELCOME to our group. So glad you decided to join us. This is a good group for support. Looking forward to getting to know you. I know things aren't easy to do when in the process of moving. Our Shannon on here has just made a move and in process of getting their old house ready to sell. So she will identify with what you are going through. Just know we are here for you and things will get better when you get settled. In the meantime, just do the best you can and don't be hard on yourself.